Holland Veendam Ambulatory Accessible Vista Suite Cabins

jpcello

Good morning cruisers -- I'm looking at a cruise on the Veendam with my sister, who uses her own mobility scooter and has some other mobility issues (walks full time with a cane). I've got a hold on Vista Suite B202, which is an ambulatory accessible cabin. I'm assuming because they use the word "accessible" there is enough floor space for the scooter (she has a collapsible scooter - similar size to a Luggie). We're also OK with the small step into the bathroom and shower, but the question is grab bars in the shower. I've sent a message to Holland's accessibility department but wondering if anyone knows if there are grab bars in the shower?

Thanks!

Good morning cruisers -- I'm looking at a cruise on the Veendam with my sister, who uses her own mobility scooter and has some other mobility issues (walks full time with a cane). I've got a hold on Vista Suite B202, which is an ambulatory accessible cabin. I'm assuming because they use the word "accessible" there is enough floor space for the scooter (she has a collapsible scooter - similar size to a Luggie). We're also OK with the small step into the bathroom and shower, but the question is grab bars in the shower. I've sent a message to Holland's accessibility department but wondering if anyone knows if there are grab bars in the shower?

Thanks!

Your assumption is incorrect, HAL's ambulatory accessible cabins are basic standard cabin that has some minimal adaptations . The shower will be a standard shower and it does not have a fold down seat. Additionally the entrance door is not wheelchair accessible width so if your sister's scooter is wider than 21" it won't fit through the doorway. Following description was copied directly from HAL's website :

ambulatory-accessible.pngAmbulatory Accessible rooms are designed for use by guests with mobility disabilities who do not require the regular use of a wheelchair, scooter, or other

similar assistive devices. These rooms provide some accessible features.

Following copied directly from the Veendam Deck Plans :

Suites SA030, B200 & B202 and staterooms K500, G501, G502, C567, FF829 & FF831 are ambulatory accessible, shower only with small step, step into bathroom, standard interior and exterior door size.

Important to note the scooter must be stored in the cabin at all times when not in use. Per SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) regulations the scooter cannot be stored in the hallway regardless what the cabin attendant tells you. Your sister really needs a Fully Accessible Cabin

Edited by xxoocruiser