Queen Anne & Queen Victoria suites on QM2 - balcony?

MawganTr

Now, let me say at the very start that there is no way I’d ever be in the position to sail in either of these (unless I win the lottery!) so my question is purely quizzical. When on QM2 last week we were looking up at the windows below the bridge & trying to work out which room was behind them. Commodore lounge, library etc. Looking at the deck plan shows the ones on deck 10 are suites 10,001 and 10,002. Is it right that they don’t have a balcony though? I think if I was spending so much for a room that I’d want some private outdoor space. Oh, to have such a dilemma when choosing a suite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, if you do win the lottery, you can always combine either the Queen Victoria suite with the Queen Elizabeth suite, or the Queen Anne with the Queen Mary, then you would have a balcony. :D

Or really splash out and connect all four of them so you don't have to worry which side the sun is on.:cool:

When the ship was being designed Cunard were asking lots of people for their opinions. I heard that this space was originally going to be another public lounge but one couple, who always booked the Q1 suites on QE2 for every world cruise, expresed their displeasure at having to take a rearward facing cabin on the new ship that the plans were changed to make this space into suites. However when it was announced that QM2 was to be non-smoking inside they never sailed on her. I have no idea how true this story is but I have met the couple in question.

Regards, Colin.

No, these two suites have no balcony.

I seem to remember reading that George Bush had travelled in one of them some years ago. I guess good security with no balcony.

Because there are these dangerous sniper fish on the Newfoundland Bank?

It might be interesting to get an answer from Stephen Payne whether there were public rooms planned there.

IMHO the Atlantic Room on Deck 11 isn't exactly a busy venue, so I guess there might have been other reasons than passengers' opinions.

I heard that the plan was for a business centre in that position. BT (also known as British Telecom) was going to be running it. BT had a bit of a crisis and pulled out.

The space ended up being cabins. It probably works best if you combine all four together. That would give a big indoor promenade and two balconies. I do not like the way the bedroom windows look inside the cabin. It is an awfully long walk to the Queen Grill too. I would rather have on of the Penthouses. A bit cheaper too.

Particularly on a short cruise you might be upgraded to one of theses cabins if you book a minimum grade Queens Grill.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I traveled on the QM2 fifth anniversary cruise around the British Isles on the Queen Victoria suite. I did not enjoy the trip in that suite. There were festivities at several of the places we stopped, and the absence of a balcony was apparent. It is also at the front and the shades on the windows have to be drawn before sunset to prevent glare on the bridge, so this is a problem. and it was an accessible suite, so the bathroom was configured for people with mobility needs and was missing some usual features. I usually book a guarantee fare and I have been offered upgrades to this suite since, but I have declined.

• 3 years later...
On 8/8/2018 at 9:53 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

Of course, if you do win the lottery, you can always combine either the Queen Victoria suite with the Queen Elizabeth suite, or the Queen Anne with the Queen Mary, then you would have a balcony. 😄

Or really splash out and connect all four of them so you don't have to worry which side the sun is on.:cool:

When the ship was being designed Cunard were asking lots of people for their opinions. I heard that this space was originally going to be another public lounge but one couple, who always booked the Q1 suites on QE2 for every world cruise, expresed their displeasure at having to take a rearward facing cabin on the new ship that the plans were changed to make this space into suites. However when it was announced that QM2 was to be non-smoking inside they never sailed on her. I have no idea how true this story is but I have met the couple in question.

Regards, Colin.

A bit late for me to reply to this post but these suites came up in another thread I was involved in and this thread popped up in my research. I don't know anything about why these cabins are the way they are but I do believe I am familiar with the couple you are referring to. I was on the Silver Anniversary World Cruise in 2007 and remember seeing a couple in the QG Lounge and hearing about they book one suite for themselves and the other for their luggage and to use for utility. IIRC, a couple (and it might have been them) dined with Disney characters at their table for four which if true makes sense with their connection to Disney. To book two Q1 suites for the full World Cruise is a $250,000 in 2007 as I recall. I suppose if you have unlimited resources it is what it is but even most wealthy people I know are not that eccentric. The QE2 had a lot of eccentric people on it as I remember over the years even in the rabbit cabins.