Fairstar Itineraries - 1983

I have many things to tell, but the thing that really interests me to meet again the nurse who was then on board with whom I spent nice moments together

Come on then tell all, heard about you Italian Romeos. lol.:halo:

Hello everyone, maybe I arrived a little late, but I'm happy to find this group. I do not know if I can help you. From September 1983 to March 194 I was boarded on the legendary TSS Fairstar as a cadet officer. I have several photos and if maybe there are people who were on board during that period, I would like to hear them again. Greetings to all the people who read me and remember those good times.;)
Welcome to cruise critic.:D

Mr Walker, my cruise on the Fairstar in 1983 was little more than that for an inside cabin, sharing with 4 strangers on A deck without facitities, bathroom and toilet down the corridor.

Prices are great now compared to then.

We did the exact itinerary with Lautoka as well.

We just visited Mystery Island again last September, 34 years later:eek: and not too much has changed except for a few more huts and selling of tours..........lots of changes in me though haha!!

I agree, cruising has come a long way, with better ships and such but prices are lower.:D

She may have changed a bit since then. ;)

she/he, probably a bit larger, married with 3 kids and a basket full of grandkids. Age does catch up with Nurses even, my wife was one.:o

But at the end of the day 'aint't love grand. Chasing ye olde sweethearts.:halo:

ORLY and what caused you to visit the nursie while on a Fairstar cruise ......?

Oh wait, scratch that .... just being on Fairstar was a reason to visit the nursies.

Fairstar the Fun Ship ... more like Fairstar the F***ship I say *wink*

;p;p;p

My sister went on her as a 19 year old, we all expected a package arriving 9 1/2 months later but apparently she was either a good girl or a lucky girl (or both);p.

My sister went on her as a 19 year old, we all expected a package arriving 9 1/2 months later but apparently she was either a good girl or a lucky girl (or both);p.

I would say your sister was real smart dodging all those flrty Sitmar Italian Officers. I bet your parents were a trifle concerned pre cruise.:halo:

BTW where art the GUT, not heard from him for a while, sneaky cruise perhaps?

BTW where art the GUT, not heard from him for a while, sneaky cruise perhaps?

Was up his way (Wangi) for the weekend, didn't catch up with him but I did think I saw him down at the park, turned out it was one of those guys that looks like people you know.;p

We actually need an Aussie thread devoted to Fairstar ...... and the hijinks on board

Mrs Elf went on Fairstar before I met her -

On her cruise the weather conditions were so rough they emptied the pool.

On my cruise we had a food fight in the MDR every night

Some things never change :eek:

We could share stories about Fairstar such as the time I got the first tender to Mystery Island in 1990 and obtained two of the 3 lobsters they had caught (storm had happened just before we arrived). Our cabin steward saw us bringing them back onboard and said he would fix a special lunch for us on the back deck (It was our honeymoon). When we arrives this is what we found !!!!!

124559043_deckdinner2.jpg.58ec14613bff58cd9acef72072c2c6f6.jpg

We could share stories about Fairstar such as the time I got the first tender to Mystery Island in 1990 and obtained two of the 3 lobsters they had caught (storm had happened just before we arrived). Our cabin steward saw us bringing them back onboard and said he would fix a special lunch for us on the back deck (It was our honeymoon). When we arrives this is what we found !!!!!

[ATTACH]413729[/ATTACH]

Nothing? (no photo):cool:

We actually need an Aussie thread devoted to Fairstar ...... and the hijinks on board

Mrs Elf went on Fairstar before I met her -

On her cruise the weather conditions were so rough they emptied the pool.

On my cruise we had a food fight in the MDR every night

Before the word 'Cruising Bogan' was invented? lol.:') Just good fun by 'larrikins' in those days, I remember them well.:rolleyes:

[ATTACH]413729[/ATTACH]

The photo won't open but I am sure it was a feast.:D

The photo won't open but I am sure it was a feast.:D

But then the Lobbies might have ended up on the Capitanos table.:loudcry: Baked with plenty garlic, chianti wine and spaget.:') So no photo, perhaps of an empty bag. lol.

