For Oceania cruisers considering Azamara

Pirouette

I have cruised a Oceania four times in the last few years and am currently on Azamara from Greenwich to Lisbon. If you are considering Azamara, I invite you to look at my blog and to share your experiences. There are differences between the two cruise lines. I am not an advocate for either and my observations are frank and unfiltered. If you are interested, please follow on the Azamara Greenwich to Lisbon thread.

I have seen your blog on AZ board. We just returned from Viking Ocean. In rating the O, Viking, and AZ, ours would be 1. Oceania 2.Viking Ocean. 3. Azamara.

Oceania has them beat in many categories for us. None are perfect, but O is clearly above the other two in many ways. This of course is our opinion.

On Viking ... a thought. Viking had a loyal river cruise base of customers. Many of these "loyals" then moved on to the Viking ocean cruise product.

I think their positive reviews perhaps result from comparing their river experience to the ocean. Now ... larger cabins, more food choices and just plain more on-board, etc.

I have cruised a Oceania four times in the last few years and am currently on Azamara from Greenwich to Lisbon. If you are considering Azamara, I invite you to look at my blog and to share your experiences. There are differences between the two cruise lines. I am not an advocate for either and my observations are frank and unfiltered. If you are interested, please follow on the Azamara Greenwich to Lisbon thread.

Can you direct me to your blog?

Francestoronto at gmail.com

Frances

Portofitaly, I am curious! Viking Ocean gets so many great reviews, I have been tempted to try them, though thus far I have loved my O experiences. How, in your opinion, does O beat Viking?

When we first boarded VO we were awed by how stunning the ship was. After being on board a few days we became quite disappointed with service being the main issue. Too many new staff members that clearly were not trained.

O has better food and we love the Terrace on O and love dining al fresco when weather warrants it. We also prefer having our food served to us in the buffet rather than watching everyone grab the utensils and then contaminate other food by laying in the wrong tray. Ugh!

We did not care for "The Restaurant" on VO and heard many similar comments from others. Many ate in The World Cafe (buffet) due to this. We skipped our 2 reservations at their Speciality restaurant because people on board we met all complained they did not care for it. Their Italian restaurant was mediocre 1st night and 2nd time was good. Too many inconsistencies everywhere.

VO Spa: I went for a hydrating facial and the machine was broken yet the inexperienced girl kept going. I asked her to please talk to management about this issue because she said she had other women scheduled that day for their facials. I felt she should give them the opportunity to cancel. They did offer me another free facial, but I declined because it was that bad. Also, DH had a massage at same time and said it was mediocre at best and probably one of the worst ones he has ever had too. A waste of money.

Gym on O is great, on VO it has lot's of treadmills but lacking a lot of good equipment.

We did one included excursion and 2 of VO paid ones. They were OK only. We mainly did our own private tours which we prefer anyway.

No adherence to dress code. Seriously, I was appalled by what many were wearing.

No flowers, chocolates, fruit, or gift in stateroom. Small things like this that don't really matter but is noticeable. Somebody has to pay for all those new ships?

These are a few things that we noticed but I have to say that the ship is absolutely gorgeous with plenty of places to hang out and never seemed crowded due to the well done design. Our ship was full and you would not notice it.

VO is still more of a premium line due to service etc. but has the capability of becoming luxury lite like O is with some issues they need to work on.

We're Oceania fans, but for Greek intensive itineraries, I'd send you to Windstar.

https://www.windstarcruises.com/

What has your experience been on pricing comparisons between Windstar and O -- price per day, in your experience, to put them on an apples-to-apples basis? Any comments you have on that subject would be appreciated.

After many sailings on O, we decided to try A because we had heard raves about friendly crew, white nights and more perks. We will probably not sail A again. The food on O was far superior, white nights was about moving furniture and very loud music and so so food.The seating on board was low and uncomfortable. Library was cold with uncomfortable chairs. No afternoon tea like O, but cold, help yourself sandwiches available. The Living Room (Horizons) did not have as many chairs, because of large dance floor and control booth. Instruments were in front of center windows. Card room and internet were also in Horizon. Loveseat in room made it look larger, but was too small for 2 people. The Amazing Evening was wonderful and a highlight of the trip. The crew was not overly friendly and didn't joke around like some waiters we've had on O. We liked Windstar better than A, but O would rate the highest in several categories.

