Norwegian fjord towns and scooter?

Can anyone tell me about their experience of using a scooter in Bergen, Alesund, Flam, Gerainger and Stavanger? And aboard Celebrity (Silhouette)?

In the towns I see some of the streets are cobbled and I presume they are hilly too, so is there any point in thinking I could use the scooter to explore Alesund, for example?

I can walk well for 2km, and can do another 1.5 km if I have a long rest in between but after that things rapidly decline and it can take me days/weeks to recover if I overdo it with shaky weak legs, nerve pain, nausea, fatigue etc so I need to be careful.

I'm concerned that just getting around the ship might use up my daily walking 'allowance' so I'd like to save my energy for the ports, but of course scooters are expensive to hire and I'm not sure how much walking I'll do on board as this is only my second cruise and I wasn't disabled last time.

Any advice or experience would be welcomed!

I am disabled and a regular scooter user. I have visited all the places listed with a scooter and they are all doable. Bergen is fairly flat with good pavements especially around the fish market. Alesund is another port that you can manage as is Stavanger although the old part of Stavanger might be a bit of a challenge. Flam is a pretty little port. I do not know if you propose doing the train ride, which in my opinion is the whole point of going to Flam! Sometimes Flam can be a tender port depending on how many ships are in port on that day. There is a pretty walk up to a waterfall which I have done on my scooter and most enjoyable. Geiranger is another tender port, there is not a lot there, most people take a tour up to the mountains, but again a beautiful scenic port. I have a small scooter which I only use for holidays it is a Shoprider Pride as my scooter I use all the time at home is too big. I have never cruised with Celebrity and so do not know their policy re scooters on tenders, some cruise lines will not allow them on tenders so it may be something to research. I have been to Norway six times, the seventh next March to hopefully see the Northern Lights. I hope this information is of some use and you have a lovely cruise.

Thank you, that is very helpful. I'll check about the tender and scooter policies.

Alesund is where I will most likely want to use it as we plan to just explore that day. Unfortunately, we left it too late to book the railway in Flam so have booked a Naeroyfjord tour to Gudvangen instead - maybe we'll be back to do the railway another time.

Thank you again

I am disabled and a regular scooter user. I have visited all the places listed with a scooter and they are all doable. Bergen is fairly flat with good pavements especially around the fish market. Alesund is another port that you can manage as is Stavanger although the old part of Stavanger might be a bit of a challenge. Flam is a pretty little port. I do not know if you propose doing the train ride, which in my opinion is the whole point of going to Flam! Sometimes Flam can be a tender port depending on how many ships are in port on that day. There is a pretty walk up to a waterfall which I have done on my scooter and most enjoyable. Geiranger is another tender port, there is not a lot there, most people take a tour up to the mountains, but again a beautiful scenic port. I have a small scooter which I only use for holidays it is a Shoprider Pride as my scooter I use all the time at home is too big. I have never cruised with Celebrity and so do not know their policy re scooters on tenders, some cruise lines will not allow them on tenders so it may be something to research. I have been to Norway six times, the seventh next March to hopefully see the Northern Lights. I hope this information is of some use and you have a lovely cruise.
My DS is confined to a wheelchair and I agree with most of this post. Geiranger is now like Flam can be a tender port depending on how many ships are in port on that day. We were in Geiranger in May and they have a new pier.

Sent from my G3311 using Forums mobile app

I don't remember Stavanger being that hilly, at lease, around the port and as far as the cathedral/church and lake. Here are some pics of the old town area by the port. Yes, lots of cobblestones:

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

• 2 weeks later...

