Live from Silver Muse: Voyage #6815; Athens to Rome, Jun 15 – 24, 2018

Stumblefoot

Stumblefoot,

I have a question that am hoping you can help me out with. We have cruised the Med with Regents and Seabourn and we will be on the the Muse on July 1. My question is in regards to gentlemen and sports coats. I know the official is Jackets every night except casual and formal is optional in most restaurants and public spaces, but wondered what the majority are wearing. I appreciate your help with this as we prepare to pack and enjoy our trip in a couple weeks.

Best,

cruiserj12

Stumblefoot,

I have a question that am hoping you can help me out with. We have cruised the Med with Regents and Seabourn and we will be on the the Muse on July 1. My question is in regards to gentlemen and sports coats. I know the official is Jackets every night except casual and formal is optional in most restaurants and public spaces, but wondered what the majority are wearing. I appreciate your help with this as we prepare to pack and enjoy our trip in a couple weeks.

Best,

cruiserj12

My silversea cruises are generally fairly long. I do not even bring a suit. I bring a blue blazer and a pair of gray slacks that I wear with a shirt and tie on formal nights. On informal nights I typically wear the blazer and khaki trousers. Some guests do wear tuxes, but they are fewer and fewer, And I have never received a censorious look from other guests for my sartorial choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great pictures brought back memories of our first Silversea cruise Istanbul to Athens when we stopped in Rhodes. I have the same pictures. Regarding formal nights,on my first Silversea I only packed a sport coat and tie for formal night. I have now graduated to a dark suit! Not really an issue for me I enjoy the experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To: Mr. Silver - Glad you enjoyed the pics. Thankfully, the rain only lasted about 10-minutes. So, we enjoyed a bit of slipping and sliding on the cobblestone pathways.

To: Wellseasoned - Thank you. You may be right on the photo posting. I find that with the formatting I like to do it's much easier to work on the laptop versus my typical posts from the iPhone.

To: Sakaara - I know what you mean. It's a bit of an odd feeling to know this may be our last great family summer adventure as next year the Silver Princess will hopefully have an internship during her summer break from college.

To: Cruisej12 - I hope JollyJones will chime in too as she is on this voyage as well as the one previous to this one, so can provide a unique perspective as the last voyage had roughly 200 passengers from a single group on board. From my perspective, the dress code is being honored by the passengers. The dress last evening was formal and I'd say roughly one-third of the men were wearing a tuxedo with bow-tie, one-third we wearing a dark suit with long tie, and the remaining were in dinner jackets with dress pants. With the Muse being so contemporary, there really is a lovely mix of dress and I think whatever you feel comfortable wearing you will fit right in. On the informal night all men were wearing jackets in the venue we dined; Silver Note.

enhance

Silver Princess, DW, and Stumblefoot

I do agree with Observer as I too have never received a censorious look from other guests for my sartorial choices.

To: SJS-TX - Glad to have brought back fond memories of your first cruise!

Stay Tuned

Very, very nice, Stumblefoot! Keep having a great trip!

I am surprised that the free wifi won't post photos. That is what I used on our recent Cloud cruise, no problem. But I used tapatalk on an I-Pad rather than my laptop for photos, so maybe that makes a difference.

They block certain sites which potentially cause a drain to the bandwidth available. I’d be surprised if ships have different protocols in place.

The reason Tapatalk works is that the images are uploaded via the app and hosted with them. They don’t block this (thankfully) as I suspect they know it will just be a few images. It’s the perfect tool too as posting and adding images (which I think are resized and compressed before uploading) can be added in the text post in a simple click.

Image hosting sites could have users upload 1000’s of photos which could strangle the internet for others, so it’s not a bad thing. YouTube, Netflix and streaming sites are also banned. There maybe some exceptions, but generally I suspect most cruiselines will be the same. Satellite internet isn’t cheap!

Similarly, if a post is made using images stored on one of these banned sites, then when on board you won’t get to see the images in that post.

In the meantime, keep up the good work stumblefoot...

Lovely family!

Our first cruise on Silversea was also a B2B, Istanbul to Athens.

Our experience was magical.

I often look back at the pictures.

I hope your trip is magical too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

MYKONOS, GREECE

Mon., Jun 18 | 7:00a – 11:00p

To: Les - Thanks for the insight!

To: Spins - Thank you for the lovely sentiments. It has indeed been a magical voyage to date.

To: DaveyWavey & Mudhen - Glad that you are enjoying the report and pics. I have a few more for you today.

