Viking Competing On Food

ABoatNerd

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2018/06/17/viking-cruises-restaurants-cuisine-culinary-program-ambitious/708427002/

Looks like the chefs are not resting on their laurels, but paying attention to response of passengers and more new offerings.. Love the changing up of the menu even im Manfredi.

Interesting post on the Viking board.

Since a cornerstone of Oceania's marketing is "best cuisine at sea" thought this was interesting.

What do you long term Oceania folks think about this article and Viking food versus Oceania?

Since a cornerstone of Oceania's marketing is "best cuisine at sea" thought this was interesting.

What do you long term Oceania folks think about this article and Viking food versus Oceania?

When Viking offers unlimited lobster then I may consider them.

We have cruised on both. Viking is good but not as good as Oceania in our opinion, and there are not that many restaurants on V. We did not like the Chef's Table Restaurant so glad to hear they are increasing the menu variations. Also good to hear they are raising the bar on the sushi. On Viking our favorite was Manfredi, the Italian restaurant. We have a Viking cruise booked for next year so we will have to wait and see if there is much of an improvement overall.

We just love the specialty restaurants on Oceania (Marina/Riviera) and we think the grill station at the Terrace Cafe is great with the lobster tails, prawns and lamb chops. My personal favorite is the sea bass at Red Ginger! We will definitely book another cruise on Oceania....waiting for next itineraries to come out.

I don’t believe that Viking will really try to actually compete heads up with O on food. Where they will make inroads with we itinerary hoods is by continuing to add new itineraries and ports in places that O seems happy to skip or mostly brush over. Some of their current itineraries are already just flat out better than O’s . As they further increase the offerings, as I hear they are planning with the addition of new ships, sailing them may become inedible for us.

The R ships don’t have Jacques or Red Ginger, just the other two Specialties restaurants where they haven’t changed the menu in 15 years. Matter of taste, although liking lobster, having the availability of their unlimited baby tails every day is not a big deal.

Where they will make inroads with we itinerary hoods is by continuing to add new itineraries and ports in places that O seems happy to skip or mostly brush over. Some of their current itineraries are already just flat out better than O’s .

Which ones have caught your attention?

I too have been on both lines. The food on Viking is nice but it does not rival Oceania on either the O ships or the R ships.

Oceania ships are more cosy/comfortable than Viking. Viking is very Scandinavian in design...... of course. We prefer Oceania's ambiance but we enjoyed our cruise with Viking Ocean. You have to make up your own mind in these things and the only way is to take a cruise with both. J

Do they have anything rivaling Jacques - my favorite restaurant on O?

No.

We liked Viking as a change of pace but the food is a level below O.

Their Italian restaurant Manfredi was as good as Tuscana and we were happy to pick up an extra reservation there.

Their chef table concept gets mixed reviews as it is a fixed, themed menu that changes every third day or so. We waited to book onboard so we could see the menus. We pored through the menus and chose the West indies night. I loved it. It was well presented and the food was delicious. But the other themes didn’t appeal to me and I would probably skip.

Their Pool grill was pretty good, maybe a little step below Waves food wise. It was several levels below Waves seating wise as there is no shaded outdoor dining. People take their plates to the pool area or eat inside.

The World Cafe was average, mostly self service which I don’t like. Food was laid out and sat there. They offer grilled to order chicken, tasteless. I think they offer grilled to order steak. Otherwise there is no comparison to the grill station on Oceania. On embarkation day they closed at the normal 2pm, first time on a cruise ship the buffet didn’t stay open most of the day. We arrived at 2:30 and were disappointed it was closed.

Very good sorbet counter.

They had bountiful seafood trays out each night.

The Restaurant menu was not as bountiful. Entrees were generally very good, accompaniments mostly good.

Didn’t try the Norwegian eatery, which is just a counter. People rave about the waffles.

Tasteless bread in all venues but Manfredi's, which tried to copy O focaccia bread and it came close. They even arranged the bread basket like Oceania does.

Sammiedawg,

Thanks for the detailed food comparison. We too are trying Viking next year for “change of pace” but it doesn’t sound like we would prefer it to O.

That said, we’ll try to go with an open mind.

Thanks to everyone for their analysis.

I have only 1 Oceania voyage so far, so can not comment.

But the article in the USA today provided Viking with considerable positive press.

Happy sailing.

I am amazed that food is the determining factor for so many in choosing a cruise line. Not for us

We care more about overall experience. Food better on oceania than crystal. We now would opt for crystal every time , even with its smaller suites

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am amazed that food is the determining factor for so many in choosing a cruise line. Not for us

We care more about overall experience. Food better on oceania than crystal. We now would opt for crystal every time , even with its smaller suites

bitob,

It just confirms the old adage - to each their own.

