Active Roll Calls?

Sail Girl

I’m a member of four X Roll Calls, none of which are active. It’s not the cruise length (4,5,7 and 14 days), the time of year (September, November and February) or the time until sailing (3 months, 6 months and 13 months).

Any active Roll Calls out there?

Any reason for them being active?

Just curious.

TIA

Agnes

I’m a member of four X Roll Calls, none of which are active. It’s not the cruise length (4,5,7 and 14 days), the time of year (September, November and February) or the time until sailing (3 months, 6 months and 13 months).

Just curious.

TIA

Agnes

It could be the itineraries or a lack of a person to “take charge” of the roll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just curious.

TIA

Agnes

Sometimes lack of participation means a large special group is on the ship and have their own private discussion channel on some other platform.

Sometimes they move onto other platforms -but more often its that no-one actually takes charge. You need an active member to galvanize the group and arrange the get to together party. If there isn't one on your roll call - there is an opportunity. And from experience the ship knows who is active and posting. (Yes I know this ID is new - lots of reasons (none malign) but an experienced cruiser.) And about to live blog on our next departure.

I was just on a quiet roll call and could not figure it out. Here are some possible reasons. Most cruisers were first or second time cruisers who had no interest in the roll call. In addition, many were part of larger groups who had their own communication network. It was so quiet that they could not get more than 17 for a Meet and Mingle. It was never held. We had a great cruise as our fellow cruisers were enthusiastic and very friendly.

Just curious.

TIA

Agnes

It's my experience that the longer the cruise, the more likely that there will be an active roll call. But, agree there is no certainty! Our 9 night Southern Caribbean Equinox Roll Call was quite quiet for quite a long while then took off some months ago and we now have over 12500 views..

Roll calls are so different....have been on 4 Transatlantic cruises and all have had very active roll calls....now on a roll call for the Silhouette TA next April and it is DEAD....so weird.....by this time on other roll calls we've had at least 1000 posts the current one has 110 and those mostly between 3 people....just no rhyme or reason to why one is active and another is not...

I’ve been a roll call veteran for almost 15 years here and have definitely noticed a downturn in participation is the last two years or so. No real speculation as to why.

Be careful what you wish for..... I'm on one Roll Call where there is a group that knows each other and posts frequently about what they are doing on a day to day basis in their current life. A couple of posters have written "What does this have to do with our cruise?" and are told that making friends is part of the Roll Call. Hmm. Yes, but I am not really interested in the current weather/wedding/anniversary/dinner plans of people I have yet to meet. I wish they would take their talk to another forum. I've stopped even reading that thread....

I’ve been a roll call veteran for almost 15 years here and have definitely noticed a downturn in participation is the last two years or so. No real speculation as to why.

I've noticed this too and find it quite disappointing. No clue why. An active roll call usually leads to a great cruise, some interesting shore excursions, and oftentimes, to new friends and cruising friends.

Our next cruise has a very, very active Roll Call (over 1000 posts). It is a 14-day, leaving in Jan. We have some terrific folks that have stepped up to create spreadsheets, host pub crawls, etc. It should be a great cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am on this roll call and cruise (actually hosting the pub crawl) and it is a great roll call. There are still some good roll calls out there, but I will say, in my experience, that other social media sites have taken away from these roll calls. The last few times there has been another "roll call" of sorts on social media sites that we cannot mention on this site. They were ok, but you had to post both places because some did not use the other and vice-versa.

Also, the two best that I have been involved with were longer cruises. They were 15 days through the Panama Canal on NCL in 2015 and a 14 day on Celebrity Reflection in January 2019.

I was just on a quiet roll call and could not figure it out. Here are some possible reasons. Most cruisers were first or second time cruisers who had no interest in the roll call. In addition, many were part of larger groups who had their own communication network. It was so quiet that they could not get more than 17 for a Meet and Mingle. It was never held. We had a great cruise as our fellow cruisers were enthusiastic and very friendly.

Glad to see your post on this Board!

Are you doing the Equinox Feb 16,2019?

It has a slow Roll Call also.

Agnes

That’s the main reason for my question.

Perhaps the Edge sailings will have busier RCs. I know my busiest RC was for the Silhouette’s Maiden US voyage out of Port Liberty.

Be careful what you wish for..... I'm on one Roll Call where there is a group that knows each other and posts frequently about what they are doing on a day to day basis in their current life. A couple of posters have written "What does this have to do with our cruise?" and are told that making friends is part of the Roll Call. Hmm. Yes, but I am not really interested in the current weather/wedding/anniversary/dinner plans of people I have yet to meet. I wish they would take their talk to another forum. I've stopped even reading that thread....

I was on a RC like that once, found it very annoying and did stop reading it. Guess I’m hoping for a happy medium! Oh, well!!

Just curious.

TIA

Agnes

Have wondered ourselves.

Have seen very quiet roll calls... with 7 and 15 night sailings...and anything from 3 mos to 1 yr out...

Once a group started on a social media site. That one was active

That said we found that ony once has the Sail Away party been any fun/great turnout--it was for a Baltics sailing--15nights. That same sailings Crew event/meet the Cptn etc with coffee etc was at the Lawn Club and well attended.

Cruise Critic and its members here get a bad rap on other social media... which I feel is unfair