Australia / New Zealand for Dummies!

Ocean Spirit

The Opera House is fun to tour. We saw a show there....disappointing as the consensus, from our group, was that the acoustics were not so good, and the venue nothing special JMHO.

Unfortunately, the designer of the outside of the Opera House wasn't allowed to do the inside. There was a change of government while it was being built and the politicians that thought the whole thing was a waste of money threw him off the project. So the interiors ended up being done on the cheap.

Unfortunately, the designer of the outside of the Opera House wasn't allowed to do the inside. There was a change of government while it was being built and the politicians that thought the whole thing was a waste of money threw him off the project. So the interiors ended up being done on the cheap.

Ah, thank you-very interesting, and so sad....now I must google and read more about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have 4 days in Sydney between our Indian Pacific train journey and boarding a cruise. We have booked the Amora Hotel on Jamison St. the property had good reviews on Trip Advisor and it looked like the location would be within walking distance to many things but a friends comments recently left me wondering if that was indeed the case. Any knowledge of this hotel or the area it is in? Should I look at another location?

Radiance (and all RCI ships) sail from the Overseas Passenger Terminal (OPT). Agree the Holiday Inn is the place to stay for convenience although we have also stayed at the Shangri La and Intercontinental, both pricier but with great views.

Does anyone know if the Ovation docks at the OPT?

We have 4 days in Sydney between our Indian Pacific train journey and boarding a cruise. We have booked the Amora Hotel on Jamison St. the property had good reviews on Trip Advisor and it looked like the location would be within walking distance to many things but a friends comments recently left me wondering if that was indeed the case. Any knowledge of this hotel or the area it is in? Should I look at another location?

I have never stayed there but have stayed in the area, it is fairly central, what was your friends comment?

Holiday Inn Old Sydney The Rocks is an amazing location! You can see, and walk to the Sydney Opera House, and bridge. There are many fabulous restaurants right there. There is a street market that takes place right there-I’m sorry I can’t remember which day. AND you can see, and walk straight to the ship!

We were there on a Saturday and it was on. I think it's also "on" on Friday, but we landed in Sydney on a Saturday morning.....

We were there on a Saturday and it was on. I think it's also "on" on Friday, but we landed in Sydney on a Saturday morning.....

I just read an article on the The Rocks Market. Open Saturday and Sunday 10-5. I had an opportunity to visit Sydney on business and just happened upon the market. It was fantastic and I also suggest putting it on your list of things to do. Can't wait to take my wife there as we are spending many days in Sydney prior to the cruise. Check out this web site for things to do. http://www.sydney.com.au/index.htm

U.S. citizens must have an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) in order to enter Australia. The ETA can be obtained online and it is attached electronically to your passport, so there’s no “visa stamp”. The ETA is generally granted in a matter of minutes, but some applications can be flagged so you should apply early in case there’s a problem. The cost is AUD 20 and you should only apply through the official Australian government website. Do not apply through a 3rd party website even if they claim it costs less.

Here’s a link to the official Australian government website:

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

So this is crazy but we only have 1 day in Sydney. We are staying at the Holiday Inn. To see the most in one day what would you do??Thanks!

What are your interests?

Ferry over to Zoo is always a good day.

Or just a walk through the botanic gardens, around the Ooera House and Rocks area.

So this is crazy but we only have 1 day in Sydney. We are staying at the Holiday Inn. To see the most in one day what would you do??Thanks!

We were riveted by the visit to the Opera House and it’s tumultuous history.... We also stayed at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney and enjoyed its fabulous location enormously.

U.S. citizens must have an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) in order to enter Australia. The ETA can be obtained online and it is attached electronically to your passport, so there’s no “visa stamp”. The ETA is generally granted in a matter of minutes, but some applications can be flagged so you should apply early in case there’s a problem. The cost is AUD 20 and you should only apply through the official Australian government website. Do not apply through a 3rd party website even if they claim it costs less.

