Train ride

Would anyone know if there are train excursions in seAttle? Maybe dinner train?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I have done a wine train and a mystery dinner train (not in conjunction with a cruise) but I *think* they both were on the east side. I will look when i get home.

I guess I am going to show my age, but it was called the Spirit of Washington (clicky) and it shut down about 10 years ago because they sold the track right of way to the county who turned it into a hiking trail. As someone pointed out, your best bet for something similar would be an Argosy Cruise.

I guess I am going to show my age, but it was called the Spirit of Washington (clicky) and it shut down about 10 years ago because they sold the track right of way to the county who turned it into a hiking trail. As someone pointed out, your best bet for something similar would be an Argosy Cruise.

Argosy is the only thing I can think of.

fastpitchdad can you email me @ nclstar12222017 @ Gmail .com I have a question for you.

Thanks for all your responses. I was looking for something different to do

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately you have some really ignorant people posting here. There is a great historic train operating at the railroad museum in Snoqualmie. https://www.trainmuseum.org/index.php/visit-us/regular-trains there are also historic trains that operate at Lake Whatcom (Bellingham), Chehalis and soon in Shelton depending on your schedule and location.

Unfortunately you have some really ignorant people posting here. There is a great historic train operating at the railroad museum in Snoqualmie. https://www.trainmuseum.org/index.php/visit-us/regular-trains there are also historic trains that operate at Lake Whatcom (Bellingham), Chehalis and soon in Shelton depending on your schedule and location.

Wow, nice attitude. You couldn't find a way to reply without calling everyone ignorant (and did you really need to do the same reply four times)?

Snoqualmie is not exactly Seattle is it? It would be more than $200 round trip by cab. I even said the old dinner train might operate on the east side implying it might not work as a Seattle train either and that is a heck of a lot closer than Snoqualmie. And the OP asked about a Dinner Train. The Snoqualmie train is decidedly not a dinner train.

A Bellingham train? Holy smokes...do you know how far from Seattle that is? Why not suggest the Mount Rainier train? It's closer. Chehalis? Shelton? How about the Eugene Oregon, Train? Or something out of Vancouver?

FWIW, I have been on the Snoqualmie train many times. It was great when my kids were really young (they have a Santa train). Even if it were from Seattle I would probably only recommend it for parents with young kids.

Edited by fastpitchdad

Wow, nice attitude. You couldn't find a way to reply without calling everyone ignorant (and did you really need to do the same reply four times)?

Snoqualmie is not exactly Seattle is it? It would be more than $200 round trip by cab. I even said the old dinner train might operate on the east side implying it might not work as a Seattle train either and that is a heck of a lot closer than Snoqualmie. And the OP asked about a Dinner Train. The Snoqualmie train is decidedly not a dinner train.

A Bellingham train? Holy smokes...do you know how far from Seattle that is? Why not suggest the Mount Rainier train? It's closer. Chehalis? Shelton? How about the Eugene Oregon, Train? Or something out of Vancouver?

FWIW, I have been on the Snoqualmie train many times. It was great when my kids were really young (they have a Santa train). Even if it were from Seattle I would probably only recommend it for parents with young kids.

First the OPer asked for a train excursion not necessarily a dinner train. I forgot about Mt Rainier Scenic that is another good idea. Second, Elbe is 76 miles from Seattle so is much further than Snoqualmie at 24 miles which can be done by bus. The train is a 10 mile round trip which is obviously great for all ages since it is afterall a train. Snoqualmie does have occasional wine trains which are not normally for kids. The OPer doesnt give any idea of time frame so I gave a variety of options, really very simple.

I would also add the street car museum in Yakima, great old leather belt driven machinery in the shop.

First the OPer asked for a train excursion not necessarily a dinner train. I forgot about Mt Rainier Scenic that is another good idea. Second, Elbe is 76 miles from Seattle so is much further than Snoqualmie at 24 miles which can be done by bus. The train is a 10 mile round trip which is obviously great for all ages since it is afterall a train. Snoqualmie does have occasional wine trains which are not normally for kids. The OPer doesnt give any idea of time frame so I gave a variety of options, really very simple.

I would also add the street car museum in Yakima, great old leather belt driven machinery in the shop.

My main issue is that you called everyone who replied ignorant for providing perfectly reasonable replies based on the OP's request. They asked for a Seattle train and preferably a dinner train. That unfortunately doesn't exist.

You then suggested Snoqualmie which only works if OP has a rental car and quite a bit of time which I definitely didn't infer from the OP. Snoqualmie is more than 30 miles from Pier 66 and though you can take a 2 hour bus ride to get there during the week (including a half mile walk) that service does not run on the weekend. And while I love the Palm Springs of Washington and the surrounding wine country, suggesting in this context is kind of off the rails (no pun intended :evilsmile: ).

Edited by fastpitchdad

My main issue is that you called everyone who replied ignorant for providing perfectly reasonable replies based on the OP's request. They asked for a Seattle train and preferably a dinner train. That unfortunately doesn't exist.

