Taking Questions -- Cruise Critic Special Coverage of Hurricane Anniversary

Brittany C

Hello,

I am an editor here at Cruise Critic and I will be heading out a month from today to San Juan -- in addition to St.Thomas/St. John and St. Maarten/Martin -- to report on how the cruise ports are doing nearly one year after Hurricanes Maria and Irma hit. I am only in each port for about three days, but would love to hear comments, questions and suggestions about your favorite shore excursions, restaurants or other special places you've come to discover on a cruise in these destinations. Look forward to reporting back.

Thank you!

Good to hear. IMHO, you will be reporting on the incredible resiliency of the islands. They all took a HUGE hit, so bad that many here thought that we'd not stop for many more months, if not years. And they are all operational. Not 100%, that's for sure. But they are back. And all were back within a few weeks or a couple of months.

The parts that really struck me were the conversations with people who had no power. Very strong people.

For Any of the Islands;

Food quality: Do you see a difference in offerings due to limited power supply? Food storage options must have been affected, therefore, the variety or quality may have to change a bit.

Transportation: How is the availability of taxis/buses? I know that they are there, but again, fuel prices, damaged vehicles or even damaged gas stations may affect transportation.

Water supplied in hotel: Please comment on what you experience for showering, etc...

Please comment on the beaches that you visit with respect to food/bar service, available toilets and changing rooms. Please let us know whether loungers/umbrellas are available and in what condition. Cost would be nice as well.

Thanks for doing this. I hope you also have an enjoyable time on your mission.

For Any of the Islands;

Food quality: Do you see a difference in offerings due to limited power supply? Food storage options must have been affected, therefore, the variety or quality may have to change a bit.

Transportation: How is the availability of taxis/buses? I know that they are there, but again, fuel prices, damaged vehicles or even damaged gas stations may affect transportation.

Water supplied in hotel: Please comment on what you experience for showering, etc...

Please comment on the beaches that you visit with respect to food/bar service, available toilets and changing rooms. Please let us know whether loungers/umbrellas are available and in what condition. Cost would be nice as well.

About 3 months ago we stayed in a hotel in San Juan for a week , and none of the things you are asking about were a significant issue even then. Hotels and restaurants (although some were closed and still are) were operating normally in all significant aspects. Taxis and public transit were operating as normal with normal prices. Beach services were normal.

Major hotel chains will not permit their properties, whether company owned or franchised, to operate if they do not meet normal chain operating standards. To do otherwise would risk substantial damage to their image and operation. At most we would find some minor fixing up still going on, but nothing that would significantly impact anyone's stay.

• 1 month later...
For Any of the Islands;

Hi there!

njhorseman is correct -- A lot is business as usual in San Juan. I returned from the trip at the end of last week and the Cruise Critic writeup will be published some time in mid-August (I will post here). A few hotels have still not reopened, including the Ritz-Carlton, Hilton and Conquistador resort in Fajardo. But for the businesses that ARE open, service is back to normal and the beer is ice cold.

We saw plenty of taxis and rideshare companies have made it to San Juan as well. The free trolley around Old San Juan was operating a normal route.

We stayed at a bed and breakfast in Old San Juan and experienced no water issues or anything like that. The only beach we were able to properly visit was Isla Verde, and with the Ritz closed there weren't rentals at that end, but some concessions appeared open at the far end. Plenty of amenities seemed available across the way in Condado (beach and watersport rentals, concessions).

Stay tuned for our anniversary coverage, but in the meantime, Puerto Rico and the Caribbean are open! Enjoy!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Cruise Critic Editor

I think cruise passengers would like to know:

- how is the shopping at the pier, and the downtown areas. Still many shuttered storefronts or does it look like it used to with lots of stores open and waiting? Are there plenty of gift/tourist shops, as well as luxury shopping?

- same question for bars and restaurants at the pier or close by.

- If you see a port when a ship comes in, are there plenty of taxies waiting for do it yourselfers?

- For St. Thomas and St. Maarten, if you get to the popular beaches, how do they look? plenty of sand or robbed of sand? Are there bars and restaurants operating (reports of Orient Beach were quite upsetting!)

- Road conditions - will people feel safe and comfortable renting cars and driving themselves?

• 2 weeks later...