Mobility NCL Stirrup Cay

123veranda

New to NCL & am going on cruise in June with one of the stops Stirrup Cay. I am going with a friend who has limited mobility. This is her 1st trip in many years as she has a completely disabled husband. Well, someone volunteered to stay with him & she is over the moon in happiness being able to get away and she wants to do everything. I’m afraid she won’t be able to do a lot of walking & we’ll be stranded there until the next tender back. Does anybody know what they have there as far as transportation .....trams, golf carts, wheelchairs? She can walk some ....just not long distances. She would be happy just getting to a beach and eating. Thanks for any info.

New to NCL & am going on cruise in June with one of the stops Stirrup Cay. I am going with a friend who has limited mobility. This is her 1st trip in many years as she has a completely disabled husband. Well, someone volunteered to stay with him & she is over the moon in happiness being able to get away and she wants to do everything. I’m afraid she won’t be able to do a lot of walking & we’ll be stranded there until the next tender back. Does anybody know what they have there as far as transportation .....trams, golf carts, wheelchairs? She can walk some ....just not long distances. She would be happy just getting to a beach and eating. Thanks for any info.

NCL provides a limited number of free beach wheelchairs on first come first served basis. No one is gauranteed a chair will be available upon arriving on the island. Your friend cannot self propel the beach wheelchair. Someone needs to be available to push the chair for her as NCL does not provide that service, Believe there are shuttles available to tranport people around the island but not certain. You won't be stuck on the island as tenders come and go average eveeery 45 miniutes.

Thanks ...the shuttles would be great. As far as the wheelchairs ...may be doable if not really far. She’s 72 and I’m in better shape at 69 I don’t think I could push her real far. How far is it to the closest beach? How far to food? Really all she wants is to relax on beach and have lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks ...the shuttles would be great. As far as the wheelchairs ...may be doable if not really far. She’s 72 and I’m in better shape at 69 I don’t think I could push her real far. How far is it to the closest beach? How far to food? Really all she wants is to relax on beach and have lunch.

Map of Island http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/nclgreatstirrupcaymap.png unfortunately the map does not have distance legend.

Thanks to all who replied. I don’t think we’ll be able to do this. I feel so bad. I picked the cruise & it’ll probably be her last vacation & I didn’t do enough research. The other ports are Port Canaveral (& there’s nothing there so we were gonna stay on ship) and Bahamas which were gonna try Atlantis beach (excursion says limited walking. ) She wanted to cram all the years she couldn’t go on vacation into this one. Anyhow thanks...... better to know ahead of time.

Are you still going or have you cancelled? I did that exact itinerary in August. I saw NCL employees pushing people in wheelchairs with large tires (I think these are called sand wheelchairs). Stopping in Port Canaveral you can take the shuttle to Cocoa Beach. It lets you off near Ron Jon Surf shop and also a hotel. You can shop and have something to eat. The beach itself is a 5-10 minute easy walk. In the Bahamas you can get a taxi to Atlantis or walk to the British Colonial Hilton and get a day pass.

We’re still going. I booked this in a hurry when she got somebody to “husband sit”(why I didn’t research). I’ve never booked & paid final payment at same time!!! So,I can’t cancel. Soooo, we’ll go with the possibility of not being able to do things; but we will ask for help & maybe we’ll get it. But thanks

Are you still going or have you cancelled? I did that exact itinerary in August. I saw NCL employees pushing people in wheelchairs with large tires (I think these are called sand wheelchairs). Stopping in Port Canaveral you can take the shuttle to Cocoa Beach. It lets you off near Ron Jon Surf shop and also a hotel. You can shop and have something to eat. The beach itself is a 5-10 minute easy walk. In the Bahamas you can get a taxi to Atlantis or walk to the British Colonial Hilton and get a day pass.