Question about vaccinations for the Galapagos

sailaway1001

Does anyone know anything about getting vaccinations such as for typhoid or hepatitis A,B? It is suggested by the CDC for going to Ecuador but not sure if that would include the Galapagos. I don't think we're going to any inhabited island (travelling on Silver Galapagos). Thanks.

Does anyone know anything about getting vaccinations such as for typhoid or hepatitis A,B? It is suggested by the CDC for going to Ecuador but not sure if that would include the Galapagos. I don't think we're going to any inhabited island (travelling on Silver Galapagos). Thanks.

The CDC information (at https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/ecuador) says that the information applies to Ecuador INCLUDING the Galapagos Islands.

The CDC recommends the Hep A vaccine because "... you can get hepatitis A through contaminated food or water in Ecuador, regardless of where you are eating or staying."

The CDC recommends the Typhoid vaccine ":... for most travelers, especially if you are staying with friends or relatives, visiting smaller cities or rural areas, or if you are an adventurous eater."

We were on the Silver Galapagos and had already been vaccinated against Hep A and Typhoid. But if you have not been vaccinated then it sounds as if the Hep A vaccine is the more important of the two.

BTW this is one of the best trips we have been on - it is a great experience and Silversea does a great job in the Galapagos.

I will start out by saying, I am a physician.

You need to get vaccinated for hepatitis A& B, if you haven't already, whether or not you are going to the Galapagos. You can easily get hep A&B infection anywhere in the world, including at home.

As for Typhoid vaccine, don't need it for the Galapagos. Typhoid is not a problem there. So if you are only going to be in Quito and the Galapagos, not needed. If you are going to travel elsewhere in Ecuador, you should get it. We did get typhoid vaccine when we went to Peru, and we were glad we did as we met a guy whose travelling companion had gotten sick with typhoid.