Looking for other active couples to travel with.

nancyshaw

We are in our mid 60s. Active, usually like sailing on Viking, Oceania and have done many years on Celebrity and now not so eager to sail Celebrity anymore.

After sailing with others for many years we find that our companions have become sedentary or disinterested in being active in general.

Since we have traveled with others we have not had many opportunities to mingle and meet.

So I thought I would see who may respond to this.

We have cruised Oceania five times on four different ships and all have been exceptional. we think the best time to meet people is at trivia time. We have found it to be quite relaxing with no children running around.the specialty restaurants are included and anytime seating in the GDR sit by yourself or join a table

I'm mid-60's and don't tell others about my health and don't want to hear about anyone else's health either. To be honest, when someone starts talking ailments/health/doctors, I try to change the subject. It gets difficult, though, when people find out I'm a nurse.....they seem to think that I want to discuss their illnesses, but I don't. ;)

It is also polite to not ask about someones health, the people you meet are new to you, and my health is none of their business or their health mine

• 4 weeks later...

We are an active mature Israeli couple in our late 60s both fluent English speakers – mother-tongue level.

Dec 9 / 23, 2018 – we’ll be on the Celebrity Eclipse for a 14 nights cruise from / to Buenos Aires.

We welcome the chance to meet fellow-mind travelers on the cruise.

Would love to meet you but we are not on that cruise. It is a lovely ship and a wonderful itinerary. Food is subjective. We have been on the Eclipse many times and really enjoyed it. Since suites now eat in a different dining room, the quality in the Main dining room has suffered.

Our next sailing is on the Viking Ocean in February. We hope to also meet others of like minds on it. We love to walk, play trivia, read, shop, use the gym, walk on deck. Keep in touch, you never know when we may meet up on the same ship at the same time.

Bravo [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bravo X 2!

Nancy, I see your comments as very sincere. But no matter what you say or how you say it, someone is going to get offended or defensive.

I'm a late 60's senior who is limited because of extensive leg injuries during my army days. I just can't go like I used to but I'm not going to attack you for your abilities and desire to keep doing an active lifestyle.

Unfortunately, there are many on CC who think that it is not a free discussion forum but instead an argument, attack, belittle and blame forum.

Keep on keeping on!

Would love to meet you but we are not on that cruise. It is a lovely ship and a wonderful itinerary. Food is subjective. We have been on the Eclipse many times and really enjoyed it. Since suites now eat in a different dining room, the quality in the Main dining room has suffered.

Our next sailing is on the Viking Ocean in February. We hope to also meet others of like minds on it. We love to walk, play trivia, read, shop, use the gym, walk on deck. Keep in touch, you never know when we may meet up on the same ship at the same time.

Thanks for the message of welcome, much appreciated.

Bravo X 2!

Nancy, I see your comments as very sincere. But no matter what you say or how you say it, someone is going to get offended or defensive.

I'm a late 60's senior who is limited because of extensive leg injuries during my army days. I just can't go like I used to but I'm not going to attack you for your abilities and desire to keep doing an active lifestyle.

Unfortunately, there are many on CC who think that it is not a free discussion forum but instead an argument, attack, belittle and blame forum.

Keep on keeping on!

Yes I have encountered incredible hostility and pure vile from some. Accusatory, slanderous with stalking actions. One person in particular has followed me on cruise critic, no matter how many times I have changed my user name. A female and a male have maligned me for several years now.. I have had the police involved in the matter and cruise critic monitor their activity. So you have to be careful here, there are some very vicious, mentally ill people here.

I am sorry for your injuries. I salute you for your service to our country. There is no greater debt to be paid by the rest of us to you. Would love to spend time with you on any cruise, in all the ways that you are able to be comfortable. We have met wonderful people both on CC and on our cruises.

Unfortunately there are always a few who seem to live for harassing others.

Hi ..sure know how you feel...We are heavy cruisers, over 60, very active. We have sailed numerous cruises with friends and although we love our friends they just seem to hold us back...They want to eat-nap-just take tour bus options....Our last cruise my husband did a tour with him and he just kept falling asleep on the tour....We want active.....its ok if you dont want to do something we are doing but also dont make us feel like we have to be with you 24-7....so onward.....and we move along to be active....still will be friends I just dont know about traveling a lot together......

Hi ..sure know how you feel...We are heavy cruisers, over 60, very active. We have sailed numerous cruises with friends and although we love our friends they just seem to hold us back...They want to eat-nap-just take tour bus options....Our last cruise my husband did a tour with him and he just kept falling asleep on the tour....We want active.....its ok if you dont want to do something we are doing but also dont make us feel like we have to be with you 24-7....so onward.....and we move along to be active....still will be friends I just dont know about traveling a lot together......

Thank you for saying this. We love our friends and have done all we can to encourage a more active life style but realized that you cant make anyone do anything they dont want to. It took a long time to realize that. In the meantime we were becoming more and more sedentary and not doing the things we enjoy or doing them on our own. That is fine too but then we might as well travel by ourselves.

I really respect you for staying/being active. I love to read, can be compulsive about it, and can see now at 67 that I Don't have the agility I could have had. Another thought, some loved ones of ours were hit with him being diagnosed with Lou Gerigs disease, this for a guy who was active, non-drinker, wholesome lifestyle, close to retirement. So sobering. Makes me want to prod my husb into more or longer cruises!! Am fortunate that he keeps his eye wisely on our spending. For me,cruising is addictive!!

I really respect you for staying/being active. I love to read, can be compulsive about it, and can see now at 67 that I Don't have the agility I could have had. Another thought, some loved ones of ours were hit with him being diagnosed with Lou Gerigs disease, this for a guy who was active, non-drinker, wholesome lifestyle, close to retirement. So sobering. Makes me want to prod my husb into more or longer cruises!! Am fortunate that he keeps his eye wisely on our spending. For me,cruising is addictive!!