[ATTACH]413729[/ATTACH]

That looks like the starlight disco by day. I believe that also served as the luggage collection and drop off point. About where that photo was taken, just in front of the bar, I spent plenty of time.

Brings back memories of my cruise with 7 mates. 16 x 1.25ltr bottles of duty free spirits in the cabin for an 11 day cruise to the South Pacific. Drinks in the bar were about $1.50. Drinks in Noumea on our overnight were about $9 each!

Come to think of it not much has changed in the MDRs since then. We would eat 3 or 4 entree, mains and desserts each. Only back in those days we could put all that away and not actually put on weight on during the cruise.

[emoji443] Memories like the cornice of my mind.........

Cheers [emoji482]

Mick

The Fairstar was built as a British troop carrier in 1957 and converted in 1964.

We did a 16 night cruise on 23rd March 1983 with our 2 children. Our inside cabin was at water level in the bowels of the ship. The cost was $1140 each with half price for the children. The cruise went to Vila, Lautoka, Suva, Vavau, Nukualofa & Noumea.

In those days you could do the sail-away with party streamers from the ship to the dock. One guy who tied pantyhose together survived the longest.

We were led onto the ship to The Tavern on the Promenade deck for a welcome drink. It was done like an old pub and you could even carve you name in the benches. As it was our 1st cruise we wondered if the rest of the ship was in the same condition! If I remember correctly, average drinks were about 80 cents. Drinking was heavy as duty-free prices were passed on to the passengers. As we sailed back into Sydney and the Tavern finally closed, some drunk passengers were asleep outside the closed door.

Talking about pantyhose reminds me of the guy who won the fancy dress contest. He went as a "streaker" and opened his long coat to display his "crown jewels" made out of a stuffed pantyhose - the photo shop had record sales of his photo!

As this so called cruise ship rocked and rolled a lot, I spent much time sitting on the midpoint of the Promenade deck. How ships have changed since then!

Brian

With my British Army soldier father and family, we sailed on Nevasa, Southampton to HK in 1956 and returned to UK on Oxfordshire (later TSS Fairstar,) in late 1957. Both Nevasa and Oxfordshire did regular runs carrying troops, their equipment and vehicles from UK to the Far East. Sergeants, Warrant Officers and Officers were permitted to have their families with them. My old man was an Infantry Sergeant Major. Yes, free cruising, but a bit rough around the edges.:loudcry:

I believe the troopships were dispensed with in the mid 1960's, due to the advent of more efficient air travel.:( The troop ships were white with a blue band around upper hull as a marking. From memory operated by British India Steam Navigation. Those early travels must have given me the taste for cruising !!! lol.

If I remember correctly, average drinks were about 80 cents. Drinking was heavy as duty-free prices were passed on to the passengers. As we sailed back into Sydney and the Tavern finally closed, some drunk passengers were asleep outside the closed door.

Brian

Cruised on her in 1986 ... Beers $1, Pizzas from the sharp end $1.

AFAIK - I slept on deck first night and got hosed down by the crew in the morning.

Ahhhh memories I have of the nights I will never remember with people I will never forget!!

• 4 months later...
Unfortunately that website is now gone. I am always happy to try to help as I have a lot of brochures from the late seventies/early eighties on. Un fortunately some are missing such as Fairstar for 1983, but I am always happy to try where I can.

Cheers,

Hi

I know it's been a couple of years since this post but I was wondering if you would have any information on cruises on the Fairstar in November 1985. I did one to the south pacific islands. I know it went to Vanuatu, Noumea and the Isle of Pines and one other island I can't remember (possibly Mystery island). I need dates for the Captain Circle to up my loyalty points. cheers Paula

• 5 years later...

Hi all, I am desperately seeking a sail date and itinerary for a November 1983 cruise on the Fairstar. I need it for the same as above pkn64.

I think it was 9 days to Noumea, Mystery Island, Vila, Isle of Pines. I was in a 4 berth-shared cabin with 2 strangers B106.

Anyone with itineraries for that year? November 8 I think??

20230531_120726.jpg

20230531_120735.jpg

Edited by DOJO1
  • Like 1