Here’s a link to the official Australian government website:

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

Is there a problem with the visas from the 3rd party website? I accidentally got my boyfriend's visa there before I realized it was not the official website - and it cost almost $100 instead of $20. I figured it out and got mine through the official website but is there something wrong with the one I got through the wrong website? We go in November but I don;t want any issues! Thanks.

Is there a problem with the visas from the 3rd party website? I accidentally got my boyfriend's visa there before I realized it was not the official website - and it cost almost $100 instead of $20. I figured it out and got mine through the official website but is there something wrong with the one I got through the wrong website? We go in November but I don;t want any issues! Thanks.

You may be able to check the government website to confirm it shows that he has a visa. If so, all OK, just an expensive lesson to always use the government websites for any visas and not use third parties. Glad you realised before you bought yours.

So you mean my plan to see the Opera house, Harbour Bridge, Uluru, Barrier Reef, Barossa Valley, Margaret River and Broome in the three days between the cruise and flying home is enough to fill the time?

Sorry... Aussie sense of humour :-)

''I am gald to see an Aussie here and love your sense of humor..

I understand what you say.. Can't do it all.. My must do is the great barrior reef and Steve Irrwins zoo to hug a koala bear and a roo.. But my husbands must do is the Hobbitt movie set in NZ.. eveything inbetween we can leave up t the cruiselne to offer.. The problem is I can't find a cruise that does the reef area and goes to Auckand or NZ at all.. so we need side trips. Can you offer advice? I am sure that Aussies go to the Hobbit set all the time.. so how do they get there.. thinking I want to get there from Sydney.

Michelle

''I am gald to see an Aussie here and love your sense of humor..

I understand what you say.. Can't do it all.. My must do is the great barrior reef and Steve Irrwins zoo to hug a koala bear and a roo.. But my husbands must do is the Hobbitt movie set in NZ.. eveything inbetween we can leave up t the cruiselne to offer.. The problem is I can't find a cruise that does the reef area and goes to Auckand or NZ at all.. so we need side trips. Can you offer advice? I am sure that Aussies go to the Hobbit set all the time.. so how do they get there.. thinking I want to get there from Sydney.

Michelle

That's a bit like going on an Alaska cruise and popping over to NYC to catch a broadway musical

Bridgeclimb in Sydney!

Bungy (that’s how they spell it) in Auckland!!!

Hobbiton outa Tauranga!!!!

Mail Run in Akaroa!!!

Enjoy!!!! Soooo awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the mail run in Akaroa in a van or by boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have done Sydney to Vancouver 5 times. (Doing 6 in April 2109)

First I would get electronic visa from EasyETA …...only 9.95 US dollars.

I would also look into Sydney City Pass card based on ones length of stay. Can see many attraction by area in a few days and save over 50% and walk to front of lines. without need to purchase tickets.

The Free day and evening walking tours are also great.

Can I get tour or snorkle trip to GBR from Sydney

The GBR is a 3 hour flight away from Sydney. It actually runs for nearly 2500km along the coast of australia but the most convenient location to access it is from Cairns, which takes about 3 hours to fly to from Sydney. But you can fly to Cairns airport, stay there for a few days and do a day trip out to the reef and maybe also a trip to the Daintree Rainforest or up to Kuranda to make the most of the trip. If you fly to just spend 1 day snorkeling it might not feel worthwhile.

Be aware that you are not snorkeling off a beach on the mainland. The reef is a barrier reef (hence the name), so it situated about 90 minutes by boat off the coast. Some of the tours will visit multiple spots on the reef and you swim off the boat, others go to a fixed pontoon and you snorkel in a roped off area of the reef. These ones have more people on each tour but also offer other things such as glass bottom boats, underwater viewing platforms, buffet lunch and change rooms etc so may be more convenient.

These trips tend to be all day due to the time it takes to get to the reef. They leave around 9am and get back in about 4.30. Because of the flight times it’s not really possible to do this in one day, you need need to spend 2 nights in Cairns at a minimum, as you need to fly in the night before the reef tour and can’t fly out again the next morning, as you get back too late to get the last flight back to Sydney.