Single parent cruises?

Caribbean PR Princess

I've done Princess, Carnival, NCL and Royal Carib with my girls and enjoyed them all. I'm shy by nature but no trouble on a cruise as it lends itself to meeting others - seated at meals, joining games, no problem just sitting down at a bar on a ship where I wouldn't at home. I've never been seated with other singles at meals - I prefer to sit with just my girls at dinner. If seated with others, I'd probably prefer to sit with families with similar-aged kids rather than other singles since if I'm talking to other adults, I want my kids to have others to talk to as well.

On Carnival my son and I were seated with a single mom with two teens and a family with one teen. My kiddo is an old 12. We all commented that it was almost creepy how they had us seated together because when we looked around at other tables, we didn't look like we would have fit very well with those groups. We were all upper class professionals with highly intelligent kids. Carnival must do something to put like people together because it really could not have been a coincidence. By about the second day, the table felt like extended family. There was an over 40 singles meet up on schedule every night. I never went because I like being single just fine and was enjoying spending time with my kiddo but the other mom at out table insisted I would have liked it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've cruised solo with my nieces many times. We like to be seated with others at dinner and as mentioned Disney is fantastic at matching up my niece with other kids her age. We've met some great people who become close friends after the cruise. Royal isn't bad either as there's usually other kids but not necessarily the same age. We can't complain though as we have enjoyed all our table mates to date.