First cruise on Fred

gadabout60

As a result of the Adonia sell off we are going on our first cruise on Fred in April (We like Celebrity and P&O is ok!)

I have found the customer service on Fred so far to be very good but the website seems slow at the moment so couldn't find the answer to a question and wonder f someone could kindly help

We have decided not to have a drinks package - we will pay as we go which we think re choices of wine will suit us better. However I confess I am a diet cokeaholic. Can you buy bottles or cans on board to drink in your cabin or can I take a box or two on board in Southampton? Can I bring bottles / cans on board from any ports ?

We are cruising on Braemar.

Thank you

No problems bringing non alcoholic drinks on board, but alcoholic ones will be taken off you and presumably returned at the end of the cruise. You can just ask for ice at one of the bars and they will give you some in a glass.

The post mix drinks at the bars dispense diet Pepsi rather than coke, but when we were last on without a drinks pack (about a year ago) they were serving us diet cola in cans - I think that was coke, but not sure. They are also happy to serve one can with two glasses which we had at times, when not staying long in a bar.

No problems bringing non alcoholic drinks on board, but alcoholic ones will be taken off you and presumably returned at the end of the cruise. You can just ask for ice at one of the bars and they will give you some in a glass.

The post mix drinks at the bars dispense diet Pepsi rather than coke, but when we were last on without a drinks pack (about a year ago) they were serving us diet cola in cans - I think that was coke, but not sure. They are also happy to serve one can with two glasses which we had at times, when not staying long in a bar.

Thank you!

I'll take a couple of 12 packs and that should save the withdrawal symptoms!

As a result of the Adonia sell off we are going on our first cruise on Fred in April (We like Celebrity and P&O is ok!)

I have found the customer service on Fred so far to be very good but the website seems slow at the moment so couldn't find the answer to a question and wonder f someone could kindly help

We have decided not to have a drinks package - we will pay as we go which we think re choices of wine will suit us better. However I confess I am a diet cokeaholic. Can you buy bottles or cans on board to drink in your cabin or can I take a box or two on board in Southampton? Can I bring bottles / cans on board from any ports ?

We are cruising on Braemar.

Thank you

I know that alcohol brought on board will definitely be confiscated but I cannot find any reference to taking soft drinks on board so perhaps you will need to speak directly to a rep. The drinks package includes diet Pepsi from the post but not in cans.

In my opinion Fred offers one of the best drinks packages in the cruise industry. We are not big drinkers but choose the drinks package for the 50% discount on the premium wines and spirits and usually manage to make an overall saving. We managed to obtain the drinks package for our next cruise at £10 per person just before it went up to £15 but even so I would still choose the drinks package at the higher price.

We have never taken bulk packs of cans on board, but regularly take on a large bottle or two each of diet coke or water in hand luggage, both on embarkation and at some other ports. There have never been any problems with soft drinks/water and we were last on board in November. Policy could always change of course.

We have always reckoned that the drinks pack is worth it for us if there are a lot of sea days, or going north (when it is not easy to pick up cheap drinks ashore), but we have not bothered otherwise. We are not big drinkers though and find the pack just makes us drink at both lunch and dinner, when we do not really want to. That was at £10pppn though - £15 would not be good for us.

The house wines have been OK in the past, but we were not that impressed with some last autumn, though there is a choice now and we found that trying all of them gave us an idea what to ask for - other wise they just tend to pour whatever white, rose or red that was in their hands. Sadly they ran out of the better ones though and even the alcohol free beer had run out towards the end of our 33 night cruise to Mauritius.

On our last cruise round South America on Boudicca, we used to visit supermarkets in the ports and there was never any problem taking a dozen or so cans of tonic we bought on board to use with the bottle of Gin purchased through room service.

• 1 month later...

Echoing others, depending on the itinerary, I see no reason to bring such a large amount of any soft drink on board at the beginning of the cruise. You can buy bottles or cans as needed in port and get ice and glasses/cups from the bars on board.

Also, when I boarded my first Fred.Olsen cruise last year, I was happy to discover the relatively low prices for alcoholic drinks at the bars.

Then, a couple of days into my first Fred.Olsen cruise last year, I was even more happy to see a display and form for ordering bottles of alcohol for on-board consumption at decent prices (GBP 19 and up for decent whiskey or rum). Prices are not as low as duty-free or possibly on shore, but duty-free liquor and liquor bought on shore is not available until the last night of the cruise.

However, I did discover on the last night of one the cruises that they do not allow you to bring into the bars or lounges bottles of alcohol purchased for on-board consumption. I was giving what was left in one of the bottles to one of the bands. In any case, I simply prepared my drinks in my cabin (whiskey on the rocks, rum and coke) and then went anywhere I pleased with them.

Edited by jlajr

• 3 weeks later...
Echoing others, depending on the itinerary, I see no reason to bring such a large amount of any soft drink on board at the beginning of the cruise. You can buy bottles or cans as needed in port and get ice and glasses/cups from the bars on board.

Also, when I boarded my first Fred.Olsen cruise last year, I was happy to discover the relatively low prices for alcoholic drinks at the bars.

Then, a couple of days into my first Fred.Olsen cruise last year, I was even more happy to see a display and form for ordering bottles of alcohol for on-board consumption at decent prices (GBP 19 and up for decent whiskey or rum). Prices are not as low as duty-free or possibly on shore, but duty-free liquor and liquor bought on shore is not available until the last night of the cruise.

However, I did discover on the last night of one the cruises that they do not allow you to bring into the bars or lounges bottles of alcohol purchased for on-board consumption. I was giving what was left in one of the bottles to one of the bands. In any case, I simply prepared my drinks in my cabin (whiskey on the rocks, rum and coke) and then went anywhere I pleased with them.

I believe they sell Pepsi and not coke so that is the reason to bring soft drinks on