-----------------------------

Who is ready for a seaday? Well, today is a whole different type of see 👀 day, as in the kind of goodies we could find on this charming touristy island.

enhance

City of Mykonos

Glamor Abounds

Some argue that Mykonos is the most glamorous of all the Greek Isles. It is as if the Greeks mixed together France’s St. Tropes and Spain’s Ibiza to create their own hedonistic destination.

enhance

One of the Five Famous Windmills

We also had heard that the throngs of tourists don't arrive until July and August, but we found with five cruise ships in the harbor today, it was just as crazy as the height of summer. Thankfully, like Venice, Italy, if you are willing to get off the beaten path, one kind find a more subdued local life.

enhance

enhance

Houses a few blocks from Little Venice

On our own timetable, we explored the little gems along Matoyianni Street and found a perfect little artsy place where everything was produced locally.

enhance

In the end, we had a perfect day.

enhance

Stumblefoot and DW

A New Day at Silversea

In 30-minutes, all passengers have been invited to the Venetian Lounge for a special announcement from Silversea. I passed Chairman Manfredi in Dolce Vita this morning, so I am a bit curious as to this announcement. Is it the news we all received last week, something new, or even a Q & A session? Needless to say, I will report back to you all tomorrow.

No fair making us wait for tomorrow!

Lovely pictures of Mykonos, and of course the family portrait. Did you plan the lighting that way on purpose? You are hiding in the shadows while the two ladies are shining. Kind of how I try to hide in the background and let Chris have the spotlight.

I am a little jealous of the Silver Princess, however. Nobody ever invited me on a SS cruise until I was much older!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

BREAKING NEWS

A New Day at Silversea

To: Spins, DaveyWavey, and JP - You know that I wouldn't leave you hanging. Now, how 'bout the headline above? Do I have you attention? And, JP, you are right on the lighting. I try and stay in the shadows when possible. ;)

To: Mr. Silver - Thanks for the sunny comment. Love it!

And now for the rest of the story

The "exciting news" was nothing more than the news all of us here already know; Royal Caribbean has purchased a two-thirds stake in SS. Jimmy reiterated that SS will operate independent of RC, including the crew members.

My chance encounter with Manfredi this morning was merely because he was on board along with Roberto Martinoli (CEO), Barbara Muckermann (CMO), and Richard Fain (Chairman and CEO of RC) to address the crew. According to other passengers, the four were on board for roughly 3-hours before departing to catch up with another Silversea ship.

One More Thing...

In the video with Manfredi and Richard, do you all hear Richard continually refer to Silversea in the plural form; Silverseas? It's one of those little things that drives an executive consultant like me crazy when firms combine because it gives the impression that larger partner really doesn't truly know the smaller one. Okay, that's all for my rant. :)

Coming Up...

Tomorrow is a real sea day (I imagine we'll still do some shopping on board too), so I'll update with some thoughts on the ship, crew, food, and passengers. Until then...

BREAKING NEWS

A New Day at Silversea

To: Spins, DaveyWavey, and JP - You know that I wouldn't leave you hanging. Now, how 'bout the headline above? Do I have you attention? And, JP, you are right on the lighting. I try and stay in the shadows when possible. ;)

The "exciting news" was nothing more than the news all of us here already know; Royal Caribbean has purchased a two-thirds stake in SS. Jimmy reiterated that SS will operate independent of RC, including the crew members.

My chance encounter with Manfredi this morning was merely because he was on board along with Roberto Martinoli (CEO), Barbara Muckermann (CMO), and Richard Fain (Chairman and CEO of RC) to address the crew. According to other passengers, the four were on board for roughly 3-hours before departing to catch up with another Silversea ship.

That will probably be the Whisper, docked at Santorini today.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

BREAKING NEWS

A New Day at Silversea

One More Thing...

In the video with Manfredi and Richard, do you all hear Richard continually refer to Silversea in the plural form; Silverseas? It's one of those little things that drives an executive consultant like me crazy when firms combine because it gives the impression that larger partner really doesn't truly know the smaller one. Okay, that's all for my rant. :)

Coming Up...

Tomorrow is a real sea day (I imagine we'll still do some shopping on board too), so I'll update with some thoughts on the ship, crew, food, and passengers. Until then...

Yes, I did hear the repeated reference to a plural "Silverseas," and yes it grated.

Good of the leadership to visit ships and talk with the crew. They clearly won't visit the entire fleet. But the visits they do make send an important signal that crew are greatly valued and deserve the respect of hearing from leadership at a time like this.

Yes, I did hear the repeated reference to a plural "Silverseas," and yes it grated.
Good! Glad it wasn’t just me.

Good of the leadership to visit ships and talk with the crew. They clearly won't visit the entire fleet. But the visits they do make send an important signal that crew are greatly valued and deserve the respect of hearing from leadership at a time like this.
Agree 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stumble,

Seems like you and Jolly are in Monemvasia today.