You then suggested Snoqualmie which only works if OP has a rental car and quite a bit of time which I definitely didn't infer from the OP. Snoqualmie is more than 30 miles from Pier 66 and though you can take a 2 hour bus ride to get there during the week (including a half mile walk) that service does not run on the weekend. And while I love the Palm Springs of Washington and the surrounding wine country, suggesting in this context is kind of off the rails (no pun intended :evilsmile: ).

There is no reason to assume the OPer is going to a train excursion from pier 66. What time the OPer has available isnt given so again you are making assumptions. You assuming what the OPer is thinking is just plain arrogant. Like always the OPer will act as they wish on any information given. Should the OPer wish they may cross the Seattle city line at any time. The OPer may rent a car. The bus runs on Sarurday so again you are incorrect ( https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/metro/schedules-maps/208.aspx#saturday ) the bus stop is literally right across the street from the depot so again you are incorrect. My post is an example of what I call thinking out of the box.

There is no reason to assume the OPer is going to a train excursion from pier 66. What time the OPer has available isnt given so again you are making assumptions. You assuming what the OPer is thinking is just plain arrogant. Like always the OPer will act as they wish on any information given. Should the OPer wish they may cross the Seattle city line at any time. The OPer may rent a car. The bus runs on Sarurday so again you are incorrect ( https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/metro/schedules-maps/208.aspx#saturday ) the bus stop is literally right across the street from the depot so again you are incorrect. My post is an example of what I call thinking out of the box.

Except for this being a cruise message board I have no idea why anyone would assume an excursion might begin from a cruise port. And you are correct, it might not be pier 66 it might be pier 91 which is even worse.

You're right. A 2+ hour bus ride is available on Saturday but not on Sunday. Congratulations...that sounds like a wonderful option.

All I am saying is provide the information but you don't have to call everyone else on the thread ignorant (in 4 sequential posts) when what they provided was perfectly accurate. Your post(s) is an example of what I call being an ass.

Except for this being a cruise message board I have no idea why anyone would assume an excursion might begin from a cruise port. And you are correct, it might not be pier 66 it might be pier 91 which is even worse.

You're right. A 2+ hour bus ride is available on Saturday but not on Sunday. Congratulations...that sounds like a wonderful option.

All I am saying is provide the information but you don't have to call everyone else on the thread ignorant (in 4 sequential posts) when what they provided was perfectly accurate. Your post(s) is an example of what I call being an ass.

actually they may be in Seattle for some days prior to the cruise, didnt think of that did you. The OPer has been provided info on the actual situation beyond that they will do as they wish and I have no reason to care. You may stop stalking now.

actually they may be in Seattle for some days prior to the cruise, didnt think of that did you. The OPer has been provided info on the actual situation beyond that they will do as they wish and I have no reason to care. You may stop stalking now.
So it's ok for you to make assumptions but it is not ok for anyone else take a post at face value? Don't reply with unwarranted personal insults and I won't feel the need to call you out on it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

So it's ok for you to make assumptions but it is not ok for anyone else take a post at face value? Don't reply with unwarranted personal insults and I won't feel the need to call you out on it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

There was no unwarranted personal attacks, just a simple statement of fact. You can stop making stuff up.

Why are you so arrogant on Cruise Critic by always calling everyone ignorant, stupid, lying and etc. in your posts.

Another option for a train is Seattle to Vancouver B.C. and back. Leaves Seattle at 8AM and arrives in Vancouver at around 11:30 AM. The Train returns to Seattle at 5:30PM and arrives in Seattle around 8:30 PM. This is a very scenic train ride as the tracks are right along Puget Sound about 75% of the time. The rate when I took it 2 years ago year was $23 Senior rate each way when purchased 30 days ahead of time. They keep the prices low because Amtrak is subsidized by the Govt. (Taxpayers)

Another option for a train is Seattle to Vancouver B.C. and back. Leaves Seattle at 8AM and arrives in Vancouver at around 11:30 AM. The Train returns to Seattle at 5:30PM and arrives in Seattle around 8:30 PM. This is a very scenic train ride as the tracks are right along Puget Sound about 75% of the time. The rate when I took it 2 years ago year was $23 Senior rate each way when purchased 30 days ahead of time. They keep the prices low because Amtrak is subsidized by the Govt. (Taxpayers)

This train, the Amtrak Cascades, while operated by Amtrak is funded by the states of Oregon (ODOT) and Washington (WSDOT) - Oregon south of Portland and Washington north of Portland. Washington also funds the trains between Seattle and Vancouver.

BC taxpayers also subsidize (but not enough for the free WiFi to operate on our part of the tracks!!!) With the enviably top-notch level of pedantry on this thread, I couldn't let that info slip past unknown - and also have to correct the schedule as the trains actually run 7:45am-11:50am northbound and 5:45pm-10:10pm southbound.

Since there's a bistro car on the Cascades you could actually eat dinner on the southbound train OP, so technically this would actually achieve your initial request of a train ride that starts IN Seattle, AND with dinner! More trains run Seattle-Portland though, so you could spend a much smaller chunk of your day if you went south and came back - at least 5 daily each way, incl one Coast Starlight if you want to ride in the regular Amtrak instead of the nicer TALGO carriages.