Question(s) for those who have sailed both S & M class

txflood33

What are the most significant differences?

I have sailed Reflection once and have booked for Millenium in 2020. It looks like Reflection has about 500 more cabins that Millenium. Basic math at 2/cabin says there is an approximate 1000 passenger difference.

I don't remember feeling crowded or cramped with too many people ever on the Reflection. I took a Carnival cruise once and there were just people everywhere. The buffet was crowded, the pool was crowded, the elevators were stuffed full almost every time you got on one. I never felt that on the Reflection.

Will the Millenium feel crowded being a smaller ship even though there's less passengers?

I've also never had an issue with sea sickness on boats this large...I always prepare, but have never had an issue as I can simply never feel the boat moving. Is the M class small enough to feel it moving under normal sailing...I get nobody can predict rough seas or weather.

I like both classes - have never felt crowded on either. One big difference (unless it has changed) is how the Lido cafe is set up. On M class, more like a cafeteria which most people do not like. But me, I find all the islands / stations on the S class difficult to see everything (and I do like an overview so I know all the choices!) and also a bit of a muddle sometimes as passengers meander and wander about between the islands (including me!). The S class has the lawn club and a restaurant up there which is quite nice. But I think both designs are very pleasant - I don't like the ever increasing "class system" and special restaurants / areas for the higher paid rooms - going back to the old way of doing things of first class, second class, steerage. If it were me, if I wanted to spend more money, I go for a higher end cruise line.

I've sailed on all the S-Class ships as well as the M-Class.

Reflections is the largest ship in the fleet and they added an additional floor and a lot more Sky Suites. This causes crowding in Luminea and sometimes in MC. Reflection is probably my least favorite ship and pretty much avoid her because of the crowding.

M-Class ships are smaller than the S-Class and are probably my favorite. The major difference is the M-Class have fewer Specialty Dining if that is important to you. The M-Class have eliminated the French Style Restaurants and replaced with Tuscon Grill and Qsine (neither of which I enjoy).

Reflection has 1,523 Cabins while Millennium has 1,076 Cabins. With just 2 in a cabin as an estimate Reflection has almost 1,000 more passengers. If traveling when school is out and many families aboard the number of passengers become more apparent.

I've never felt cramped or crowded on the M-Class ships and am leaving on a B2B2B on Millennium in a couple weeks.

I have sailed Reflection once and have booked for Millenium in 2020. It looks like Reflection has about 500 more cabins that Millenium. Basic math at 2/cabin says there is an approximate 1000 passenger difference.

I don't remember feeling crowded or cramped with too many people ever on the Reflection. I took a Carnival cruise once and there were just people everywhere. The buffet was crowded, the pool was crowded, the elevators were stuffed full almost every time you got on one. I never felt that on the Reflection.

Will the Millenium feel crowded being a smaller ship even though there's less passengers?

I've also never had an issue with sea sickness on boats this large...I always prepare, but have never had an issue as I can simply never feel the boat moving. Is the M class small enough to feel it moving under normal sailing...I get nobody can predict rough seas or weather.

The Reflection is a lovely ship for sure, and my Millennium class experience is limited to the Summit, but I really prefer the M class ships to the S class. Movement wise, I was on one trip on Summit where seas were rough enough to cause a skipped port, but things generally have felt pretty much like they have on the S class ships-- smooth sailing with the occasional reminder that we're on water.

While neither tends to feel crowded--except around the S class elevators as certain times; I prefer the M's layout-- elevators forward Aft and mid-ships, for example. I also really enjoy the solarium pool with the "jets" to lie back on which were taken out on the S class (at least Equinox & Reflection.) If you're in a suite, Michael's club and Luminae are on the same deck on M class, and both feel more intimate to me on M.

Certainly if you like grass--the green kind--and variety of eateries, then you'll miss a bit on M, but neither are a big deal for me.

While it's pretty tough to complain about the Persian Garden on Reflection, I really like the more intimate M class approach, especially the small mentholated steam room.

Entertainment wise, I tend to go for the smaller stuff-- comedians & solo acts-- so the somewhat smaller theater doesn't feel like a limitation for me, but those who know the Celebrity shows might notice a difference.

Finally, there's a bit more variety in cabin layout on M class, whether sweet 16's, the Aft Aquaclass cabins or the 4 sky suites with supersized balconies. That may or may not be an advantage to you, but I prefer variety over standardization (sometimes!)

That ends my "hard sell" on the M class! I hope you have a great trip and a super time anticipating it!

I too have sailed both classes of ships and as much as I love the old school feel of the "M" class ships, I love the Reflection. It is my favorite of all of the "S" class ships. The Sunset Bar is the perfect layout and it is the newest of them all.

I certainly appreciate the thorough explanations.

We are sailing in Aqua Class so we have Blu, as we did on the Reflection. We did try 2 of the specialty restaurants on Reflection....I want to say Tuscan Grill and Qsine. One was served with shareable potions and the other was aft with windows looking out the rear of the ship....I remember dining in there while sailing between the toe of the boot of Italy and Sicily....pretty nice view, to say the least.

We didn't do any shows on the Reflection, but this upcoming cruise is a little longer so maybe we will see what the options are. I think our favorite place on the Reflection was the Sunset bar. I'm actually a little excited about our room.We didn't get full aft, but as close as we could. We are in 1136 so we will be just a staircase away from the Oceanview Bar. Hoping there is a similar vibe...fingers crossed.