When we were there it was a tender port.

What a spectacular place!

Breathtaking views.

Please enjoy it all.

I am half Greek, family from Pirgos, Samos and Karatepe. I am hoping to get there this Fall to learn about them.

Meanwhile I am living vicariously through you all.

Thanks for taking us along!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BITS & BOBS AT SEA

Traveling between Mykonos, Greece and Valletta, Malta

To: Spins - Glad you are enjoying this thread. And, I really wish we were going to stop in Monemvasia, but alas, we're heading straight to Malta at a snails pace and will arrive tomorrow morning at 7:30a.

Life On Board the Muse

Now that we have had a little time to catch our breath today, I would like to share my perspective on life aboard the Silver Muse.

Passengers

There are a total of 590 passengers representing 22 nationalities sailing on this voyage. 77.4% are represented by three countries; Australia (15.4%), the UK (7.3%) and the US (54.7%). This puts the capacity rate at 99.0% and is the second voyage we have done on the Muse in which both have been sold out. Pretty impressive.

There are also 32 children on board (one of the largest groups of children ever on SS) and kudos go to all of the parents as they have been well behaved. SS has provided a Youth Activities Director and it has infused a wonderful energy into the ship. I know some Cruise Critic folks think children shouldn't sail on SS, but they honestly have not impacted our voyage one bit.

Key staff are as follows:

• Captain, Marco Sangiacomo
  • Staff Captain, Giovanni Mazzella
  • Hotel Director, Paolo Percivale
  • Cruise Director, Jimmy Kovel
  • Assistant Cruise Director, Luke
  • Cruise Consultant, Angel
  • Guest Lecturer, Ira Feldman

Dining

I'm pleased to report that all of our MySilversea reservation requests have been honored and we have been able to dine in both Atlantide and Indochine at any time we have liked.

We have been quite satisfied with the food. We have sailed with executive chef Anne Marie before and it is clear she has each kitchen producing high quality food, just as we experienced last fall.

The key food and beverage managers are:

• Restaurant, Sergiu

• Bar, Erwin

• Atlantide, Mirko

• Indochine, Rajeev

• La Dame, Yoann

• Kaiseki, Theresa

• La Terrazza, Matteo and Abhay

• Hot Rocks, Dipin

• Silver Note, Jini
  • Spaccanapoli, Rabi

We had a problem with an order that we had placed with Special Services early on during our voyage, but I immediately addressed the issue with Paolo and his team rectified the situation immediately. I must say, besides the destinations, the ship management and crew is why we return time and again with Silversea as they honor our requests. It's truly a pleasure to sail on their ships. And, while I certainly believe satisfaction is in the eye of the beholder, table service has been nearly flawless (the only hiccup being lunch today in Atlantide).

One last note, the hardest job on a formal night might just be the Maitre D' of Atlantide. And, it was no different this voyage as the venue was absolutely slammed on our formal night. When we arrived at 8:15p, I found the behavior being exhibited by a few guests towards Mirko absolutely atrocious. In spite of the torrent of criticism and outright hostility, Mirko was the penultimate professional. I'll never understand how upset some people can get when they can't be seated immediately upon arrival at any venue. And, why they have to make such a big deal of it, blows my mind too, ESPECIALLY when the Maitre D' goes out of his way to accommodate them as soon as a table becomes available.

Suite Staff

For us, satisfaction begins with the experience we enjoy in our beautiful suite. Needless to say, our Butler (Denver Alfonso) and Suite Attendant (Wei Jia) have provided excellent service and made our voyage very pleasing. In fact, I would go so far as to say Wei Jia is best the Suite Attendant we have ever had. He is a great credit to an entire ship staff that has truly done a great job of making us feel special.

Design and Operational Wins...

• Pool
    • The railing that runs just below the water line is ingenious. It's very easy to stay in the 7-foot deep end of the pool as long as one wants.

...and Opportunties

• Lunch on Sea Days
    • Closing Kaiseki and opening La Dame for $60/head is bad form. I don't know if anyone dined in La Dame for lunch today.

[*]Windows in Tor's and Fitness Center

• Being 6-foot tall, I hope that with the design of Silver Moon and Dawn, Silversea will raise the window height at least 4" so that blinds don't block a taller person's view of the horizon. It feels odd to not be able to see the horizon without bending down.

In Closing... I'm one happy cruiser!

Stumblefoot -

Thank you so much for the very complete summary. Although many of the names are unfamiliar, it is nice to see that they are doing a good job. I particularly liked your heading "Opportunities" which begs the question - are you in marketing? LOL