Suggestion on what to do in Papeete, French Polynesia?

It has been a quite a few years since I went to Papeete (on a cruise).

I was wondering if anyone here has been to Papeete before?

If so what did you do there?? clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

When are you going?

There were local taxis/people movers, seat minimum 6 comfortably and exceptionally clean and modern, on the wharf to hire. We paid, I think from memory, about $50.00 each, there was 5 of us, and we did a tour right around Papeete to all of the major sights for at least 4 hours. Delightful lady with excellent English - gave us so much history and background into all of sights that she took us to - great tour.

Also on the wharf you are able to purchase your tours for Moorea and Bora Bora if you are also going to these ports. Local operators and their prices were quite reasonable for Tahiti.

Hope this helps

Judy

We ventured around the local markets and then the gardens nearby the port. We then checked out some of the shops as we needed some provisions but things were not that great (cheap) there.

I suggest checking out Trip advisor and also compare the ship's tours to give you an idea of what is of interest and worth seeing and what is available as in tours and such.

We hired a car and downloaded a tour from Frommers I think it is. This guide gave all the stops to see and info about it. Really enjoyed doing it on our own in our own time and with young kids coming home from travelling the last 100 days it was good to get away for some family time!

We also did this in Moorea if you are going here as well.

If your cruise isn't going to Moorea, I'd catch the ferry there for the day.

Otherwise, I walked around the town, visited the Market, ate at the food trucks on the wharf at night, took le truck to International Hotel ? for fabulous island night.

If your cruise isn't going to Moorea, I'd catch the ferry there for the day.

Otherwise, I walked around the town, visited the Market, ate at the food trucks on the wharf at night, took le truck to International Hotel ? for fabulous island night.

A vote for Moorea if time permits and your cruise doesn't visit.:D

We have recently returned from Papeete, as part of a TP cruise Syd to Hnl. We prebooked a circle island tour for US$65pp. Tour lasted approx 9 hrs, doing a full circle. It was great, small van with 9 of us. We stopped for lunch at the Paul Gauguin Restaurant which was nice. The museum is closed, and will be for some time, perhaps a few years. A long day for us, but very much worth the money, and very informative and enjoyable. Gave a great overview of the whole island. The shorter 4 hr ones only do either the east coast of west coast. It was our first time to Papeete, and we thought how similar it was to Fiji. We did not notice many tour operators at this port, mainly the prebooked ones, but this could have been because it was 'end' of season for them. We were expecting a lot more, however we were off and running by 8am. Our ship was in port until 11pm that night. Most people were back onboard for dinner, with very few returning after say 7pm. The markets (I was looking forward to them) were not operating....again perhaps because of the late season. I was surprised at this. Feedback from others that stayed in town, was that the city was expensive, with not a great deal to see. Some spent the day at a resort, and feedback from that sounded very good, esp for snorkelling. Others (we had a huge roll call) caught the ferry over to Moorea, and had a great day there. These people did not prebook as they were waiting to see what the seas were like on the day. Met a couple of others that had caught a taxi out to a surf break, and went surfing for the day. When we return next time, we would utilise the time better in port and do a twilight cruise.

Jen

We are going to Papeete in April and have booked through Unique Tahiti - they are a little more expensive - but have excellent reviews (and now I don’t have the worry about finding a tour when I get to port). [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are going to Papeete in April and have booked through Unique Tahiti - they are a little more expensive - but have excellent reviews (and now I don’t have the worry about finding a tour when I get to port). [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you also going to Bora Bora? If so look up Patrick’s Tours Bora Bora. FANTASTIC tour.

• 1 month later...
Very intetested in options for this port. I have a secret plan and want to see if anyone comes up with it! [emoji12]

Cheers

Catch the ferry to Moorea, book accomodation for the night and join the ship the next day?

You havent mentioned your ininerary so a bit hard to guess, but thats what lots do if the ship allows it.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Itinerary is still awaiting decisions on timing and direction. Have Ovation booked for Nth Bound in April and Solstice booked Sth bound in Sept 2019. Also considering a switch to Ovation Sth bound departing 30 Sept 2019

Cheers