Active Roll Calls?

Sail Girl

I have seen Roll Calls of all lengths. On a couple for a B2B in December (two short cruises) and the Roll Calls are as dead as can be. On many others I have joined (usually 10+ days) there have been hundreds if not thousands of posts. Not sure what the difference is. Wondering if the shorter cruises attract more younger people who are not as interested in that type of thing? I have also had the misfortune, on occasion, of being on Roll Calls where a few of the people knew each other and bombarded the thread with posting after posting after posting that meant nothing to the rest of us. How incredibly rude! If you are reading this and you are one of those people, please reconsider! Exchange emails and chat that way (or live chat or whatever).

That’s the main reason for my question.

Perhaps the Edge sailings will have busier RCs. I know my busiest RC was for the Silhouette’s Maiden US voyage out of Port Liberty.

I'm on two Edge roll calls and neither one are particularly active, granted they are not the maiden voyages, but I did think they would be more active than they are. One does have a group on FB, but that isn't active either.

I've noticed the same as others though over the past few years the roll calls have really seemed to quiet down. It's been several years since I have had a really active one.

Some Roll Calls take it off line and create their own on Facebook, mainly so they can speak freely without having to worry about cruise critic guidelines. I mentioned one time about a certain TA Roll Call was moving rather slowly when someone told me they are going guns a blazing on the Facebook Roll Call for the same TA.

Be careful what you wish for..... I'm on one Roll Call where there is a group that knows each other and posts frequently about what they are doing on a day to day basis in their current life. A couple of posters have written "What does this have to do with our cruise?" and are told that making friends is part of the Roll Call. Hmm. Yes, but I am not really interested in the current weather/wedding/anniversary/dinner plans of people I have yet to meet. I wish they would take their talk to another forum. I've stopped even reading that thread....

Yup, you know it! When you join a roll call, and the person who starts it continually refers to the "reunion cruise", you kinda feel left out! Then starts the chat about day to day life. I'm with you... that's not the point of the roll call. Let's organize some excursions and perhaps have a couple of meet ups onboard. If you end up meeting people that you click with 'in real life', then you can bond over "current weather/wedding/anniversary/dinner plans" of people that you've now met!!

This may or may not be an answer to some of the problem but how long has CC been doing auto posts to a roll call for members? We haven’t cruised for 4 years. I don’t remember this in other roll calls I participated in back then. I’ve noticed a lot of these auto posts were from new members of CC. Maybe an attempt by CC to get more participation? Most of the participating members on our roll call have been a member of CC for a while. As others have mentioned here some roll calls don’t pan out as being lively. But I agree about people that post comments that don’t have anything to do with the cruise but more about them thereby excluding others of the pleasure of reading about the cruise.

Edited by Purifyer
cruised 4 years ago not 3

This may or may not be an answer to some of the problem but how long has CC been doing auto posts to a roll call for members? We haven’t cruised for 4 years. I don’t remember this in other roll calls I participated in back then. I’ve noticed a lot of these auto posts were from new members of CC. Maybe an attempt by CC to get more participation? Most of the participating members on our roll call have been a member of CC for a while. As others have mentioned here some roll calls don’t pan out as being lively. But I agree about people that post comments that don’t have anything to do with the cruise but more about them thereby excluding others of the pleasure of reading about the cruise.

Would guess it's about a year...

(and a side note...i wish you could click on a post and then that specific post would never show up again when you go back to the thread)

Actually you can, you use the ignore feature. The downside is that you won't see any of that person's posts.

I've never used it, but came real close a few times.