I am an avid reader as well. Do all you can while you can because you never know when you wont be able to. I just dont know how I let so many years go by, waiting for our friends to begin to do the things we enjoy, always hoping that maybe next cruise. Well next cruise would come and there would be no improvement in the level of activity and in most cases things just got worse.

Yoga has helped a great deal to be flexible/agile. In the Galapagos I was able to skip over the boulders like a little goat. It made me feel good that I could still do that. Although we traveled with friends, they did not participate. Makes you wonder, why go to the Galapagos if you are going to stay back on the ship or sit on the beach while all are in the water. But it is what it is.

The take away from all this is dont wait to do things. You will look back and think , why didnt I while I could? What was I waiting for?

We are still looking for others to join us. Our cruise is not till Feb because of family obligations, so it is a long time away. Not sure what I will be able to do by that time, but I try every day to walk, to go to yoga, to stay in shape as best I can.

nancyshaw -

We are an active couple (63/64) that is also taking advantage of doing what we can, while we can. We semi-retired 3 years ago and cruise as often as possible. As long as we have onboard phone & internet we are good to go and can continue our work as needed. We have sailed most all of the mass-market cruise lines as well as the 4 major luxury lines and have pretty much settled with Regent as our cruise home-away-from-home. Each time we board one of their small (480-750 passengers max) ships we meet crew from various previous cruises that greet us like family. And Regent's loyal following means that we'll also likely see others that we've sailed with over the years. Yes, Regent has its share of limited-mobility guests but an amazing number of senior couples and singles that can run circles around some of the younger ones. Would encourage you to join us!

nancyshaw -

We are an active couple (63/64) that is also taking advantage of doing what we can, while we can. We semi-retired 3 years ago and cruise as often as possible. As long as we have onboard phone & internet we are good to go and can continue our work as needed. We have sailed most all of the mass-market cruise lines as well as the 4 major luxury lines and have pretty much settled with Regent as our cruise home-away-from-home. Each time we board one of their small (480-750 passengers max) ships we meet crew from various previous cruises that greet us like family. And Regent's loyal following means that we'll also likely see others that we've sailed with over the years. Yes, Regent has its share of limited-mobility guests but an amazing number of senior couples and singles that can run circles around some of the younger ones. Would encourage you to join us!

Thank you Kwaj....

We are trying Viking O next after doing over 40 cruises with Celeb. We have tried Azamara and met wonderful people on our first one. The second one, we went with friends and therefore of course were obliged to spend our time with them. That was 9 years ago.

Next we are travelling by ourselves again on the smaller ship, I think the Viking O has only 900 approx.

Thank you Kwaj....

We are trying Viking O next after doing over 40 cruises with Celeb. We have tried Azamara and met wonderful people on our first one. The second one, we went with friends and therefore of course were obliged to spend our time with them. That was 9 years ago.

Next we are travelling by ourselves again on the smaller ship, I think the Viking O has only 900 approx.

We just did a Viking Ocean cruise in March and it was so wonderful. We have another river cruise booked and another ocean cruise. In between we have an Azamara cruise, bu I think Viking will hold first place. Still looking forward to the Azamara. It has an unusual itinerary. It sails from NYC. We have 1 sea day then dock in Charleston, SC for 2 nights. After that we have 2 sea days on the way to Hamilton Bermuda where we will dock on Front St for 2 nights. And then another sea day on the way back to NY.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 10 months later...
On 3/13/2018 at 11:55 AM, Essiesmom said:

Perhaps on the next cruise, ask to share tables in the MDR, join teams for trivia. EM

I met so many people like this.  I travel with my sisters and so I often end up spending time alone but have found so many people to have fun with during trivia or karaoke!  We see each all over the ship, it's great!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2018 at 4:57 PM, nancyshaw said:

Definitely the way to meet others is to do things. We do a lot of trivia, walk a few miles on deck, go into the gym, the pool, etc. On the carib itins , go into the towns for a bit in the mornings, back on ship by noon...hate the heat. Have been many times, so no tours. But do all kinds of private tours in ports of other itineraries.

Really tours can be more adventurous than sitting in a bus.  Snorkeling, zip lining and hiking are all offered on Caribbean cruises.  You will meet like minded people on the excursions and can meet after for drinks, dinner, etc.  Consider befriending people younger than yourself.  DH and I always travel alone, but love meeting others while we cruise.  The more active seniors will be in the gym early in the am on the ship.  Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I know you started this a year ago, but I just saw it today.  I can not say enough about the benefits of roll call.  Several years ago Princess tried establishing it own roll call site.  I logged on and started chatting with a man from Boston (we are from New York).  We found that we had a lot in common and a similar sense of humor.  We spent our entire Mediterranean cruise together and our spouses got along as well.  We have been friends ever since.  Unfortunately, he passed away and we haven't been able to cruise together, but they visited us and we have met for lunch a few times.  His wife and I are now life-time Facebook friends.  On a site set up for the launch of the then new Royal Princess (Everything you wanted to know...),  I found a group traveling the same day that we were and we had tea together, took photos together and did some excursions together.   You never know who you will meet on the roll calls.  Some will be your traveling companions with some shared interests and some will be come lifelong friends.  For every cruise, I log onto the Roll Call.  Maybe we will just share ideas. maybe we will do one fun activity or maybe, as one trip, we will find a riotous group of like-minded people who come together in one truly great suite party. (P.S. we are 60's and 70's)  Next sailing is Dec. 1st!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you for posting. It has been a while since I first posted that.  Our last cruise was in February 19 with Viking O. It was wonderful. Met some lovely people. We traveled by ourselves for the first time in a long while.

Yes roll calls can be  great place to make acquaintances.