Beware of UBP parasites

dcruiser50

At a cocktail function I witnessed a man who would wait for someone to abandon their drink and then pick it up for himself so he didn't end up paying for any drinks.

This probably happens more often than people notice.

You will definitely see underage kids doing this all over the ship..... especially since they don't have the dangers most of us had as a kid when smoking was allowed and they played Russian Roulette with butts in the cans. (I just gagged a little thinking of it happening to my sister.....)

I witnessed this on my last cruise out of NYC on the Gem. They hang out around the bar and get to chatting and mention they don’t have the UBP and viola! You’re buying them a drink!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had that happen on my Gem cruise in July! We were sitting around the pool and my hubby got to chatting with someone who gave him some cockenbull story about their account ( including UBP) being frozen until they put more money into the account. Needless to say we made ourselves scarce.

We're definitely getting into mental illness here. The dude probably tries drying out used paper towels and re-using his toilet paper as well.

I previously worked with someone who would go around restaurants and ask strangers to take home their leftovers if they were not going to. He stole toilet paper from our facility, separated the plies, and limited his family to a certain number of squares. He stole soap that had been used for manufacturing purposes already to use at home. He made his family reuse women’s sanitary products, and then eventually put them outside for birds to use for nest making. Yes, his family left him. But he retired from a blue collar low paying job as a millionaire.

I previously worked with someone who would go around restaurants and ask strangers to take home their leftovers if they were not going to. He stole toilet paper from our facility, separated the plies, and limited his family to a certain number of squares. He stole soap that had been used for manufacturing purposes already to use at home. He made his family reuse women’s sanitary products, and then eventually put them outside for birds to use for nest making. Yes, his family left him. But he retired from a blue collar low paying job as a millionaire.

Just when you thought you had heard everything.:fever: No words.

Wow. One more thing to worry about while cruising.

Maybe I'll hide in the Haven Bar where everyone has the UBP.

There's no guarantee that everyone in the Haven has the UBP/UOB.

:p I love CC !

Once met a couple, who stayed in there Rio de Janeiro cruise cabin during Carnival,

because they were afraid.

Edited by $hip$hape

I had that happen on my Gem cruise in July! We were sitting around the pool and my hubby got to chatting with someone who gave him some cockenbull story about their account ( including UBP) being frozen until they put more money into the account. Needless to say we made ourselves scarce.

That was good radar you showed to see through persons story because this is exactly what original poster was warning/saying is happening.

Yep- similar issue on Epic in Cavern Club. 2 very ditzy drunk chicks hanging onto any male doing the 'accidental" boob check. Hubby was laughing and refused their offer of ordering either of them drinks. Other guys fell victim of these morons! Funny thing is they weren't young or even cute. I felt embarrassed for them.:o

Just a word of caution as a platinum NCL cruiser I have experienced a new cruise parasite. These are the people who choose to get the sail away price with no perks, then befriend those who have the UBP and ask them to get them drinks never offer an extra waiter tip and expect you to keep them in drinks.

I once refused to watch someone’s slot machine when they had to go to the bathroom, they mentioned they were waiting for a drink, I said ok give me a dollar to tip the waitress, she said she doesn’t tip, I said then wait for your own drink cause I won’t have the waitress think you and I are together. The look on her face was priceless.

I’ve seen someone (actually more than one person) ask for someone they just befriended to “buy” them a drink on their UBP. Never seen it done successfully, as the “Asker” was tuned down by the “Askee”.

That’s pretty low, though.

I’ve seen some pretty low things done by miserable people on cruises. One would have to think they’re the same way in life....always begging for something for nothing.

I try to avoid those people like the plague, whether on a ship, or anywhere else.

I don’t think I’d even answer someone who asked me for a drink from my UBP. I’d probably just ignore them unless they persisted. Then, I’d try to embarrass them.

I once refused to watch someone’s slot machine when they had to go to the bathroom, they mentioned they were waiting for a drink, I said ok give me a dollar to tip the waitress, she said she doesn’t tip, I said then wait for your own drink cause I won’t have the waitress think you and I are together. The look on her face was priceless.
Outstanding !!!

Just a word of caution as a platinum NCL cruiser I have experienced a new cruise parasite. These are the people who choose to get the sail away price with no perks, then befriend those who have the UBP and ask them to get them drinks never offer an extra waiter tip and expect you to keep them in drinks.

I have never witnessed anyone doing this, and if a complete stranger asked me to get him or her a drink, I would laugh at them!