Zeebrugge and Brugges

Hi

We will be docking in Zeebrugge in late May and we have decided that we would like to go to Brugges. There are 3 of us and we think we will get the bus from Viator or Cruise Express at 20EUR each (return).

We will be arriving on a Sunday - do Brugges shops/cafes/bars close on Sunday?

Secondly, is there anywhere at Zeebrugge port to buy bottles of wine & spirits?

Thanks

Thanks, that's very helpful.

My wife is keen to do one of the horsedrawn carriage tours (I'm not keen on paying for it though!!)

We talked to some people who did it and said it wasn't worth it. The carriages go quite fast around the town, and some of the employees don't really tell you much about the town and such. For the high cost, they said they wish they had skipped it. the canal boat ride is slower, about 30 minutes and way cheaper. But do it early, otherwise it gets really busy and the boats are packed to capacity.

When we got off our ship (RCI), there were tour buses just sitting there and they were selling R/T tickets, I think it was 20 Euros each. So it was perfect, just walked off the ship and right onto the bus. They drop you at the train station area, about a 20 minute walk to start getting into town. We loved Bruges!!

Just back from a land trip to Belgium that included Bruges. You will LOVE it there; it is truly one of the loveliest medieval cities I've ever seen. Every corner is like a postcard.

You should be okay on a Sunday if you are there in the afternoon. Most museums in Belgium are closed on Mondays, not Sundays, so there should be plenty to occupy you. We didn't do the horse-drawn coach but the city is very compact and walk-able so it's not really necessary unless you just really enjoy that sort of thing. Be sure to climb to the top of the Belfort if you are not mobility-challenged; wonderful views of the city.

Re: The Horse Drawn carriage... Some friends of ours went to Bruges for a week during the last half term holiday and they said it was a Bruges "must-do", so that's what I'm up against!!

To be fair, it is our wedding anniversary whilst we are on this cruise (although, not that day) so I could just stump up as an anniversary treat. Mind you, maybe I shouldn't bother. After all, I'll be taking her out for dinner on the day (MDR - obviously)!

Interesting info regarding the buses at the port. I was wondering whether we shoudl pre-book Viator, but fi you can just hop on a bus for the same cost then there doesn't seem to be much point in booking. Can you pay on the bus with credit card ro do you need cash?

Thanks for the info on the canal cruise. That sounds good. Do I need cash to pay for that or do they accept plastic?

Thanks again for the responses.

Be sure to climb to the top of the Belfort if you are not mobility-challenged; wonderful views of the city.

Wife is a little challenged in the mobility stakes, so that might be a task for my daughter and me. Wife can take a rest on a bench (probably eating chocolate!).

some of the free shuttle buses will only take you to the train station or the port gates

I would confirm with the cruise line where you are dropped

Just to clarify .................

the shuttle buses (might be free, might not) only take you about 3 miles to Blankenberge train station, where you catch the hourly train to Bruges. That's the main problem with the train - it's pretty impossible to know when you'll get to Blankenberge station on the shuttle, might be ten minutes before the train leaves :), might be 5 minutes after it's left which means waiting 55 minutes for the next one :(

For ship's transportation to Bruges, that'll be listed as an excursion called something like "Bruges on your own" and it drops you at the bus lanes on Bargeweg, just off the inner ring road, because full-size coaches aren't permitted into the cobbled city centre. From there it's a pleasant 15-20 minute walk across Minnewater to the Grotemarkt. Same drop-point for the independent / via-Viator transfer operator.

The walk from Bruges train station is about the same distance.

JB :)

Not to hijack this discussion too much, but could anyone comment on the crowds on the last shuttle buses returning from Brugge? I am talking about the commercial shuttles (not ship) that offer a round trip ticket for around $20 per person. I read a couple of reviews that suggested the later buses were mob scenes. My husband and I are trying to decide between the shuttles and the train. I might take my chances with timing the morning train to avoid being treated like a sardine in the afternoon.

Not to hijack this discussion too much, but could anyone comment on the crowds on the last shuttle buses returning from Brugge? I am talking about the commercial shuttles (not ship) that offer a round trip ticket for around $20 per person. I read a couple of reviews that suggested the later buses were mob scenes. My husband and I are trying to decide between the shuttles and the train. I might take my chances with timing the morning train to avoid being treated like a sardine in the afternoon.

You could always take a taxi back & avoid the crush

We shared a prebooked taxi van & just had them meet us at a specific time/place for the return drop off was about a 5 min walk to the centre of Bruges

It worked out to about 25 E per couple r/t & less hassle

JMO

some of the free shuttle buses will only take you to the train station or the port gates

I would confirm with the cruise line where you are dropped

I was referring to the purchased bus trips (e.g. Viator) rather than the free shuttle buses. I wouldn't expect a cruiseline to provide free transport from Zeebrugge to Bruges (although it would be nice!).

Had conisdered using the train but the hourly schedule has put me off. We aren't in port that long and losing a potential 2 hours* waiting for trains is a bit offputting.

*knowing our luck we will miss the outbound train by 1 minute and the same on the return.

Also try Rony's Taxi at Rony@ronystaxis.com We used them twice, 2013 and 2016. Got a group of 8 together on our Roll Call so it came to 25 euros per couple round trip. Can't beat that and they drop you off and pick you up right in the center of town.

<<<Karen>>>

The only issue I have with doing this sort of thing is that you are then tied in to someone else's schedule

Burgmeister-

If you are organizing the taxi you pick the times. We would meet the taxi at 9:00am and be in Brugge by 9:30. Then depending on the time the ship leaves we would meet again at the arranged place and return to the ship about 1 hour before sail away. We posted the tour on the roll call board with the info about the times. If a couple was interested in going with us they got in touch and we added them. Once in Brugge everyone is " on their own" and we didn't wait long if they weren't back at the meeting place. Worked great both times. You are on YOUR schedule and everyone else is too.

<<<Karen>>>

Burgmeister-

If you are organizing the taxi you pick the times. We would meet the taxi at 9:00am and be in Brugge by 9:30. Then depending on the time the ship leaves we would meet again at the arranged place and return to the ship about 1 hour before sail away. We posted the tour on the roll call board with the info about the times. If a couple was interested in going with us they got in touch and we added them. Once in Brugge everyone is " on their own" and we didn't wait long if they weren't back at the meeting place. Worked great both times. You are on YOUR schedule and everyone else is too.

<<<Karen>>>

That's fair enough. We are not great with fixed schedules (despite opting for fixed dining!) and usually like to go when it feels right rather than at a pre-determined time (within reason of course, don't want to miss the ship!)

I'm sure it works really well for some but I like being a bit flexible. It really is a good idea for keeping costs down though.

wouldn't the shuttle be on their own time?

Then you may sit & wait for the bus to fill up

Yes, but they run every 30 minutes so there is flexibility in which one you catch (Viator type shuttle bus - not ship's/port's shuttle). The same with the train (every hour).

A booked taxi leaves once.

We spent some time in Bruges many years ago and agree it is a lovely city! Just in case we decide to skip it on our upcoming cruise (d/t a crazy itinerary for the rest of the trip), can anyone comment if there is something low key near Zeebrugge worth seeing/doing? If not, do I gather from this thread that a prearranged taxi is the least hassle method of getting between Zeebrugge and Bruges for a group of four.