Able bodied in disabled cabins

Disabled Cruise Travel
Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:15 AM.
Cambridgeshire
3,183 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by Bloodgem
Does anyone know if a pax has been removed from a HC cabin?
I cannot see how this would work from a logistical point of view when the ship is full, which is on the vast majority of cruises. You move a pax from the HC cabin, presumably on the basis that they do not actually need it. What cabin do you relocate them into? Any other pax who definitely needs an HC cabin is not going to be travelling because at the time of booking there was no suitable cabin available.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas, Queen Victoria, Pacific Princess
Cambridgeshire
3,183 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by Hawaiifrank
I realize this thread is a few weeks stale, but I don't want to start a new thread to make an on-time post. Besides, I haven't figured out how to start a new thread with the Android CC app.

I booked a cruise on Carnival Freedom today. I think it's an accessable cabin, the 4J with a forward facing window, but there was no indication that it was accessable until I had selected it.

In other words, the website offered me a 4J cabin selection by cabin number and I clicked continue. There was a note on the next page with the final cost that said something about the availability of the cabin I selected and I thought, "Oh, oh, what's this?" (Still nothing about it being an accessable cabin.)

Next page where I enter my CC payment information, there's a note about the cabin having wider doors and how high the shower threshold is. Now, I'm thinking this sounds like an accessable cabin. Below these notes is a check box that asks me to confirm that I'm willing to change cabins if a person who requires an accessable cabin requests one. The cabin will be the same or higher catagory.

So, did commit a mortal sin? There's still time for "redemption" as the cruise is still a few weeks outside final payment date. Or I could ask to change rooms. It's an Early Saver booking and it's the third week of a b2b, now b3b. I wanted a 4J, not an accessable cabin, so there's no evil intent here. I was not even aware that it was accessable until the payment page.

ANY comments?
I do not think you have done anything inappropriate in this matter. In my opinion if HC cabins are included on the website, as soon as one is selected it should be explicitly mentioned to you by a pop-up. This will give a potential passenger booking the cabin to think; "no that's not what I want" or proceed appropriately. I think some sort of evidence of your need should be required. In this respect the doctor's letter is one system and this letter should not be per cruise but enduring and be applied across all lines. Cruise lines could also help themselves if the on board doctor did a free assessment on your cruise. You could then got into the website as HC approved for future cruises.

In addition the problem of people only needing mobility scooters for use off the ship,mentioned by other posters could be sorted if the cruise lines held them in the hold and made them available to the passengers at ports. These people could book standard cabins in many cases freeing up HC cabins for those actually needing them.

Regards John
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John Watson

Ships cruised on
RMS Queen Elizabeth, SS France, Oronsay, Oceana, Vision of the Seas, Caribbean Princess, Aurora,
Queen Mary 2, Star Flyer, Star Clipper, Grand Princess, Queen Elizabeth, Azura, Ruby Princess, Ventura, Diamond Princess, Britannia, Emerald Princess, Navigator of the Seas, Queen Victoria, Pacific Princess
Stoke on Trent U.K
183 Posts
Joined Jul 2018
Originally posted by ladylyn915
IMHO, the bigger problem is there are nowhere near enough accessible cabins! For example, on RCCL Anthem there are almost 2100 cabins and only 34 are accessible and I don't know if any of them hold more than 2 people.
I know the answer. There are HC cabins on RCI ships that hold 3 people. Downside you have to book roughly 15 months in advance just to get them. I know this because we are a family of 5 and we always try and book a HC cabin for 3. Most of the time we can book a 3 person cabin but not necessarily the category we what.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
May 2018 Independence; September 2017 Anthem; May 2017 Independence; October 2016 Navigator; June 2016 Navigator;
July 2015 Anthem; April 2015 Anthem; July 2014 Independence; May 2014 Adventure; September 2013 Adventure; May 2013 Oasis; October 2012 Independence; May 2012 Independence; July 2011 Independence.
Stoke on Trent U.K
183 Posts
Joined Jul 2018
Originally posted by john watson
I do not think you have done anything inappropriate in this matter. In my opinion if HC cabins are included on the website, as soon as one is selected it should be explicitly mentioned to you by a pop-up. This will give a potential passenger booking the cabin to think; "no that's not what I want" or proceed appropriately. I think some sort of evidence of your need should be required.

