Sirena wifi questions

DMdoc

We'll be cruising on Sirena starting July 8, and had some ?s about the wi-fi onboard.

1) for couples who each have a laptop and a cell phone, what package did you use & did it work well?

2) has anyone used a Google Home smartspeaker? Did it work? I assume it will need a travel router.

3) how good (or how spotty) is the wi-fi coverage throughout the ship?

4) are there wired (ethernet) connections or wireless or both in the cabin?

Thanks in advance!

You get one free unlimited account per cabin 1 device at a time

In my blue book it has a 2nd unlimited package for $24.99 p/d

200 mins for $160

per minute @ 99 cents

if you need streaming upgrade that is extra $9.99 per day

I never noticed ethernet connection

I just use the WiFi

cannot help with Cell phone ours stays at home

We'll be cruising on Sirena starting July 8, and had some ?s about the wi-fi onboard.

1) for couples who each have a laptop and a cell phone, what package did you use & did it work well?

2) has anyone used a Google Home smartspeaker? Did it work? I assume it will need a travel router.

3) how good (or how spotty) is the wi-fi coverage throughout the ship?

4) are there wired (ethernet) connections or wireless or both in the cabin?

Thanks in advance!

Depending on loyalty status, it may be possible to have two instead of one complimentary unlimited internet account for your cabin (or, at least, a discount on the second package).

Know that the "better" package is NOT faster. Rather, it differs only in that it doesn't block streaming content.

Oceania's R ships have some spots that get better connectivity than others. In cabin, it can vary from cabin to cabin and can also depend on location within the cabin. I've found that the best spot on the ship is in the lounge close to the control booth and the worst is in the Terrace Café. However, it appears that the slowness OFTEN reported is related to "latency" (server communication) rather than speed capability of the network.

There are no Ethernet connects in cabins.

BTW, if you are an AT&T cellular subscriber, wifi calling works perfectly! But, make sure that the network displayed in the home screen header says "AT&T wifi" and not something like "cellular@sea (w/wo AT&T)." That is actual roaming cell service at sea and is quite expensive -even with AT&T cruise package.

IMO: airplane mode on, wifi on (ship's network), all roaming (cell and data) off, wifi calling on.

As far as a speaker: I've read that travel routers may not be all that easy to configure (if doable at all) based on the ship's setup. That said, I've previewed many small speakers and am convinced that the best value/quality/size is a Bluetooth JBL Flip for $100+\-. Also, know that HDMI connectivity to the cabin TV is usually disabled. But, there is an extensive DVD lending library and decent movies showing 24/7 on three channels (hopefully, you'll get one of the new Samsung TVs rather than the older LGs, which are often on "life support").

We are in a penthouse and have use of a laptop and/or Ipad. Does that come with its own wifi separate from the 1 device? For example, if I wanted to use the wifi on my personal iphone but then also have wifi for the laptop/ipad (only using the 1 free account), could I?

Thanks!

No (unless your loyalty status gets you 2 accounts or you purchase a second one w/wo discount). Note that the one free account can be moved from device to device.

We are in a penthouse and have use of a laptop and/or Ipad. Does that come with its own wifi separate from the 1 device? For example, if I wanted to use the wifi on my personal iphone but then also have wifi for the laptop/ipad (only using the 1 free account), could I?

Thanks!

you get 1 free account

you can sign in on any device you want but only one device at a time is permitted for the Free Internet account

• 2 months later...

I'm not an Oceania expert, but Oceania did announce it was upgrading Wi-Fi on the fleet and it would be operational by April of this year. They also say Wi-Fi will be free for everyone, but there will also be a higher speed streaming option available at an added cost.

Details here: http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/oceania-cruises-introduces-free-high-speed-wi-fi.html

Thanks Ano. My reading of the announcement is that the new WiFi system is free per suite but not per device. We have two iPads and like to be connected at the same time.

If you book an OS, OC or VS suite you both can be connected at the same time on your own devices

If not only one of you get the FREE connection the other person must pay if you use a different device at the same time

Or you could do like many others & one person log in with the FREE account do what they need to do then let the other person use the Free account on their device when you have logged off

Yes looks like only one connection. Some tablets and phones have the option to act as access points to other devices, so one could be the main unit and others connected to it, but the two would need to be in close proximity to each other. Another option is use a Wi-Fi client and hook it to a Wi-Fi router, so many devices could share one connection.

Yes looks like only one connection. Some tablets and phones have the option to act as access points to other devices, so one could be the main unit and others connected to it, but the two would need to be in close proximity to each other. Another option is use a Wi-Fi client and hook it to a Wi-Fi router, so many devices could share one connection.

Yes, because the Wifi is not slow enough as it is, so we need more people splitting their "given" signal. :mad: