Waitlist Questions

katz

Happy July 4th!

I have some questions about waitlists. We are on the waitlists for all Penthouse categories. Our numbers are 19, 18 and 15.

Checking O's website today, I noticed that PH1 is available. This is in the Find a Cruise section that lists the details of the cruise. If all categories are waitlisted, why are they advertising availability? Shouldn't people be moving up the waitlist instead? If someone makes a reservation today and requested a Penthouse, would they be given the one that is listed as available?

I hope that I am explaining myself clearly. Thanks for your help.

if you see an opening why not call Oceania or your TA and ask to get the cabin

Yes they should be moving people off the wait list but who knows how the revenue dept works

Happy July 4th!

I have some questions about waitlists. We are on the waitlists for all Penthouse categories. Our numbers are 19, 18 and 15.

Checking O's website today, I noticed that PH1 is available. This is in the Find a Cruise section that lists the details of the cruise. If all categories are waitlisted, why are they advertising availability? Shouldn't people be moving up the waitlist instead? If someone makes a reservation today and requested a Penthouse, would they be given the one that is listed as available?

I hope that I am explaining myself clearly. Thanks for your help.

I experienced the same issue. We were #1 & #2 for all PH cabins, but 2 cabins that became available were given to others instead of us! We were very unhappy.

Thanks for your responses. Too bad the waitlists are not fair. And, I do plan to call tomorrow morning to see what the deal is. I have the feeling that Oceania does whatever it feels like doing, and doesn't have much regard for their clients.

or it could be that the website listings are not a true reading of cabins actually available

I found out about the 2 PH cabins that were given to others rather than us by reading posts here on CC from the people who got them....not a website listing.

This has happened to me, I just booked it online immediately and had my deposit transferred over to the booking (because the cruise was far enough out). Yes I had more deposit that I needed but it is pay now or pay later.

Thanks for your responses. Too bad the waitlists are not fair. And, I do plan to call tomorrow morning to see what the deal is. I have the feeling that Oceania does whatever it feels like doing, and doesn't have much regard for their clients.

What did your TA have to say. Did they have a waitlist approval in their inbox for you yesterday?

YoHo---my TA has my permission to grab a Penthouse, whichever category comes up, as soon as O calls him. I told him to not even call me for approval, just take it. We will see what happens.

Cate---can I do it myself even though I have a TA. I thought about it, but don't know the "rules".

BTW all the Penthouses were back to waitlisted this am. So, either someone got lucky in booking on line, or #1 on the list was very happy.

YoHo---my TA has my permission to grab a Penthouse, whichever category comes up, as soon as O calls him. I told him to not even call me for approval, just take it. We will see what happens.

Did you set a money limit on that upgrade or are you willing to pay whatever they ask?

I am willing to pay the amount listed on O's website at the time of the offer. But I know that if I make the sad puppy face, my husband will agree to a higher amount.;p;p;p:)

I am another one that learned about the cold reality, of the so-called "wait-list"....

I put down the minimum deposit last October for a category F or G Inside on the Insignia full ATW cruise, departing January, 2019.

My 'O' consultant told me I was "number one" on the list, and that it would probably clear around final payment time, six months out, when people have to pay, or give up their booking.

I waited patiently, periodically checking the 'O' website, to see if there were any availability in any category.

Last month, I learned about an available F from my CC Roll Call. By the time I reached my consultant, (a new one), it was gone.

I complained to her about it, and cc'ed the email to their customer service, asking why I wasn't offered it, being "first on the waitlist". She sheepishly admitted the flaw in their system...released space is not held for the waitlisted, but is "up for grabs", by whomever sees it first on their website. Apparently they only go to the waitlist, if it sits available long enough for whenever they check it, over some unknown period...

Anyway, a couple of days later, a "manager" calls me with the good news...they found me a "G" inside, and I happily closed the deal. The cabin is an accessible one, and I suspect they were holding it all along for someone needing it, but since I was 'wronged', decided to give it to me...not sure either way. I told them I would gladly yield it to someone needing it, if they could re accommodate me to another non accessible cabin.

Lesson learned....don't rely solely on the "wait list", but be pro-active, and check for yourself several times a day...;)

I am willing to pay the amount listed on O's website at the time of the offer. But I know that if I make the sad puppy face, my husband will agree to a higher amount.;p;p;p:)

For disclosure, I am not a fan of waitlisting unless perhaps one already has a cabin booked or wants to join friends already booked or otherwise really, really, really wants to go on that sailing.

That said, as long as you are okay with any cabin (I am except for deck 11 penthouses on O class under that overhang) I think it is good plan to give your TA the okay to accept on your behalf.

However, waitlists are cleared at the prevailing price - not when the placed on the waitlist so as Paulchili implied, might be good to put price limit on it. Also unlike upsell offers, you have 48 hours to decline the waitlist or it is accepted so not as much of a rush or miss it

For those wondering "why them and not me" there are essentially two waitlsist: deposited and not. So if you do not have deposits on them all you are on the second list. I am not saying that is why you saw availability, got no offer, then no availability - just pointing that out. I agree, your issue does seem not right. I was about to say "odd" but then I have read of this before if I recall correctly.

I hope you get you one of your waitlists cleared soon and will be sailing off to a happy cruise.

I am another one that learned about the cold reality, of the so-called "wait-list"....

I put down the minimum deposit last October for a category F or G Inside on the Insignia full ATW cruise, departing January, 2019.

My 'O' consultant told me I was "number one" on the list, and that it would probably clear around final payment time, six months out, when people have to pay, or give up their booking.

I waited patiently, periodically checking the 'O' website, to see if there were any availability in any category.

Last month, I learned about an available F from my CC Roll Call. By the time I reached my consultant, (a new one), it was gone.

I complained to her about it, and cc'ed the email to their customer service, asking why I wasn't offered it, being "first on the waitlist". She sheepishly admitted the flaw in their system...released space is not held for the waitlisted, but is "up for grabs", by whomever sees it first on their website. Apparently they only go to the waitlist, if it sits available long enough for whenever they check it, over some unknown period...

Anyway, a couple of days later, a "manager" calls me with the good news...they found me a "G" inside, and I happily closed the deal. The cabin is an accessible one, and I suspect they were holding it all along for someone needing it, but since I was 'wronged', decided to give it to me...not sure either way. I told them I would gladly yield it to someone needing it, if they could re accommodate me to another non accessible cabin.

Lesson learned....don't rely solely on the "wait list", but be pro-active, and check for yourself several times a day...;)

Actually the lesson you should learn from this is that you need a connected Travel Agent and you shouldn't rely on the Oceania's consultants/customer service reps.

If you were #1 on the list and had money down there is no way you shouldn't have got it. Probably went to someone with a good TA.

For disclosure, I am not a fan of waitlisting unless perhaps one already has a cabin booked or wants to join friends already booked or otherwise really, really, really wants to go on that sailing.

That said, as long as you are okay with any cabin (I am except for deck 11 penthouses on O class under that overhang) I think it is good plan to give your TA the okay to accept on your behalf.

However, waitlists are cleared at the prevailing price - not when the placed on the waitlist so as Paulchili implied, might be good to put price limit on it. Also unlike upsell offers, you have 48 hours to decline the waitlist or it is accepted so not as much of a rush or miss it

For those wondering "why them and not me" there are essentially two waitlsist: deposited and not. So if you do not have deposits on them all you are on the second list. I am not saying that is why you saw availability, got no offer, then no availability - just pointing that out. I agree, your issue does seem not right. I was about to say "odd" but then I have read of this before if I recall correctly.

I hope you get you one of your waitlists cleared soon and will be sailing off to a happy cruise.

Yo, read the first post, they are booked, with money on the table. They are just wanting to upgrade to PH. They are on the waitlists for all 3 cats, but the best spot they have is #15, that is why they weren't contacted.

Actually the lesson you should learn from this is that you need a connected Travel Agent and you shouldn't rely on the Oceania's consultants/customer service reps.

If you were #1 on the list and had money down there is no way you shouldn't have got it. Probably went to someone with a good TA.

Sorry, but I disagree with this. If their own company reps, who have higher access abilities to their system, then any outsider, or at the least, equal, then I don't see how a TA could do any better, unless they got "lucky", and like anyone else, just happened to scan for vacancies, right after one became available.

You could be correct, in that the TA might check more often, but then again, no TA would be willing to devote as much time in searching as I would for myself, had I known about their systemic flaw.

The answer is that Oceanic should reprogram their system, to hold vacancies until wait listed passenger's are first given the opportunity to buy them...

Cate---can I do it myself even though I have a TA. I thought about it, but don't know the "rules".

BTW all the Penthouses were back to waitlisted this am. So, either someone got lucky in booking on line, or #1 on the list was very happy.

Yes, you can do it yourself, but then you will have to have the booking transferred over to your TA. An extra step, yes, but then you get the suite you want. We are doing a BTB next winter and are in different cabin for each segment. I am checking everyday to see if the PH we want becomes available for the first segment. If it does I'll just grab it online.

Sorry, but I disagree with this. If their own company reps, who have higher access abilities to their system, then any outsider, or at the least, equal, then I don't see how a TA could do any better, unless they got "lucky", and like anyone else, just happened to scan for vacancies, right after one became available.

You could be correct, in that the TA might check more often, but then again, no TA would be willing to devote as much time in searching as I would for myself, had I known about their systemic flaw.

The answer is that Oceanic should reprogram their system, to hold vacancies until wait listed passenger's are first given the opportunity to buy them...

Okay, but how'd that work out for you?

Thanks, everyone, for the discussion. I am now checking the website twice a day instead of once. I am going to let my TA know that if I see availability, I will try to make the booking and have him cancel the insisting reservation, then turn it over to him.

Too bad waitlists and life aren't fair!

• 1 month later...
This thread answered several questions I had about the wait list. Unfortunately it doesn't leave me feeling very good about the system in place. I guess having a premier travel agent is most important. How do you find one with that relationship with Oceania?

Word of mouth.

Any other method violates the first rule of fight club :halo:

This thread answered several questions I had about the wait list. Unfortunately it doesn't leave me feeling very good about the system in place. I guess having a premier travel agent is most important. How do you find one with that relationship with Oceania?

You can get started by visiting Oceania's website at https://www.oceaniacruises.com/find-agent/. Beyond that, yes, it's word of mouth.