Why no accessible balcony cabin for three people--Who can I write to

GINNY L

We stayed in an aft HC cabin on Escape - no couch.

I wish Escape or Bliss had cabins for five with balconies. Seems the only cabin for a family of five is an oceanview. We have to split everyone up to accommodate our family, but that's how is goes. (Daughter and her husband have three kids)

If I recall correctly, HAL's Vista ships have aft HC cabins -suites - with a couch.

Thank you for the information. Wonder why they quit making 3 guests accessible cabins.

There are a lot of "build" decisions that I really don't have enough data to understand the logic.

The breakaway class ships don't have ADA balcony cabins for 3, it is inside or haven. Someone looking for a balcony wouldn't think either of those 2 choices were reasonable alternatives.;)

Another oddity is the aft ADA cabins (balcony & minisuite) because someone with significant mobility issues would find navigating to those cabins very difficult. FYI, they only accommodate 2 because there isn't a sofa, just a chair. The ADA cabins need to be closer to the elevators in my opinion.

I agree with another poster that the jewel class ships may be a better fit for your family both in accommodations and size. The "away" class ships have a lot more passengers (i.e. crowds) which makes them more difficult to navigate than the smaller ships with fewer passengers.

You are still far enough away from your cruise date that you could easily switch ships to one that will meet the needs of your whole family. I don't think every ship has to meet every passengers needs. As long as there are choices, it is up to the passenger to find the right fit for them. An "away" class ship is probably not the best fit for your family on this particular cruise.

Lots of luck to you and your family! :D

2a1116a81865c03ad006d64c003d627c.jpg

Here is a list of all accessible cabins on the Bliss. Don’t know which have room for 3 but maybe look at the mini suites. Those have balconies too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the information. I looked at them and they do have a square to indicate accessible, but not a triangle to indicate that it holds three. My travel agent could not find any. I am contacting them directly to see if maybe it is just not listed but they do in fact have them.

Please check out the disabled cruising forum. They'll have tons of information for you.

Thank you

There are a lot of "build" decisions that I really don't have enough data to understand the logic.

The breakaway class ships don't have ADA balcony cabins for 3, it is inside or haven. Someone looking for a balcony wouldn't think either of those 2 choices were reasonable alternatives.;)

Another oddity is the aft ADA cabins (balcony & minisuite) because someone with significant mobility issues would find navigating to those cabins very difficult. FYI, they only accommodate 2 because there isn't a sofa, just a chair. The ADA cabins need to be closer to the elevators in my opinion.

I agree with another poster that the jewel class ships may be a better fit for your family both in accommodations and size. The "away" class ships have a lot more passengers (i.e. crowds) which makes them more difficult to navigate than the smaller ships with fewer passengers.

You are still far enough away from your cruise date that you could easily switch ships to one that will meet the needs of your whole family. I don't think every ship has to meet every passengers needs. As long as there are choices, it is up to the passenger to find the right fit for them. An "away" class ship is probably not the best fit for your family on this particular cruise.

Lots of luck to you and your family! :D

Thank you for your time and information

they didn't quit making them, they are available as Insides & Suites. There are horror stories on CC about ADA balcony doors not working.

The Pearl & Jewel are lovely ships, less crowded than the Bliss and might be a better fit for your family. I haven't cruised with someone who uses a wheelchair, but did live with someone for 7 years, who used a chair.

Is there an forum that might have suggestions for the best ships for wheelchair users?

Here is a link for the "Disabled Cruise Travel" section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

GC

Ginny, I'm on Bliss this Sept in handicapped balcony room 14-860. It's a BD balcony and I'm sure the NCL rep said it holds 3? I didn't see my cabin or its counterpart 14-260 listed above. I know NCL customer service is a bit screwy- can you call back and ask specifically about these cabins or others not listed?

also, on this "memorial at sea" just keep in mind that it is illegal to dump ashes off of the cruise ship into the water, if that is what you were thinking of doing.

No, it is not. It is perfectly acceptable, within certain limitations. The ship's Environmental Officer needs to be informed, and he/she will schedule a time for the memorial, typically on the stern mooring deck to be as low and far aft as possible. As long as the ship is outside 12 miles from shore, disposal of human ashes is perfectly legal. This is done routinely. Also, in most cases, they will provide a certificate giving the date, time, and latitude and longitude of the memorial. Also, it is not allowed to scatter ashes, they must be in a biodegradable urn which is dropped overboard, typically with a flower arrangement from the ship.

No, it is not. It is perfectly acceptable, within certain limitations. The ship's Environmental Officer needs to be informed, and he/she will schedule a time for the memorial, typically on the stern mooring deck to be as low and far aft as possible. As long as the ship is outside 12 miles from shore, disposal of human ashes is perfectly legal. This is done routinely. Also, in most cases, they will provide a certificate giving the date, time, and latitude and longitude of the memorial. Also, it is not allowed to scatter ashes, they must be in a biodegradable urn which is dropped overboard, typically with a flower arrangement from the ship.

Thank you for this unequivocal information, it is very welcome, valuable and appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Back to the handicapped cabin for 3 topic: we had the same dilemma on our Bliss cruise. The only option was a suite or an inside cabin. We opted for the inside cabin due to finances. That being said, we are all women in our 60's (2 of us with major mobility issues). The least decrepit of us thought she would be able to climb up on the bunk bed, but there was so little clearance to the ceiling that she couldn't do it. We tried moving the mattress onto the floor. I have to give credit to some of the crew who brought in a third bed frame. We slept three beds across with no space between the beds for the cruise. We didn't have any other option. I would not do it again. It was very difficult to get in and out of bed, The bathroom was great, but unless there was a small child, or an able bodied teenager, it was not a cabin for three adults.

I am looking at accessible cabins for 3 for 2020, and although we really want to go on the Joy or the Bliss, we may have to go with another cruiseline because we can't afford the Haven.

Next May on Mother's day week,I am planning my mother's memorial at sea on the Bliss. (My mother loved cruising and wanted her memorial at sea in Alaska) I have a brother who has an adult son who is handicapped. My nephew can not walk, is blind, and has limited vocabulary. This is going to be my brother and his family first cruise ever. They really wanted a balcony cabin. We just found out that there is no such thing as a three person accessible balcony cabin on the Bliss as well as other ships and cruise lines. I could not believe this and thought this is extremely sad for my brother and for other families who fall in this situation. I would really like to write to somebody to see if this can get changed for other cruise ships and when the cruise ships go in for revamping.

I just want to make it clear this is not tend to be a negative posting about Norwegian and the service I have received, because the service has always been amazing. The service has been so much better on Norwegian then other lines that I used to go on all the time. It is just to get this type of cabin made available to families who would love to have a balcony cabin and an accessible one.

I know Princess has them. My dad uses a scooter/wheel chair and always books inside handicapped. He kept bumping his head on the pull down bunk from the wall.