Communicating with spouse while on-board

SaltyBeard

I wonder if some people are cruising on the same Oceania I've been on?

While not as prevalent as on X or Royal Caribbean there have been door decorations on almost every Oceania cruise I've been on. Especially the ones with Alumni groups on them.

I think what you're seeing here is some personal bias being put out as what some people want it to be, not what really is. A lot like the dress code threads.

But then again I'm just a hillbilly so I don't know any better. I personally haven't decorated my door on Oceania, but I've put a magnet or two up on Celebrity.

Just my .02

On second thought I really hate seeing those doors decorated with the quarantine tape. I've seen that on Oceania more than any other line I've been on unfortunately. I think there have been a few pictures of those posted here.

Edited by ORV

ORV

I think you are right

I have seen some door decoration/signs but they are small so not really off putting

i-f9rxpG4-L.jpg

now something like this would probably not be allowed on O

i-KhqdZgp-L.jpg

We sometimes use walkies..Stu doesnt text..LOL

Jancruz1

It's a great way to get the attention of other passengers. We experienced being in the vicinity (at least 20 feet away) of a person using a walkie-talkie while on a Celebrity cruise.

The discussion went something like this:

"Where are you?"

"What?"

Louder: "WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU?"

"I'm at the bar. Can you hear me?"

"This thing isn't working. Can you hear me? What?"

It's a great way to get the attention of other passengers. We experienced being in the vicinity (at least 20 feet away) of a person using a walkie-talkie while on a Celebrity cruise.

The discussion went something like this:

"Where are you?"

"What?"

Louder: "WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU?"

"I'm at the bar. Can you hear me?"

"This thing isn't working. Can you hear me? What?"

sounds like some of the cellphone conversations & Facetime

:eek:

Well this has certainly been informative, especially since this will be our first cruise. I guess based on all the unanimous feedback, we won't worry about finding each other's whereabouts. I will say however in response for all the comments about it being "a really small ship", point of view is everything. Prior to this all our at-sea experience is in boats in the 35' to 60' range where all you need to do to communicate is shout. From my POV, the Insignia at 600' is a big ship.

Regarding the door decoration topic, never heard of these before. I don't want to sound judgmental but it doesn't sound like something we would ever do. That's just our personal bias, speaking of which....

I think what you're seeing here is some personal bias being put out as what some people want it to be, not what really is. A lot like the dress code threads.

I'm really curious about this. Other than the "country club casual" line in the Oceania brochures and a few pictures in same, not much to go on. Seems like this may be a more nuanced topic than I originally thought. I've been assuming (perhaps naively) that there are some minimal expectations for dinner but that during the day I can wander around in sandals, shorts, and a Grateful Dead t-shirt and nobody would bat an eye. Care to elucidate on how folks dress on Insignia or point me to the relevant threads?

Seems like this may be a more nuanced topic than I originally thought. I've been assuming (perhaps naively) that there are some minimal expectations for dinner but that during the day I can wander around in sandals, shorts, and a Grateful Dead t-shirt and nobody would bat an eye. Care to elucidate on how folks dress on Insignia or point me to the relevant threads?

Yes you could dress like that during the day

At dinner in the dining venues slacks & polo shirt or a shirt with a collar will do for men

Women usually wear nice slacks & top or skirts or a dress if you prefer

No shorts or T shirts in the GDR or Specialties for dinner

If you choose to wear dress shorts & a T shirt that is allowed in the Terrace (buffet) in the evening

It is not as complicated as some people make it :D

check the FAQ's page

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Well this has certainly been informative, especially since this will be our first cruise. I guess based on all the unanimous feedback, we won't worry about finding each other's whereabouts. I will say however in response for all the comments about it being "a really small ship", point of view is everything. Prior to this all our at-sea experience is in boats in the 35' to 60' range where all you need to do to communicate is shout. From my POV, the Insignia at 600' is a big ship.

Regarding the door decoration topic, never heard of these before. I don't want to sound judgmental but it doesn't sound like something we would ever do. That's just our personal bias, speaking of which....

I'm really curious about this. Other than the "country club casual" line in the Oceania brochures and a few pictures in same, not much to go on. Seems like this may be a more nuanced topic than I originally thought. I've been assuming (perhaps naively) that there are some minimal expectations for dinner but that during the day I can wander around in sandals, shorts, and a Grateful Dead t-shirt and nobody would bat an eye. Care to elucidate on how folks dress on Insignia or point me to the relevant threads?

Maybe James Taylor or Jackson Brown tee shirt would work better (?)

Yes you could dress like that during the day

At dinner in the dining venues slacks & polo shirt or a shirt with a collar will do for men

Women usually wear nice slacks & top or skirts or a dress if you prefer

No shorts or T shirts in the GDR or Specialties for dinner

If you choose to wear dress shorts & a T shirt that is allowed in the Terrace (buffet) in the evening

It is not as complicated as some people make it :D

check the FAQ's page

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Agreed. It's complicated for people who think rules shouldn't apply to them.

Welcome to CC, Saltybeard

Wifi is the method to connect to the network (and then to the internet) so is a method stream videos (Netflix brand or other)....

Not true with streaming videos on O. Though marketing would love you to believe the "high speed for streaming option" is really for streaming. But, the internet speed is exactly the same as the "free" internet which is too slow to stream. Only difference is the "high speed" option doesn't block streaming sites. Which is worthless if there isn't the speed to stream in the first place.

Just my experience on board and talking to the IT support on Rivera. Just passing info on so others don't get taken by the "high speed" lie.

Cheers,

John