What do you think about Florida staying on Daylight savings time.

dolittle

So Florida is staying on D.S.T.all year I think it is a good idea for tourists you will be able to sleep later and see the sunrise and have more light in the late afternoon. It will be strange to have to reset your watch ,when you arrive being you never had to before (we live on the east coast). Do you think this is a good idea.

So Florida is staying on D.S.T.all year I think it is a good idea for tourists you will be able to sleep later and see the sunrise and have more light in the late afternoon. It will be strange to have to reset your watch ,when you arrive being you never had to before (we live on the east coast). Do you think this is a good idea.

I don't know - the people on cruises already have enough trouble trying to figure out what time to schedule things in ports now. Adding another twist (Florida on it's own time), would just be a bigger headache.

Plane schedules - let's see, I take off from LA now, and land in Florida 5 hours later (but there's a 3 or 4 hour difference, depending on the time of year)? So what time do I schedule my pick up at the airport?

Great, the opposite of Arizona! As if that outlier wasn't confusing enough.

It is not official yet. While signed into law by Gov Scott, any deviation in a Federal program such as Daylight Saving Time still has to be approved by Congress. Though given they have previously approved the elimination of DST in Hawaii, Arizona, and portions of Indiana (reinstated in 2005) I don't see why Florida wouldn't be--even though they are doing the reverse and keeping DST rather than Standard Time all year (in essence, moving themselves as the only part of the US in the Atlantic time zone).

Who cares about those of us who actually live and work here [emoji849]

Dumbest idea ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be inclined to think it would make more sense to stay on standard time year round - or possibly have the whole state switch to Central Time. Sunrise is pretty late here right now - if it were DST in December, it would probably be dark until almost 8:00 or 8:30.

What I find hard to grasp is not appreciating the adjustment of switching time as we do now. Few people ever need daylight much before 6:00 AM - while it is great to have light until 9:00 or later in summer.

It is not official yet. While signed into law by Gov Scott, any deviation in a Federal program such as Daylight Saving Time still has to be approved by Congress. Though given they have previously approved the elimination of DST in Hawaii, Arizona, and portions of Indiana (reinstated in 2005) I don't see why Florida wouldn't be--even though they are doing the reverse and keeping DST rather than Standard Time all year (in essence, moving themselves as the only part of the US in the Atlantic time zone).

States are allowed to keep standard time all year round without congressional approval. Hawaii and Arizona is standard time year round, not DST, and no approval is needed for any state to stay there. That allowance is written into the law that dictates when Daylight Savings time starts and ends. Florida, and California, however, are considering staying on DST (not regular standard time) year round. It's keeping DST that needs congressional approval.

The reason for staying on the same time schedule year round is due to several studies showing that the hour change at both ends of DST is difficult for some people to adjust to, resulting in productivity drops for one to two weeks after each change. The advantage of year round DST is that people are typically more active in the late afternoon and evening than in the morning. DST gives people one additional hour year round of daylight in the evening to take walks, bike ride, get some exercise at the local park, etc.

Edited by sloopsailor

States are allowed to keep standard time all year round without congressional approval. Hawaii and Arizona is standard time year round, not DST, and no approval is needed for any state to stay there. That allowance is written into the law that dictates when Daylight Savings time starts and ends. Florida, and California, are considering staying on DST (not regular standard time) year round. It's keeping DST that needs congressional approval.

The reason for staying on the same time schedule year round is due to several studies showing that the hour change at both ends of DST is difficult for some people to adjust to, resulting in productivity drops for one to two weeks after each change.

I hope California doesn't adopt it. If there's such issue with the change over, why not just keep everyone on standard time year round?

I hope California doesn't adopt it. If there's such issue with the change over, why not just keep everyone on standard time year round?

See my edit after your posting for the reason for DST year round. Many people would rather have an additional hour of daylight at the end of the day rather than at the beginning.

I would like to see the elimination of the semi annual time changes everywhere...doesn't matter to me whether it is standard or 'daylight' that prevails....just leave it the same all year round.

Some cruise ships that sail from Florida into the Atlantic Time Zone, stay on "ship's time", regardless of the local time. It does make it confusing when booking independent tours at these ports, but makes life for the crew on board a lot easier....

Who cares about those of us who actually live and work here [emoji849]

Dumbest idea ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very well-said. Think about it. If you had a child or grandchild living in Florida, would you really want them waiting for the school bus in the dark?

Very well-said. Think about it. If you had a child or grandchild living in Florida, would you really want them waiting for the school bus in the dark?

You're right (eyeroll). It's not like hundreds of thousands of children elsewhere around the world have to wait for school buses before sunrise for months at a time. Some of them are probably children and grandchildren of CC posters.

Even these days I think we change the clock too quickly.

It has been very dark in the morning and I do think of school children outside waiting for buses and/or walking.

I have no idea why even Federal Law was changed to move Day Light Savings as early as it is today.

Seems silly to me.

Keith

In the NE US, daylight savings time means that children are going to school in the dark during winter. Year round daylight savings time throughout the US was tried in 1973 supposedly to save energy.

There is no such thing as getting an "extra hour" of daylight. Available daylight is just being shifted from one artificial construct to another.

The reason for staying on the same time schedule year round is due to several studies showing that the hour change at both ends of DST is difficult for some people to adjust to, resulting in productivity drops for one to two weeks after each change.

That's ridiculous -- a one-hour time change???

We have executives who travel to/from Europe regularly (1-2 times/month), with a 6-hour time change and they are expected to function on arrival.

For me -- traveling 3-4 times to Europe a year -- I often extend my stand over a weekend and return home Sunday night. I am back at work on Monday morning. Is it unpleasant the first day or even two -- yes. But I find it very difficult indeed to comprehend that a time change of only one hour could impact any but a few possible outliers for one to two weeks.... :')

There is no such thing as getting an "extra hour" of daylight. Available daylight is just being shifted from one artificial construct to another.

Exactly! I personally wish they would do away with the whole silly thing.