Serious Swimmer Seeks (Safe) Swimming Locations - Society Islands

swimkaat

First time cruiser to Tahiti!

We are sailing PG 7 night Society Islands & Tahiti Iti Cruise. Are there safe places for me to swim, since I understand there are a lot of sharks in the islands. I’m very comfortable with open water swimming and typically swim 2-3 miles a day (in a pool).

Also, my boyfriend plans to golf on Moorea post cruise, but there is also shore excursion on Tahiti Iti. Has anyone played Tahiti Iti and is it worth the cost?

Thank you.

I think the things you really have to worry about are the currents around and between the motus, and perhaps coral heads that can be sharp or contain sea urchins. On Motu Mahana and the Bora Bora motu I would ask for expert advice from one of the dive team on the latter, and wearing reef shoes, fins and perhaps rash guard would help. You could safely swim I think up and down between the two motus, but just be alert to where you are and where the currents might want to take you.

I'd also say that if you're doing this, to tell someone where you'll be so they can look out for you. But that's just two days. On excursions involving snorkeling, you can talk to the guide. I can't imagine you'll be able to do this every day, in every place. They won't let you swim off the sports platform at the rear of the ship, although there will be days when you might just swim from the tender dock depending on your itinerary. The ship rarely anchors in open water, almost always in a lagoon.