We are brand new to cruising and both of us have walking issues. My son is a frequent visitor to Norway (oil industry) and is telling us which ports to visit. However, how do you get your scooter to the ship? I have a Luggie, which collapses right down BUT I have been over on it 3 times (once in the middle of a road) so do not fancy it on cobbles., my other is a Sterling Little Star and collapses very flat with the battery and seat separate. However neither of us can carry it far. This is our 50th anniversary and as keen photographers want to see the aurora borealis from the Artic Help anyone

We are brand new to cruising and both of us have walking issues. My son is a frequent visitor to Norway (oil industry) and is telling us which ports to visit. However, how do you get your scooter to the ship? I have a Luggie, which collapses right down BUT I have been over on it 3 times (once in the middle of a road) so do not fancy it on cobbles., my other is a Sterling Little Star and collapses very flat with the battery and seat separate. However neither of us can carry it far. This is our 50th anniversary and as keen photographers want to see the aurora borealis from the Artic Help anyone

Welcome to CC (Cruise Critics).

If you know how you are travelling to your departure port, post the info and someone might be able to give you advice.

We travel down the day before from Stoke on Trent and overnight in a hotel. We then park at the docks, the day of the cruise. My son travels in his wheelchair in a specially adapted van.

Hi Essiesmom,

Beautiful pictures and very helpful, we are off to Norway next year and will be visiting most of the ports mentioned by the OP including Stavanger, looks like I will be shaken not stirred on my scooter. Hopefully we wont have to tender as that's a no for me.

Pete

Flaam is a tiny village and the station for the spectacular train ride is probably within your walking limit. When we were there we borrowed a wheelchair from the ship because I thought her electric chair would not be manageable, and I pushed my wife to the train.

We have not booked anything yet thinking it would be best to ensure it is possible. Husband is worried that he will be forced to push me in the wheel chair, which he hates. Perhaps will find another thread or set a question as to which cruise gives the time to take photographs d is accessible by us. I can just about negotiate steps, but am very unstable. Thanks for the advice,

As you will see from my previous posr I am a full time scooter user. What are your travel arrangements to get to Southampton? We drive down the day before and stay overnight in a hotel and the scooter goes into the boot of the car, we have an electric hoist which makes it easy to put the scooter in and out of the car. You must also remember that you must have an accessable cabin as scooters are not allowed in an ordinary cabin and these cabins very quickly book up, I booked my cruise for next March a year ago. You say you are keen photographers as is my daughter, but please be aware that there is no guarantee you will see them, my daughter did the Northern Lights cruise this year and failed to see them, also they do not appear in all the colours shown in photographs but just a milky white, it is not until you transfer them to your computer that the colours appear. Having said that you may have a very expensive camera which might prove otherwise. I do not know whether you use a scooter all the time but would not recommend a Luggie for a Northern Lights cruise. You have to negotiate some very slippery snowy pavements etc and this can be quite daunting. I am going on my second Northern Lights cruise next year and am looking forward to it. I wish you well and hope you find a cruise for you and hope the above is of some use. I should perhaps mention that we park the car with Penguin parking and they then transfer us and the scooter by mini bus right to the cruise terminal,

Edited by teddytumtum
further information

You must also remember that you must have an accessable cabin as scooters are not allowed in an ordinary cabin and these cabins very quickly book up, I booked my cruise for next March a year ago. ,
With respect to teddytumtum the above statement is slightly misleading. In an ideal world every wheelchair/scooter user would have an accessible cabin. In reality if there are no accessible cabins available some scooter users will book a normal cabin. If the scooter does not collapse or fit through the door of a normal cabin, users tend to park their scooters overnight in a communal area, on charge, near their cabin, for example near the lifts. This is assuming you do not need to wheelchair friendly bathroom.

We have not booked anything yet thinking it would be best to ensure it is possible. ... Perhaps will find another thread or set a question as to which cruise gives the time to take photographs

I understand your concerns I was just like you in 2010 when we were considering booking our first cruise; " Will there be places for the wheelchair in the theatre and dining room"; "Will the ports be wheelchair friendly" etc. We were glad we took the plunge and have cruise twice a year ever since.

May I suggest you start a new thread, as thread hopping can leave you with more questions than answers.

Also may I suggest you check out the UK Cruisers forum. Just recently they have had the following threads: https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2662943; https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2653476, I know you don't live in Edinburgh but you might find the info useful, and https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2659880, as you don't have to travel to Southampton to cruise.

As for your photos post a question on https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=118.

Have a wonderful Golden Wedding Anniversity.