Rhapsody Rough Seas

Leaving Barcelona yesterday Captain announced overnight rough seas were expected on way to Corsica. Between 4 and 5am a cabin announcement woke us up saying several cabin windows had broken and some cabins were flooded but situation was under control. This morning we found many people sleeping in Schooner Bar and Shall We Dance lounge. Captain Dimas spoke to them explaining a pressure point had been created when the bow and stern of the ship were temporarily supported between two swells with the middle of the ship momentarily out of the water. Five cabins on deck 3 had windows burst at the pressure point. Once water entered many adjacent cabins on 3 and below on 2 were also flooded. He said seven people were injured and treated but OK. Upon arrival in Corsica they'll repair the windows. Crew is working to extract water and dry things out. Had to have been very traumatizing for those affected. They've been given internet day passes to communicate and assured they'll have whatever support they need, even if the captain has to "personally shop for new shoes for all those still wearing wet shoes."

Mindyjohn - oh boy!! We are booked on deck 3. Any chance you know the section that experienced the blown out windows? Prayers to all those effected and wishing you smooth sailings from here on out!

Biker and mindyjohn I have a special request: my dh is solely a beer drinker. Prefers iPa. Can you report cost and ipa selection pretty please? Also if there is draft beer sold by the pitcher? Trying to decide if I should purchase select package as surprise for him. Tia very much !!!

Biker and mindyjohn I have a special request: my dh is solely a beer drinker. Prefers iPa. Can you report cost and ipa selection pretty please? Also if there is draft beer sold by the pitcher? Trying to decide if I should purchase select package as surprise for him. Tia very much !!!

I have the Select package and will likely try all the offerings - will let you know.

I can't imagine being woken up to blown out windows- that must have been very very frightening. And on day 1 of the cruise to boot.

Ironically, sourcing a replacement window might be easier in Europe since the ship was built there - how convenient it happened there. I wonder if it's obvious from the outside if someone takes a pic of the ship at one of the ports.

Edited by Biker19

We're anchored in Ajaccio now. Captain just announced departure tonight will be delayed 6 hours in order to complete repairs. We'll leave at midnight and will be able to stay on schedule for future ports.

BB2014, I'll see what I can find out.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

We're anchored in Ajaccio now. Captain just announced departure tonight will be delayed 6 hours in order to complete repairs. We'll leave at midnight and will be able to stay on schedule for future ports.

Good luck!

Leaving Barcelona yesterday Captain announced overnight rough seas were expected on way to Corsica. Between 4 and 5am a cabin announcement woke us up saying several cabin windows had broken and some cabins were flooded but situation was under control. This morning we found many people sleeping in Schooner Bar and Shall We Dance lounge. Captain Dimas spoke to them explaining a pressure point had been created when the bow and stern of the ship were temporarily supported between two swells with the middle of the ship momentarily out of the water. Five cabins on deck 3 had windows burst at the pressure point. Once water entered many adjacent cabins on 3 and below on 2 were also flooded. He said seven people were injured and treated but OK. Upon arrival in Corsica they'll repair the windows. Crew is working to extract water and dry things out. Had to have been very traumatizing for those affected. They've been given internet day passes to communicate and assured they'll have whatever support they need, even if the captain has to "personally shop for new shoes for all those still wearing wet shoes."

We were on the Rhapsody with Capt. Dimas in South America in March and there were weather related problems that impacted route and ports. This captain cares about his passengers, his crew and his ship. He is a great guy and will do everything he can to take care of everyone.

This is incredible. Please keep us updated. We just departed Rhapsody yesterday in Barcelona. Dimas is a FANTASTIC Captain and one of, if not the best, that we've had in all of our sailings. He will take care of everyone.

BB, they had Long Hammer IPA in the bottle on our crossing from Brazil to Barcelona. I don't know if that will continue. I did not see any pitchers of beer poured from the taps. Taps we saw: Becks and Stella in the Schooner, Heineken and Stella at the Pool Bar, and Heineken in the Diamond Lounge.

Wow, I can't imagine have the window burst like that, I'm very glad everyone will be okay. Our window on our first cruise shattered, and that was something! We saw it upon returning to our stateroom after breakfast. It was still in place, albeit in a million pieces, and we couldn't see through it.

The Norwegian captain came to our cabin and asked us (with a smile) "Vat did you do to my sheep?!". The window was replaced while we were on our shore excursion that day, and provided no inconvenience to us- just quite a cruise memory! We hadn't asked for any 'compensation' and were surprised to have a bottle of wine and note of apology delivered to us. (Oh, and it was explained that the window had likely been installed too tightly, and this can happen over time.)

The Rhapsody's passengers definitely had a frightening experience. :(

Mindyjohn - oh boy!! We are booked on deck 3. Any chance you know the section that experienced the blown out windows? Prayers to all those effected and wishing you smooth sailings from here on out!

No draft (or draught) beer on board. There are bucket of beer specials with run of the mill American beers.

I am sorry for those on the Rhapsody, especially those in the cabins affected. I cannot imagine sleeping peacefully and suddenly being drenched in sea water.

We were on Viking Star this past January and hit some very rough seas and it was not the least bit pleasant. First time I ran out of my (huge) supply of seasick meds. So I am sorry for everyone on board. I thought we had it bad but at least we didn't get any broken windows! Not any fun when the seas are destructive like that. On the plus side, we were in Ajaccio too and what a lovely port! That's your silver lining in the dark cloud, that the repairs are being done somewhere that it's fun to visit. Hope the rest of your cruise brings you smooth sailing.

Just goes to show me that "The Captain will sail around it" cannot and does not always happen. Hate it for those onboard but it is a vast ocean out there and we are nothing but a little speck floating around in it on these cruise ships.

Im on deck 10 all the way forward looking out the front of the ship on Magic in 5 days. Im really hoping for calm seas or it may be one helluva ride! Never done this before! :eek::o

Since many cabins were flooded, we learned about 150 guests are affected and because of the time needed for repairs and cleanup, most (if not all) will be leaving the ship.

Wow :(

Was cabin 3612 affected we will be sailing may23. I hope they replace the carpets etc.

I don't know for sure, but we took some exterior pix today of the broken windows, and it appears they are 3068,66,64,62,60, but I can't be positive. Unfortunately quite a few other cabins in the hallway and some below were also affected.

Since many cabins were flooded, we learned about 150 guests are affected and because of the time needed for repairs and cleanup, most (if not all) will be leaving the ship.

Do you mean kicked off the ship for good, left behind in Corsica?! OMG, I would be freaking out!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app