Regards John
I find it interesting that on RCI UK website I cannot book a HC cabin, I cannot even check availability, I have to ring RCI or get my TA to ring RCI. However on RCI US website HC cabins can be booked. I don't know if this is the same with other lines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
May 2018 Independence; September 2017 Anthem; May 2017 Independence; October 2016 Navigator; June 2016 Navigator;
July 2015 Anthem; April 2015 Anthem; July 2014 Independence; May 2014 Adventure; September 2013 Adventure; May 2013 Oasis; October 2012 Independence; May 2012 Independence; July 2011 Independence.
1,601 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Booking is all over the place....i recently booked carnival and the hc cabins were not on their site but readily found on other sites...so i did not have to call...surprised that there were only a couple of fully accessible cabins on a newer ship...
Stoke on Trent U.K
183 Posts
Joined Jul 2018
Originally posted by ladylyn915
I don't know if any of them hold more than 2 people.
I remembered that RCI has a web page https://www.royalcaribbean.com/exper...ble-staterooms that states Stateroom Capacity. I have stayed in Anthem of the Seas inside HC. RCI claim it's for 4 but we found 3 adults; a hoist and wheelchair was enough in cabin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dorset, england
822 Posts
Joined May 2011
I wish there was something between a fully accessible cabin and a non-adapted one. I use walking aids all the time, sometimes a manual wheelchair (with OH pushing). I have just started hiring a scooter for use on-board so that I can be more independent and OH can go of and do his own thing without having to come back and take me to my next venue (the distances are too great for me to walk).

I need room for the scooter in the cabin and also electronic door opening, so that I can get myself and the chair/scooter in and out. If that were readily available, I wouldn't need to take an accessible room from someone who is a full-time wheelchair user

I would also benefit from a scooter/powerchair driving test! I rented one earlier this year but hadn't really taken enough notice of the dimensions. It was huge and I was not able to drive it through the cabin doorway (I got stuck several times and was utterly mortified). Nor was I able to manage in other tight spaces. It ended up parked in the cabin while I used the manual chair. For our forthcoming cruise, I have reserved a much smaller one and hope to be able to use it as planned. Maybe off ship too, if I am confident with it.

This forthcoming cruise was booked 14 months ago, we tried several cruiselines before we found 1 accessible cabin left on a September med cruise from Southampton. Next year we have a TA + return, we secured this 12 months ago on the day bookings opened.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Stoke on Trent U.K
183 Posts
Joined Jul 2018
Originally posted by Slugsta
I need room for the scooter in the cabin and also electronic door opening, so that I can get myself and the chair/scooter in and out. If that were readily available, I wouldn't need to take an accessible room from someone who is a full-time wheelchair user

This forthcoming cruise was booked 14 months ago, we tried several cruiselines before we found 1 accessible cabin left on a September med cruise from Southampton. Next year we have a TA + return, we secured this 12 months ago on the day bookings opened.
Not sure if this will help but we borrow a door wedge from our cabin steward. My DS is in a manual wheelchair, borrowing a wedge means only 1 person has to go back to the cabin with him. Sorry if I have presumed the wrong reason for you needing an electronic opening door.

Enjoy your cruise
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
somerset, nj 08873
484 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
Originally posted by Slugsta
I would also benefit from a scooter/powerchair driving test! I rented one earlier this year but hadn't really taken enough notice of the dimensions. It was huge and I was not able to drive it through the cabin doorway (I got stuck several times and was utterly mortified). Nor was I able to manage in other tight spaces. It ended up parked in the cabin while I used the manual chair. For our forthcoming cruise, I have reserved a much smaller one and hope to be able to use it as planned. Maybe off ship too, if I am confident with it.

This is so true! But, it may not be your diving as much as the hallways on some cruise ships are quite narrow. Also, I have noticed that in some places the walls seem to jut out. I have in the past (as mentioned above in this thread) booked a regular balcony cabin and I found it very difficult to make the turn into the room. But, it was either that or stay home.

It is so frustrating that you have to book so early to get an accessible cabin. I for one don't always know where I want to go 12-14 months out.
Scarborough ON Canada
4,159 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Bloodgem
Not sure if this will help but we borrow a door wedge from our cabin steward. My DS is in a manual wheelchair, borrowing a wedge means only 1 person has to go back to the cabin with him. Sorry if I have presumed the wrong reason for you needing an electronic opening door.

Enjoy your cruise
I'll do you one better - we bought our own door wedge off of Amazon and now always travel with it. Few hotels have automatic door openers, let alone the cruise ships. Such a little thing has made our life so much easier - we store it in the little pouch on the back of my mother's wheelchair so it's always at hand when we need it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Patricia (Trisha to my friends and family) cruiseforfood.com
Disney:
Magic 10-30-2010
Dream 10-30-2011 & 11-03-2011
Magic 4-30-2012
Fantasy 10-26-2013
Magic 11-15-2015
Carnival:
Dream 3-12-2011 & 3-19-2011
Miracle 8-26-2011