Size Does Matter

mechcc

My Hubby uses a scooter on board as he can only walk short distances. He doesn't need a roll in shower or a larger bathroom but does need a bit wider door and more room in the cabin to park his scooter. What we have seen on several cruise lines is that handicap cabins increase the size of the bathroom to accommodate wheelchair accessible (rightly so) but they do it without increasing the overall size of the stateroom. Thus, the living/sleeping area becomes to small to accommodate the scooter, If we choose to sail the majority of cruise lines it forces us to go for an expensive suite just to get the extra room to allow for his disability and a wider entry way. I would also think that this may be a problem for many disabled people that need both an accessible bathroom and extra space to park and recharge their mobility device.

What I would like to know, and provide to those that are in the same situation, is what cruise lines and/or ships make room in their disability cabins to accommodate both the need for accessible bathrooms and wider doors by increasing the size of the cabin in each category and those lines that only address the bathroom issues by taking space from the living area of the cabin?

We have sailed on 3 different lines and only Royal Caribbean increases the size of the disabled cabin. Are there other lines that do this and if so, which ones?

I think you have a misconception about the accessible cabins. Sounds like maybe you have only seen modified cabins. The majority of the accessible cabins are larger overall including the general area because they allow wheelchair turning space. Unless you have a large scooter, there should be plenty of room to park the scooter out of the way in a standard accessible cabin.

The modified cabins, especial Carnival's, lack space. Regardless, we have always managed to park both scooters and my POC in a manner to get around every thing. In a standard cabin (not HC / accessible) we rearranged the furniture a few times (cabin steward did it for us). You can arrange the cabin in whatever works for you. Some ships would even take out excess furniture for us. Also, on many ships the coffee table fit perfect under the bathroom sink.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

My Hubby uses a scooter on board as he can only walk short distances. He doesn't need a roll in shower or a larger bathroom but does need a bit wider door and more room in the cabin to park his scooter. What we have seen on several cruise lines is that handicap cabins increase the size of the bathroom to accommodate wheelchair accessible (rightly so) but they do it without increasing the overall size of the stateroom. Thus, the living/sleeping area becomes to small to accommodate the scooter, If we choose to sail the majority of cruise lines it forces us to go for an expensive suite just to get the extra room to allow for his disability and a wider entry way. I would also think that this may be a problem for many disabled people that need both an accessible bathroom and extra space to park and recharge their mobility device.

What I would like to know, and provide to those that are in the same situation, is what cruise lines and/or ships make room in their disability cabins to accommodate both the need for accessible bathrooms and wider doors by increasing the size of the cabin in each category and those lines that only address the bathroom issues by taking space from the living area of the cabin?

We have sailed on 3 different lines and only Royal Caribbean increases the size of the disabled cabin. Are there other lines that do this and if so, which ones?

Both NCL and HAL accessible cabins are larger to accommodate wheelchairs and scooters. We love having the space for the scooter but need to book far ahead of time.

My experience has been the same as Betty's. You state that you've be on Royal but have you been on Carnival and or Holland America ? If so you most likely had an Ambulatory Accessible Cabin (formerly called a modified cabin) and not a Full a. Such cabins are just a standard size cabin with a modified bathroom.

Carnival and Holland have 3 types of accessible cabins. All other cruise lines only have 1 which is Fully Accessible . Depending on the cruiseline as well as the ship a Fully Accessible cabin is generally 1.5 or 2 times the size of the standard cabin in the same catagory. The deck plans usually show the square footage of each cabin classification so it's easy to check.

The 3 classifications for Carnival and Holland are;

Fully Accessible rooms are designed for use by guests with highly limited or no mobility who require regular use of a wheelchair, scooter, or other similar assistive devices and provide accessible elements including turning space, accessible routes throughout the cabin, and accessible bathrooms.

Fully Accessible – Single Side Approach rooms are also designed for use by guests with highly limited or no mobility who require regular use of a wheelchair, scooter, or other similar assistive devices. These rooms provide an accessible route and clear floor space on only one side of the bed in a cabin configured to provide one bed and between the beds in a cabin configured to provide two beds.

Ambulatory Accessible rooms are designed for use by guests with mobility disabilities who do not require the regular use of a wheelchair, scooter, or other similar assistive devices. These rooms provide some accessible features.

Edited by xxoocruiser