St. Marteen taxis and public trasportation (5/17 - 5/26 Anthem)

Just off Oasis in St Martin end Feb/ beginning of March ...2 ships in abundance of taxis But traffic is terrible coming out of port doing road and drainage construction. Sometimes it's a dead stop since they only are using one lane.

You are very correct about that road. I would walk or take the water taxi rather than risk motoring between the port and town.

There is still LOTS of damage from the hurricanes. The locals are SO happy to see the tourists. I have never felt so appreciated. Prices are lower than I remember.

I was there on a Celebrity cruise [overnight] 2 weeks ago. There is still lots of damage. I read that Maho beach is much narrower since the hurricane. You might want to check out the Port of Call message board. I have no personal knowledge of this. It is easy to get a taxi from the port to there.

We took the water taxi on the first day. It was $7pp for all day. If you want to rent chairs/umbrellas they were $25 for 2. On the water taxi to Front street they were selling $1 water and $2 beers. Many stores are still closed. They announced on the ship to take the water taxi to the second stop. However, everyone [including DH and I] got off at the first stop. We were like lemmings following the crowd. LOL

This area from the first water taxi stop to the second stop is very sad. Many of the stores are closed and others are still in rough shape. Lots of bargains in this section of stores. I got a beach bag there for a very good price. I also felt glad to buy form them rather than the chain stores like Diamonds International, etc.

There were lots of taxi vendors in that area of Front Street with signs that said taxi to anywhere. The signs had the government mandated fare printed--but, each of them tried to stop us and negotiate a fare for a tour or taxi ride.

On the second day we had a ship tour booked to Orient Beach. However, it was replaced with a visit to Kim Sha beach on Simpson Bay. Orient Beach was severely damaged and not yet ready for tourists.

We usually do not do ship tours, but they were running a sale online a couple of months before the cruise. It was $49 pp. Considering it would have been around $25 taxi each way for the 2 of us, rental of chairs/umbrella [usually $25] and a lunch that included one drink. I had a rum punch and DH had a beer. We were glad we took the ship tour. Also, it was a narrated tour both ways with a stop along the way back for a photo op. YMMV

The beach was in good shape, we had chairs and umbrellas. There were at least 2 restaurants there. We had lunch at the Green House-- included in the tour. I could not get the wifi to work there or at another restaurant.

Have a great visit. St Martin needs all of the tourist money it can get.

Yes 15 minute walk to Great Bay Beach, the same beach you go to using the water taxi. This is the beach you can see from the ship when you are docked. There is a pathway along the side of the road where you can walk to town or to the beach.

Please take a look at the St. Maarten/St. Martin board here on CC. There have been some posts regarding the water quality of this beach. Many believe Great Bay to be poluted.

The water is not tested, but many locals feel that it should be.

We are going to the Holland House in December to do their beach special. Does any one know how much a taxi would cost to get there? I think it is only 5 minutes from the port.

It is not far at all. A leisurely 15-20 minute stroll if that. Picture is taken sitting on the veranda at Holland House.IMG_2577.thumb.jpg.83080c1c3fc054f2811c3f1a6da4a0f0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As someone said you can take the ferry across to town.We were there in February and the ferry cost $7 for all day,you can go back and forth all day long

I'd love to take a water taxi to Maho beach, I'll have to look all that up.

I'd love to take a water taxi to Maho beach, I'll have to look all that up.

I don't think you can take a $7 water taxi to Maho. However, you can take a $1.50 bus to Maho, but you have to go downtown first, behind the courthouse.

what stop of the water taxi would you get off for the Holland House, #1 or #2?

TIA

Bill

Sometimes it's number 1 and sometimes it's number 2. You want the downtown stop, it's pretty hard to miss. Just ask one of the crew on the taxi.

I don't think you can take a $7 water taxi to Maho. However, you can take a $1.50 bus to Maho, but you have to go downtown first, behind the courthouse.

oh ok I guess a bux or taxi for me - I know the water taxi was more expensive but I find them more fun, that's why I jumped at the chance