According to Celebrity's website the maximum passenger capacity is 2138 on Millennium and 3046 on Reflection - 42% greater. And for what it's worth, Reflection's tonnage is only 39% greater than Millennium's; so the Reflection might be slightly more "crowded" than the Millennium.

Hi txflood33 - Here are a few thoughts and see my comments below in red.

Since you've decided to go M-Class, here is what you can look forward to. With that said, the Millennium will have been through the "Revolution" makeover in February 2019. Therefore, much of what anybody has to say here may not be value added. Here is what I have loved about the current M-Class ships and hope it isn't changed too much. Here goes:

- the Thalassotheraphy Pool in the "adults only" solarium is salt water and very relaxing.

- the seating in the Theatre is like a mini love seat with a small table for your cocktails, which is way more comfortable than theatre seating on the S-Class ships.

- Not certain where you Aqua Class stateroom is, but those staterooms on Deck 9 are larger than standard verandahs.

- storage on M-Class ships has always been prized over S-Class ships.

You can see all my sailings in my signature block (including room type), but a good mix of both M-Class and S-Class.

I have sailed Reflection once and have booked for Millenium in 2020. It looks like Reflection has about 500 more cabins that Millenium. Basic math at 2/cabin says there is an approximate 1000 passenger difference. Celebrity has done a great job of designing their ships and having a variety of events happen all over the ship such that the ships never feel crowded. Yes, the peak buffet times seem crowded. Yes, the peak pool times can be crowded in good weather. There are always alternatives and you learn to adapt. There are plenty of times when I feel like I am all alone in some of the public spaces.

I don't remember feeling crowded or cramped with too many people ever on the Reflection. I took a Carnival cruise once and there were just people everywhere. The buffet was crowded, the pool was crowded, the elevators were stuffed full almost every time you got on one. I never felt that on the Reflection. You learn quickly that there is no comparing Celebrity to Carnival and many other cruise brands. Maybe Princess is the closest in comparison.

Will the Millenium feel crowded being a smaller ship even though there's less passengers? Not at all. I think the M-Class ships, while very intimate, are never crowded. A big plus on the M-Class ships is that there are 3 sets of elevators and stairwells to allow flow of passengers in between floors. Much better design than on the S-Class ships, which only have two sets.

I've also never had an issue with sea sickness on boats this large...I always prepare, but have never had an issue as I can simply never feel the boat moving. Is the M class small enough to feel it moving under normal sailing...I get nobody can predict rough seas or weather. I don't think you will have any problems. One of my most favorite cruises was the 3rd westbound transatlantic that I did in 2014 on the Constellation. The best 16-day cruise I ever did; there were 7 days at sea between Europe and Florida and I never felt any significant motion. I don't get sick, but I pack meds for my other half just in case.

I will address the motion sickness question, as I suffer from it when seas are high or rolling. I have sailed Celebrity over 40 times on all their S and M class ships. I can definitely feel more motion on M class than on S class, if there is motion to be felt. That said, I have been on many very smooth sailings on M class (as well as S). Also, when I say I can feel more motion,and I feel strongly that that is the case, that does not mean that there is a huge difference. Both classes of ships are quite large and overall handle the seas well. Unfortunately, you cannot judge your tolerance to seas sickness on cruises by one or two or three cruises if all of those happen to have been in calm seas. If the seas are very calm, whether it is S class or M class makes little difference so you can't really tell. But again, there is not a huge difference as both are large ships. Bring some meds just in case and don't worry about it. Enjoy! M class is actually my favorite of the two types.

The Deck 11 Aqua class cabins on M class ships are in a fabulous location and the S class Aqua cabins can't match them.

Also the S class ships don't have an equivalent to the Rendezvous lounge which is a good medium-large venue.

In most other ways the S class ships are superior.

Have sailed on both and the S class ships definitely have the edge when it comes to stylish decor. However I prefer the M class for 2 reasons. 1. We love cabins on the aft and the M class has nice deep balconies which S class doesn't. 2. We are probably in the minority but think that the Lawns are a big waste of space on S class (particularly where half that space is taken over by cabanas), this results in loungers being crammed in together on the sun decks and people lying out on towels on the lawn. There is more of a feeling of having some space on deck on M class ships

We've been on M ships twice and S ships three times. All have been Celebrity suites or above.

We loved all of the ships.

The M class were smaller, more intimate, easier to wander...

S class ships had more choice of venues but it often took longer to get from A to B. Interestingly enough, there rarely appeared to be crowds of passengers ----except when the theatre emptied and also when people thronged to enter the MDR. Clever design to avoid long, straight corridors!

Can't help you regarding poolside areas.

Entertainment: more variety on the S class ships but we also loved the musicians on the M class.

At the end of the day, we tend to think of M class as favourite uncles/aunts whilst we think of S class as go-get-it nephews and nieces!

If you are sailing in aqua there are many differences

The Persian Gardens isn’t as nice on the M class, basically like a cave or dungeon

The balconies are smaller and there is no room for footstools.

The baths are like those in the older travel trailers

The M class is a old time style classy ship. If you want it to be the same as the Reflection you may be disappointed. Don’t constantly compare it to the S Class and nit pick about every little speck of rust and etc and you will enjoy the ship and cruise.

I like the S Class for some things and the M for others so I cruise both.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Some really good info in these answers. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm positive we will have a great time because, hey, we're on a cruise ship with no responsibilities and get to see the world.

Not really trying to compare the two, just trying to learn the differences :)

Really looking forward to see the ship after her dry dock as well.