Kids with a language barrier

GermericanDream

My daughter will be 4 when we cruise on a Royal Caribbean cruise. We live in Germany, I'm American and always speak English with her, but she always answers in German. She's never been in a position where she had to speak English, and I'm not sure what will happen in that case. She can definitely understand and follow directions in English. But if I tell her "speak English", she just speaks German. She's a bit too young to understand the concept of different languages, I think.

We've never cruised with kids before, so I was curious how the Kids Club works. How will be be notified if she goes in, but wants to leave? Are there often children who don't speak English as a first language? Should I even let her go in the kid's club?

Just two suggestions.

You didn't mention what itinerary you are sailing. That might be helpful.

This is one you may also want to post on the RCI Cruise Line Board.

Keith

Thanks, I'll post there as well. It's a Norwegian Fjord cruise out of Copenhagen. Maybe she'll find some German playmates. Maybe she'll even start speaking English, but I can't count on that!

A European Cruise means a better Chance of more German speaking passengers and therefore also German speaking Crew in the Kidsclub, Too.

Just be aware that There is a Chance your Kid won't like the Club regardless of them speaking German or not

Thanks, I'll post there as well. It's a Norwegian Fjord cruise out of Copenhagen. Maybe she'll find some German playmates. Maybe she'll even start speaking English, but I can't count on that!

This could be a great opportunity for your daughter. It will be good for her to speak with people who cannot speak German. She might surprise you.

Consider this an excellent learning opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, you might have others who speak German on the cruise.

Keith

My daughter will be 4 when we cruise on a Royal Caribbean cruise. We live in Germany, I'm American and always speak English with her, but she always answers in German. She's never been in a position where she had to speak English, and I'm not sure what will happen in that case. She can definitely understand and follow directions in English. But if I tell her "speak English", she just speaks German. She's a bit too young to understand the concept of different languages, I think.

?

My nephew is 3 and lives in the Netherlands. He speaks Dutch and English. He speaks English to his mom that is American and Dutch to his teachers, his other mom, and speaks both depending on the situation. He goes back and forth with it. She is probably just preferring one language or another. Have you asked her to respond in English? Maybe she can understand it but not speak it?

Children that age can get on together with no common language at all. This is a problem that doesn't need solving yet - if it turns out that she doesn't like the club, then you can work on your solution. But until then, there's little likelihood of a problem.

You will be amazed how well she'll get along in the clubs....it's pretty amazing how kids get along...and the fact that she UNDERSTANDS English is a HUGE benefit! No worries!

She'll do just fine! I think it's fantastic that she's able to understand 2 languages! (She's found that she doesn't HAVE to speak English for YOU to understand her...so she doesn't!)

I suspect that while she always speak German to you, she likely CAN speak English and will when she feels the need to.

I've met kids a lot younger than your daughter who have master 3 languages and know who to use what language with. It's all in her little head...it's just a matter of wanting and needing to use it.

Regardless...her being able to understand English will be a HUGE advantage to her. Should she decide not to speak English she will still know what is going on, what is expected of her and will likely just find a way to be understood without words. 1 and 2 yr olds can figure out how to be understood with no words...so she can too if needed!!

I hope she has a blast!

I’ve found little ones very adept at communicating with one another irrespective of language barriers. Several years ago a young family from Germany moved in next door for a consulting job the husband had. Both parents spoke English and were trying to teach the older girl who was about 3. She wasn’t happy with the language and would often declare “no English today”. I breed Persian cats as a hobby and the kittens are very cute. We would often invite the kids over to play with them and would say the kittens only understand English. She was quite happy to speak English at our house.

The 3-5 group will give you phones to use if you ask.

I have a two year old niece that speaks/understands English, French and Spanish. She will only use Spanish for certain words, French for others, etc., as she figures it out.

But, she certainly understands what people are saying.

Your daughter seems to understand what you say in English, so I would think she’d do fine.

And, as another poster said, she may even answer the other children in English.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! We had the reverse problem last summer--we went to a German resort and our kids only speak English. The Kids Club staff spoke a little English, but not much. My 6-year old loved it anyway, and was so proud when she learned to say, "English, bitte". The guests were probably 90% German, but the staff knew how to make themselves understood with those of us who weren't. So if your daughter understands English, I think she'll be fine.

I haven't been on an RCI cruises, but I'm sure they will have a way to contact you if she wants picked up early. I mean, the staff doesn't want to be dealing with kids who don't want to be there any more than we want to leave them there. Daily schedules are always helpful, too, because then you know in advance what she DOESN"T want to do. Although, don't be surprised if you go to pick her up and that "I don't want to event" has turned into "I'm not ready to leave yet". On our last cruise, the Kids Club was open until 11pm, and my husband and I seriously wished that had some sort of child-delivery service to the stateroom at the end of the day. I confess, a couple times we picked her up in our jammies :)

(Yes, everyone, on vacation I let my six-year old stay up until 11pm to attend dance parties with other kids her age. It's her vacation, too!)