Is It Safe to Leave Scooter outside Restaurants or Shops in Ports?

Will be using a scooter for the first time on a Caribbean cruise visiting San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maartin, and have seen some posts about leaving scooter outside of facilities. I can get around short distances with a cane such as walking to table in a restaurant or a quick browse through a shop but would not want to come out and find the scooter gone. Any opinions?

Never in a million years would I leave mine... I actually thought about buying a bicycle chain/lock and attaching it to something. Still not sure if I am going to do that...but unless secured somehow, I would NEVER leave it alone.

Will be using a scooter for the first time on a Caribbean cruise visiting San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maartin, and have seen some posts about leaving scooter outside of facilities. I can get around short distances with a cane such as walking to table in a restaurant or a quick browse through a shop but would not want to come out and find the scooter gone. Any opinions?
Don't do it. It won't be there when you get out.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

I would not think it is a good idea to leave one outside of a store (even in your home country!) unless you have someone watching it. That would not be too hard because you could swap guard duty assuming you will be traveling with someone else. I will say that the answers above probably mostly come from people who are just guessing whether or not it would still be there when you come out. If it was stolen, to be used or sold, it would be difficult to sell or use it without someone spotting it and the police would probably likely find out. They don’t want crime against tourists because it is not good for their image and tourism. Probably depends on how long you are in the store, and where it is, and just doggone bad luck. If you have the key with you it would take a little bit of effort to grab the scooter, but where there is a will there is way. Downtown Phillipsburg is packed with shopping tourists when cruise ships are in port. If someone tried to load up a scooter into or onto a vehicle,or even pick it up and carry it away, they would likely have to do it in front of a bunch of people and it would call attention to them.

We all mean well with our replies but for the most part they are likely just assumptions. I don’t think there are enough test cases to know how likely it would be for it to be stolen from outside of a shop. Whether you do it or not depends on how much of a risk taker you are.

Hi,

I have NEVER had a problem leaving my scooter outside shops, restaurants etc. I just take the keys out and it is insured.

Pete

Insured or not, it would ruin the rest of our vacation/cruise if it was stolen Because my husband would not be able to get around on the ship besides not being able to get off the ship.

.We take turns going into a store or my husband drives it in and around the store.

Insured or not, it would ruin the rest of our vacation/cruise if it was stolen Because my husband would not be able to get around on the ship besides not being able to get off the ship.

.We take turns going into a store or my husband drives it in and around the store.

Hi,

The main point is it has NEVER been stolen.

I doubt that they are a big target for thieves but the consequences of losing it would be disproportionate to the risk.

There was a video recently of a buggy being stolen from outside a pub - it was locked but the thief simply disengaged the motors and pushed it away. No doubt it surfaced on a well-known auction site a few weeks later.

I say no, but for a reason other than theft. Especially for St Thomas and St Martin, the sidewalks are very, very narrow and very crowded with the literally thousands of passengers from as many as 5 ships in port on the same day. There are areas where two people can barely walk on the sidewalk, so if you're having to get around someone who parked a scooter, it would cause a log jam.

And, what would happen if someone isn't paying attention and trips over the scooter and is injured? Heck, I can't count the number of times people have bumped into me while I'm on the scooter. People are oblivious.

Hi,

I have NEVER had a problem leaving my scooter outside shops, restaurants etc. I just take the keys out and it is insured.

Pete

I very rarely leave mine outside shops or restaurants. There have been cases of them being stolen. Mine is also insured, but I wouldn't want the inconvenience of losing it on a cruise port of call.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have travelled extensively with my Travelscoot and usually bring it inside with me (stores and restaurants). If I can't bring it in with me I sit near the window so I can see it. There is no key so anyone could walk off with it. I would be devastated to lose it while on a trip - it would ruin my vacation.

Someone said with so many people around that it would be noticed if someone tried to steal it, but who's to say that the owner is not the one putting it in the car or truck and driving off with it? My hubby and I load mine in our car all the time and nobody ever asks me if I am the owner!

I would not suggest leaving your scooter unattended while at port. You should be able to navigate the scooter in most shops and restaurants easily. But if you "must" get off and walk, park it inside near the cashier or host stand, if possible. It's a long walk back to the ship and for the rest of your cruise if it goes missing! Have a wonderful cruise!

I left my scooter while I'm port in Ketchikan. I didnt leave anything in it and I, of course. Took the key with me while on our excursion. I made sure it was not anywhere in the way. I actiallyvleft it behind a bench seat and it was not far from the ship and had a lot of foot traffic. Depending on where you would want to motor, I may or not leave it. I just knew I would not be able to walk from the ship to the starting spot of our excursion. It was actually suggested that I do so by the excursion staff. A mobility scooter is no different than leaving a convertible vehicle or motorcycle as far as its security.

I took the scooter into stores with me.

Scooter keys are not unique. Replacement keys can easily be obtained and are universal to the brand.

IMHO, I would not recommend leaving it unattended. It is far too easy for someone to take off with it, even if you take the key (just slip it into manual mode and push it away).

• 2 weeks later...

.We take turns going into a store or my husband drives it in and around the store.[/quot

Exactly what we do. Could not afford losing it whether insured or not. And if insured, who would want the whole big insurance hassle of filing a claim, getting receipts, establishing value with depreciation, applying deductible, etc., etc.?

Even removing the key is false security. Those little flimsy locks can be broken easily with a small screwdriver or knife in a couple seconds.

With all the druggies, crazies, and thieves in the world, who would want to leave it to chance? Do those who advise risking it, also leave their keys in their car and their house left unlocked at night ? The 1950's are long gone.

My point was about leaving mine outside an excursion was that I can take the key with me. Itxwas between not going off the ship ever or staying on board. I chose to take my chances. It worked. If i just wanted to stay on board without ever leaving, i could save myself a lot of hassle and expense and stay at home. Everything can get stolen, even a locked car. If someone steals my 8 year old scooter while it is parked outside the embarkation site for my duck tour on a tropical island that has limited resources, they obviously must have needed it more than I do. My cellphone is worth more than that. Obviously YMMV.

My point was about leaving mine outside an excursion was that I can take the key with me. Itxwas between not going off the ship ever or staying on board. I chose to take my chances. It worked. If i just wanted to stay on board without ever leaving, i could save myself a lot of hassle and expense and stay at home. Everything can get stolen, even a locked car. If someone steals my 8 year old scooter while it is parked outside the embarkation site for my duck tour on a tropical island that has limited resources, they obviously must have needed it more than I do. My cellphone is worth more than that. Obviously YMMV.

Many years ago I traveled by motorcycle to different countries. When I left it parked on the street, invariably when I returned, I would usually find kids (and often adults) sitting on it and messing with the controls. I then started throwing a cover over it when parked and the problem was solved. Out of sight, out of mind.

Next time be sure to lock it if possible, take the key and try covering it. I think your security will be much improved.

And if it as old and used as you say, you risks of loss are already minimal.

Edited by 1980dory
punctuation

Hi,

The main point is it has NEVER been stolen.

You have been lucky. What ports? It would be easy for thieves to pick up your locked scooter and toss it in the back of a van to steal it if they wanted to.

We have had manual wheelchairs taken by other passengers when getting off the plane. One we had to chase down all the way to their car at the curb. Airline personnel do nothing to guard your chair. We finally set up a system where my dad would get off the plane as soon as we landed, and guard the manual (and later power) wheelchair until my mother was transported off the plane on the aisle chair.