Self Assist Debarkation

Blanq

I am new to Oceania, sailing on the Riviera, with a return to MIA on 2/5/19. Does Oceania offer self assist debarkation, and if so, would someone let me know their experience and what I might expect? Am especially interested in the earliest debarkation time I might expect.

Am eyeing one of two early flight times (10:00 am or 11:10 am) on AA, mainly because I can score flat bed seats on a 767-300 (763). If I miss one if those flights, there are over a dozen later flights to my destination that day, and I would have same day flight change & standby options with my ticket. I have global entry which also gives me TSA pre-check at MIA. Weighing the risk, and I get it’s a risk!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did search the forums before posting and that thread you linked to does not answer my question, which is about self assist debarkation on Oceania. But, hey, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

yes they offer self disembarkation

as for time it depends on immigration & when the ship is released

could be 30 mins or 1 hr

I would not book before noon

In Dec we flew AA & it took over 1 hr in security lines we had TSA pre check & in Bus class

YMMV

Surprised they have lie flat seats on short haul flights ...

Edited by LHT28

yes they offer self disembarkation

as for time it depends on immigration & when the ship is released

I would not book before noon

In Dec we flew AA & it took over 1 hr in security lines we had TSA pre check & in Bus class

YMMV

Surprised they have lie flat seats on short haul flights ...

Thank you so much for your reply about your experience in MIA! I once had a 1:10 pm flight leaving FLL, after a cruise from the Ft Lauderdale port, and walked out of the port at 1:15 pm, 5 minutes after my flight left. They were short customs staff, and it was a mess at the port. So, I am quite aware of the risk that comes with flights following a cruise.

I have never done self disembarkation on previous cruises, and so am interested in that process on Oceania, since I am also new to that line.

Yes, there are some lie-flat planes that fly domestically, but I often am not in the right place at the right time to take advantage of the planes that have them. In this instance I am, so just considering my options.

Oceania I guess works like other lines

you must handle all your bags yourself

Self disembarking pax will be the first group they call

We have only done self disembark once on a Princess cruise

it was not fun with people blocking the exit with large bags that they could not manage themselves thus holding up those that had a carry on size bag

JME

You have your luggage, you go stand in line, you wait until they release you, then you handle all your own luggage and get off the ship. Shouldn't be a big deal at MIA as it should be all level or ramps or escalators. We've carried ours down the gangway before in some ports.

Obviously you know the risks and it looks like you have a backup plan. You will be in the first group off the ship, but it's up to you to decide how soon to go line up.

Interesting to read this thread. We only do self disembark on other lines but they usually let high status(frequent travelers) and suite passengers go before the other people on the ship. It seems that Oceania doesn't do this according to what has been written here.

Is that correct?

Interesting to read this thread. We only do self disembark on other lines but they usually let high status(frequent travelers) and suite passengers go before the other people on the ship. It seems that Oceania doesn't do this according to what has been written here.

Is that correct?

That is correct.

The 11:10 flight is doable. In our experience passengers were off the ship between 8 and 8:30. I don’t remember any immigration lines in the terminal. I recall showing a passport and a customs form as we walked.

Prior to any disembarkation announcement, seat yourself with your bags on whatever floor the gangway is placed. Watch, listen and go. Cabs will be lined up outside the terminal.

In addition it might be helpful to arrange for an airport transfer. The taxi lines can be very long and taxis not always readily available when there are many ships in port.

Been there - done that :)

In addition it might be helpful to arrange for an airport transfer. The taxi lines can be very long and taxis not always readily available when there are many ships in port.

Been there - done that :)

Any suggestions for airport transfer in MIA?

Thanks!

Immigration in Miami has been very fast on our last 5 Oceania cruises. And, since we no longer have to fill out those US Customs forms, it does go very quickly. We've been able to easily make an 11:20 flight. You'll find that disembarking from an Oceania cruise is quite a bit easier than from one of those behemoth mass market ships.

Feb 5 is a Tuesday. I haven’t checked the port info for that day, but I would imagine there would be less port turnaround of the large ships, which would slow things down. There might be more traffic on the way to the airport, however.

This exact same question gets asked repeatedly both here and on the Cruise Air forum. People wanting to book flights with narrow windows, whether it’s trips from the dock to the airport or tiny short airport layovers!

We had people with 10:30 and 11:00 flights out of LHR when we were “scheduled “ to disembark in Southampton at 8:00. British customs allowed us to start the process at 9:00! They didn’t have a chance! Eliminate the risks and worries and book your flights after 12:00. 100% Safe, No, but a lot better than for the early birds!

For those with the 10:30 reservations. One couple was on our flight out two days later. It was July, and that was the earliest flight out available for them having missed their flight!

Here's the thing, for every story like that there's a hundred that made it just fine. I can't count the times I've been sitting at my gate at the airport by 9:30. Having said that I always go in at least a day early and pretty much always try not to book a flight before noon.

The idea is to reduce the obstacles and things that could go wrong. The more time you have the more things should go okay.

But due to having to always make at least one connection to get home it's generally pretty late when we get home. This is why it's tempting for me to want to push the envelope and take an earlier flight out.

One thing the OP and all of the responses did not cover is what time is the ship scheduled to dock. Depending on the scheduled docking time vs. the actual docking time can impact disembarkation a whole lot. Ships don't always make it to the dock when scheduled. Way too many variables in Miami to even try. Remember, a very strong union on the docks and NOBODY gets off the ship until all of the luggage is in the pickup area.

Take a later flight.