There is no right or wrong choice - we all choose what we prefer for reasons of our own. :D

Enjoy Crystal. :)

bitob,

It just confirms the old adage - to each their own.

There is no right or wrong choice - we all choose what we prefer for reasons of our own. :D

Enjoy Crystal. :)

I’m not saying your priority is wrong. Just surprising. I believe I can find something good to eat on any ship

I’m not saying your priority is wrong. Just surprising. I believe I can find something good to eat on any ship

We don’t choose O strictly just because food (although it is important to us) - it’s taking EVERYTHING into account that tilts the scales to O over Crystal for us (for now :))

PS I am sure you have read my review and comparison of the 2 lines after our Crystal cruise. I detailed why Oceania works better for us despite some advantages of Crystal.

Edited by Paulchili

for us it is not about the food

so I agree with Paul

To each their own

If Crystal works for you great ..it may not work for others

I will NEVER sail on mass market ship again but others will so good for them

JMO

To be honest I do not see how Viking can compeat they only have 1 at most maybe 2 specialties and rather limited menus from what I have read. when O offers 4 to 5 and lobster in ever one, even the pool grill ! What you say and what you can do are very different things

Just good advertising on Vikings part.... make grandiose claims of best this or best that, over and over and some come to begin to believe their B.S.

Viking offers a very good product. Their marketing has been near genius and the marketplace likes them. They’ve won lots of “awards” for various categories of best this, best that. I’ve personally become suspicious of this type of award, ever since my former employer won a Mothers magazine award for “best family oriented place to work”. Employees laughed our heads off as we knew it was a demanding,white collar sweatshop.

Viking offers a very good product. Their marketing has been near genius and the marketplace likes them. They’ve won lots of “awards” for various categories of best this, best that. I’ve personally become suspicious of this type of award, ever since my former employer won a Mothers magazine award for “best family oriented place to work”. Employees laughed our heads off as we knew it was a demanding,white collar sweatshop.

I guess that is what has always bothered me about them, along with the British voice over during the river boat commercials. It’s just a bit much. I decided then and there I would never fall for it and sail with them.

Brits, please don’t take offense. Use of British voice overs are a marketing tool here in the US to exude luxury.

I guess that is what has always bothered me about them, along with the British voice over during the river boat commercials. It’s just a bit much. I decided then and there I would never fall for it and sail with them.

Brits, please don’t take offense. Use of British voice overs are a marketing tool here in the US to exude luxury.

And expertise, get so tired of it on the morning shows.

We like BOTH Oceania and Viking Ocean Cruises. Each of the cruise lines have their strong points and we would happily cruise with either of them again (and again).

However, in our view, one of Viking's two speciality restaurants, it is NOT one of their strong points. In fact, we think it is one of their WEAKEST links. (We even did a review on our last Viking Ocean cruise a few months ago and this page gives you the link to our report on the Chef''s Table https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2576451&page=3 ) .

Apparently, it was not just us who disliked it. There were others who disliked it too, although some others liked it. It seemed a bit like "Marmite", you either hate it or love it. Some of the dishes they concocted seemed rather odd tasting .

If we go on Viking Ocean again, we will try to AVOID the Chef's Table. Give us Oceania's Red Ginger any day! As far as the Chef's Table is concerned, we do not think that it is any "threat" to Oceania's specialty restaurants.

Viking ships have only 2 speciality restaurants while the O ships on Oceania has 4 (And as we have indicated, we have "written off" one of Viking's two speciality restaurants, the Chef's Kitchen.). The other of Viking's speciality restaurant, Manfredi, has a kind of "American- Italian" feel about it. The cooking there was good . Actually, we would prefer Manfredi to Toscana if push comes to shove.

What we liked about Viking, and which Oceania does not have, is Mamsen's , a kind of cafe with really delicious Scandinavian cakes, soup and open faced sandwiches. However, Oceania's afternoon tea is a far superior experience than Viking's afternoon tea service (Viking does not have a buffet of pastries for afternoon tea, they bring the pastries and sandwiches to your table). As far as the buffet restaurants are concerned, the two cruise lines are "neck-and-neck".

The Main Dining room experiences on both cruise lines are good but neither are "perfect".

The pool side burger bar /restaurant offering on Oceania , in our view, is better on Oceania. For us, the quality of the burger on Oceania is "top notch", but somehow seemed somewhat "lacking" on Viking Ocean.

Edited by Gnoelj

We we liked about Viking which Oceania does not have is Mamsen's , a kind of cafe with really delicious Scandinavian cakes and open faced sandwiches. .

it it like Barristas or more dessert oriented ?