St. Marteen taxis and public trasportation (5/17 - 5/26 Anthem)

Forgive me if this question was posted elsewhere, I did search but couldn't find much.

How are the taxis and public transportation around St. Marteen?

Me and hubby have been to Bermuda before and use the private taxis and ferries when we can. I know you should book on RCI excursions so the boat doesn't leave without you but we've never had a problem in Bermuda and was wondering what people experienced in St. Marteen.

Also, does anyone have contact info for a driver they've use and would recommend - or maybe one they wouldn't. We'd like to book a taxi in advance - if there isn't much public transportation around.

Forgive me if this question was posted elsewhere, I did search but couldn't find much.

How are the taxis and public transportation around St. Marteen?

Me and hubby have been to Bermuda before and use the private taxis and ferries when we can. I know you should book on RCI excursions so the boat doesn't leave without you but we've never had a problem in Bermuda and was wondering what people experienced in St. Marteen.

Also, does anyone have contact info for a driver they've use and would recommend - or maybe one they wouldn't. We'd like to book a taxi in advance - if there isn't much public transportation around.

I will be on this cruise and plan on taking a taxi to either kim sha or karakter beach. Im reading prices of anywhere between $9 and 12$ pp each way.

St. Marteen is a port that you really don't need transportation. When you get off the ship walk towards the left and there are water taxis that will take you over to the beach/restaurant/shopping area. There is a large pedestrian walkway and the beach has jet ski rentals. But, I should note that this was all before the hurricane. You can take transportation to the other side of the island, but we found we wasted a lot of time traveling.

There are taxis to the right when you get off the ship. I'm sorry, we don't have a recommendation for you. Have fun!!

We have been to Bermuda and docked in town and once at the Naval Dockyard. It was very easy to get around there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We learned the hard way of getting to Maho Beach. We paid RC about $35 per person to get there. We had to stand in the heat for about 30-45 minutes waiting for transportation. Little did we know we could have just paid $8 each way for a taxi. We actually used a taxi getting back to the ship so it costs us $35 to get there. Plenty of taxis!

It's rare to NEED a ship's excursion just as "insurance". Always set your WATCH to ship's time, and you can feel confident of getting back in plenty of time. Don't rely on your cell phone, as "ship's time" and local time may differ!

We learned the hard way of getting to Maho Beach. We paid RC about $35 per person to get there. We had to stand in the heat for about 30-45 minutes waiting for transportation. Little did we know we could have just paid $8 each way for a taxi. We actually used a taxi getting back to the ship so it costs us $35 to get there. Plenty of taxis!

Actually, you could have taken a public bus, which are more like minivans, for $2.00 per person each way.

Thanks for all the info, I'll def be heading to the taxi's when I arrive!

FYI, many of the replies you received were accurate up to last Hurricane season, but many reports say it is getting back to normal levels now. I've been following closely as we return May 1st.

I'll also had if you are not mobility challenged, I consider the water taxi over priced and slow. It is .6 miles from the spot is drops you off to where you pick it up. Its and easy walk and we usually do that. This year we will definitely walk as we are renting Cam AM Spyders and driving around the island. They are located along that walk way. Pictures and review in around 45 days!

FYI, many of the replies you received were accurate up to last Hurricane season, but many reports say it is getting back to normal levels now. I've been following closely as we return May 1st.

I'll also had if you are not mobility challenged, I consider the water taxi over priced and slow. It is .6 miles from the spot is drops you off to where you pick it up. Its and easy walk and we usually do that. This year we will definitely walk as we are renting Cam AM Spyders and driving around the island. They are located along that walk way. Pictures and review in around 45 days!

Philipsburg is operating very much back to normal. Still some building being repaired and some roofs that need fixing. We didn't venture out of the capitol on this trip so I can't really comment on the rest of the island.

The public bus is a great way to get to Maho. Totally different experience from taking the bus in Boston.:eek:;p

In my opinion the best way to see a Boston bus is from the outside. We have had some great conversations with locals riding the public buses in St. Maarten. I really enjoy mixing with the local folks when we ride.

Don't know how current conditions have affected taxi services. That said, the licensed taxis one finds inside the cruise terminal area are regulated and insured. It's all very organized with posted rates.

In my experience it is quite easy to arrange a private taxi tour. We walked to the taxi stand "behind" the visitor center. Read the signs then talked with the dispatcher and explained what we wanted to do. After a bit of discussion and a head count the dispatcher directed us to an appropriate size vehicle and away we went.

We are going to the Holland House in December to do their beach special. Does any one know how much a taxi would cost to get there? I think it is only 5 minutes from the port.

The water taxi drop off is close to the Holland House, water taxi is around $6.00. Land taxi around same price or take the 20 minute walk.

I will be on this cruise and plan on taking a taxi to either kim sha or karakter beach. Im reading prices of anywhere between $9 and 12$ pp each way.

The price for a taxi is per person but decreases per person if you have more people. Two weeks ago we paid $9 per person for 4 people to go to Karakter (each way) . If you go there you can arrange with the driver to come back and get you at a set time.

Yes 15 minute walk to Great Bay Beach, the same beach you go to using the water taxi. This is the beach you can see from the ship when you are docked. There is a pathway along the side of the road where you can walk to town or to the beach.

Philipsburg is operating very much back to normal. Still some building being repaired and some roofs that need fixing. We didn't venture out of the capitol on this trip so I can't really comment on the rest of the island.
Did you happen to see any jet skis available.

We will be there in 3 weeks and my son just asked me today about them.

Bill

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

We were back in SXM last month and had no issues doing our normal routine = walking into town from the ship and grabbing a "bus/minivan" to Maho/Mullet Bay.for $2pp. Mullet Bay is great shape - new chairs/umbrellas, a vendor with food and drinks. After Mullet we walked back to maho (0.5 miles) to see the planes land in the afternoon. There were less planes this year, but it is still fun. You can pick up a returning Philipsburg bus at the roundabout at Maho.

Orient Beach is still recovering

IMG_4131.jpg

Just off Oasis in St Martin end Feb/ beginning of March ...2 ships in abundance of taxis But traffic is terrible coming out of port doing road and drainage construction. Sometimes it's a dead stop since they only are using one lane.

Harmony in End of Jan .... A mess to many ships / people a disaster at taxi stand totally unorganized! 4 ships in!

2 totally different scenarios.....depends on how many ships are in!

Firstly yes you can water taxi to town ( round trip $7)

But if you like to walk it is walkable as well.

Both times we walked to town and found plenty of beach chairs/ umbrella bathrooms and Drinks available. Women walking the beach selling everything from clothes massages and hair braiding.

Shops are really hurting.... Willing to make good deals!

The beach is lovely swim able which is surprising since it's so close to all the ships.

Maho Beach is small I hear only saw it from a distance on an island tour...

After speaking to crew even they agreed traffic is bad all over island

They are always worried about getting back to ship late!

Guess you will see depending on the day you arrive!