Why no accessible balcony cabin for three people--Who can I write to

GINNY L

Next May on Mother's day week,I am planning my mother's memorial at sea on the Bliss. (My mother loved cruising and wanted her memorial at sea in Alaska) I have a brother who has an adult son who is handicapped. My nephew can not walk, is blind, and has limited vocabulary. This is going to be my brother and his family first cruise ever. They really wanted a balcony cabin. We just found out that there is no such thing as a three person accessible balcony cabin on the Bliss as well as other ships and cruise lines. I could not believe this and thought this is extremely sad for my brother and for other families who fall in this situation. I would really like to write to somebody to see if this can get changed for other cruise ships and when the cruise ships go in for revamping.

I just want to make it clear this is not tend to be a negative posting about Norwegian and the service I have received, because the service has always been amazing. The service has been so much better on Norwegian then other lines that I used to go on all the time. It is just to get this type of cabin made available to families who would love to have a balcony cabin and an accessible one.

I'm a little lost here as to what constitutes accessible in this context... Certainly the Jewel class have wheelchair accessible balcony cabins. These will have a bed that can be split (or not) and also a couch that can be turned into a bed, sleeping up to 4. Mini's, Suites and beyond (at least). What is it that you are seeking beyond that that will help?

You can write to whomever you want, but if there are no ADA balcony cabin with a capacity of three on the ship you want to sail, that is just the way it is. They cannot suddenly create one for you. I am ADA as well BTW.

She didn't say she wanted to magically make one appear for her cruise.

She wanted to see if they could have some on future ships in that class that are yet to be built.

Bill

You can write to whomever you want, but if there are no ADA balcony cabin with a capacity of three on the ship you want to sail, that is just the way it is. They cannot suddenly create one for you. I am ADA as well BTW.

If you read my post, I stated for future ships and when they get re-vamped. I did not say anything about creating one out of thin air.

I thought they had some disabled aft-balconies that might hold 3. I cruise in an aft penthouse and could swear that there was a family in one of the aft-balconies. Check out 15284.
I also thought those aft balconies held three but they did not. I guess the couch does not pull out.

There are suites (17124/18124) that are HC and sleep 3.

Unfortunately, these suites are extremely expensive for an Alaskan cruise. I wish the price was not an issue for him, but these prices are way high.

I took a quick look and quickly found that on the Gem class ships (i.e. Jewel & Pearl do Alaska cruises), the Balcony (BC category on deck 9) has accessible cabins for 3 guests.

Thank you for the information. Wonder why they quit making 3 guests accessible cabins.

13106 is labeled ADA & 3 passenger. It is a Haven cabin, along with the 2 that 2 wheels recommended.

The Bliss has the Observation lounge & the Waterfront, so lots of public spaces to enjoy the view, there are Inside cabins that are ADA & hold 3.

Not exactly what you want but May in Alaska will be cold, I'm not sure how much you would be on the balcony

Thank you for the information. Wonder why they quit making 3 guests accessible cabins.

they didn't quit making them, they are available as Insides & Suites. There are horror stories on CC about ADA balcony doors not working.

The Pearl & Jewel are lovely ships, less crowded than the Bliss and might be a better fit for your family. I haven't cruised with someone who uses a wheelchair, but did live with someone for 7 years, who used a chair.

Is there an forum that might have suggestions for the best ships for wheelchair users?

I'm a little lost here as to what constitutes accessible in this context... Certainly the Jewel class have wheelchair accessible balcony cabins. These will have a bed that can be split (or not) and also a couch that can be turned into a bed, sleeping up to 4. Mini's, Suites and beyond (at least). What is it that you are seeking beyond that that will help?

My brother was looking for an accessible BALCONY cabin on the Bliss that holds three, but found out they don't make them for that ship and for a lot of the other ships. I just feel that it is very disappointing for families in the same situation who would like an accessible balcony cabin that can hold 3 without having to pay triple the amount for a Haven cabin.

they didn't quit making them, they are available as Insides & Suites. There are horror stories on CC about ADA balcony doors not working.

The Pearl & Jewel are lovely ships, less crowded than the Bliss and might be a better fit for your family. I haven't cruised with someone who uses a wheelchair, but did live with someone for 7 years, who used a chair.

Is there an forum that might have suggestions for the best ships for wheelchair users?

I did a search for three person accessible balcony cabin and could not find anything.

Balconies for 3 and 4 people are very tight. To widen everything and make them ADA for a wheelchair meant taking out the sleeping for the other 1 or 2 people. Quite possibly you could make due with a Balcony with a + sign by it, which means the bed is near the balcony and the pullman comes down from the ceiling. I doubt your nephew could maneuver out the balcony and there would not be a roll in shower. You could bring a shower chair for him to sit on if the two of you can maneuver him onto it. That way, you could sleep in the pullman bunk and your brother and nephew take the bed. Possibly, if his wheelchair collapses, it could be taken to the balcony and he could sleep on the balcony side, given him the option to get up and roll out into the balcony or at night, be on the balcony and then come in to bed. Unfortunately, there will not be maneuverable room for him to do this himself at will.

I know you are asking for future cruises but I am trying to see ways to make it work for you in May.

Next May on Mother's day week ...This is going to be my brother and his family first cruise ever. They really wanted a balcony cabin.

We just found out that there is no such thing as a three person accessible balcony cabin on the Bliss as well as other ships and cruise lines.

Not necessarily true that other cruise lines do not have accessible balcony cabins for 3.

Just did a mock book of Celebrity Solstice, 7 night cruise May 10, and it showed 4 accessible rooms for 3 people still available over the Mother’s Day sailing. (7143, 6135, 6137, 6141).

Perhaps call a travel agent who can tell you which cruise lines and ships sailing Alaska during the time you need DO have accessible 3-person balconies.

Good luck!

Not necessarily true that other cruise lines do not have accessible balcony cabins for 3.

Just did a mock book of Celebrity Solstice, 7 night cruise May 10, and it showed 4 accessible rooms for 3 people still available over the Mother’s Day sailing. (7143, 6135, 6137, 6141).

Perhaps call a travel agent who can tell you which cruise lines and ships sailing Alaska during the time you need DO have accessible 3-person balconies.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the information.

GinnyL,

Hi!

How will you resolve this problem on your current cruise in question? Is there a way you can split your party with the nephew and one parent in a 2 Person HC cabin (if available?) and the other parent in a connecting or across the hall cabin?