We're Oceania fans, but for Greek intensive itineraries, I'd send you to Windstar.

https://www.windstarcruises.com/

We've sailed on both Windstar and Oceania a number of times. I cruised Istanbul-Athens on Nautica, and Venice-Athens on Star Pride and both were wonderful cruises, with a number of stops at small ports in Greece.

We always choose a cruise primarily for the itinerary. For some itineraries - particularly Caribbean - Windstar has a clear advantage because of the sports platform. When you want to go in the water or take in a beach, Windstar is a much better choice. That being said, we took a cab to the beach in Zakynthos on an O cruise and had a great day.

I had said my next Greek cruise would be only on Windstar because I really wanted to swim in the caldera at Santorini...but when I questioned the captain on our last Windstar cruise, he said the sports platform can only be used when anchored...and ships can't anchor at Santorini! So we're booked on an Oceania Greece-intensive (Athens-Athens) in a couple weeks. Both lines have Greece-intensive cruises, but not many of them. Our O cruise has been fully waitlisted since December.

There are +/- things to be said about both lines. But as much as I enjoyed my very first cruise on Wind Star [ship] I won't repeat the experience 25 years later in the small sailing-ship cabins! I will now sail only on the Star [refurbed Seabourn] ships with large cabins and baths.

...as much as I enjoyed my very first cruise on Wind Star [ship] I won't repeat the experience 25 years later in the small sailing-ship cabins! I will now sail only on the Star [refurbed Seabourn] ships with large cabins and baths.

I guess that we will have to agree to disagree. In our opinion, Windstar butchered the Seabourn ships beyond recognition. Their "new" pool decks, in particular, are literally ridiculous,

Windstar-Star-Pride-Deck-min.jpg

There are times when fixing something on the cheap, LOOKS CHEAP. :eek::loudcry::(:mad:

I guess that we will have to agree to disagree. In our opinion, Windstar butchered the Seabourn ships beyond recognition. Their "new" pool decks, in particular, are literally ridiculous,

Windstar-Star-Pride-Deck-min.jpg

There are times when fixing something on the cheap, LOOKS CHEAP. :eek::loudcry::(:mad:

OMG, they killed it. I've cruised on the original triplets many times and really loved them. Windstar ruined the pool deck.

StanandJim,

"There are times when fixing something on the cheap, LOOKS CHEAP. clear.png?emoji-eek-1725clear.png?emoji-loudcry-1721clear.png?emoji-frown-1741clear.png?emoji-mad-1709"

No argument with that! Originally there were some really gross old raised spas there, so the new things look much better. And the old "pool" was a small rectangle near the entrance to the Compass Rose lounge, complete with portholes looking into the pool water from the entrance to Compass Rose.

I rarely use our own pool, and have never used the pool on any cruise. I often use the spa terrace on Oceania, and the forward spa on the bow on the Star* on Windstar. And the sports platform...I do enjoy telling friends I kayaked in Albania!

So I wasn't really bothered by the pool situation, but I certainly see how it would be awful if you love sunning by the pool. Worst of all are the lifeboats which spoil the view from the sun lounges around the 'pool' area!

That's what makes Cruise Critic so helpful - you get perspectives from many people to help you make the best choice for *your* perfect cruise. And you guys are always SO helpful, and a great source of information and photos! Thanks!

Contessa, if you are still reading this thread, any issues with smoking on O?

A caution to others considering the WS triplets, they allow cigar and pipe smoking on the port side of the outdoor Star Bar. On our Legend cruise there were cigar smokers present seemingly 24/7, with the Star Bar and much of the pool deck rendered uninhabitable due to the wind swirling the cigar smoke everywhere. We always had to get our drinks at the Star Bar and retreat to the obsevation lounge. And we had specifically booked the cruise to lounge outside and drink umbrella drinks...

Contessa, if you are still reading this thread, any issues with smoking on O?

A caution to others considering the WS triplets, they allow cigar and pipe smoking on the port side of the outdoor Star Bar. On our Legend cruise there were cigar smokers present seemingly 24/7, with the Star Bar and much of the pool deck rendered uninhabitable due to the wind swirling the cigar smoke everywhere. We always had to get our drinks at the Star Bar and retreat to the obsevation lounge. And we had specifically booked the cruise to lounge outside and drink umbrella drinks...

I have not ever had an issue with smoking on O and I despise the smell. Hope all is well over on SeaDream board. Sure do miss the gentleman from the "Posh" part of London. ;-)