Cigar Question for Recent Carnival Paradise Cruisers to Cuba

mjohns2

They do not sell Cuban cigars on the ship.

Do you happen to know the average price of cigars? I am sure it varies on the type. I have to bring back approximately 4 as gifts.

Thanks

If you do some research online, on the various Cuba forums or with Google, you will come across a current price list for each type available (There are many.). The most expensive are about 10 CUC a piece (single). Prices are pretty uniform across all the official stores. Make sure you buy in an official store and not on the street. If you are bringing back presents for serious cigar afficionados, ask them exactly what they want.

• 2 months later...
We were on the NCL Sky last week. The official government run cigar stores in Havana were offering buy 5 cigars and get 1 free. Be sure to ask for that special when you are there.

Thanks for the information. We'll see if this still applies in February.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jamscckmc said:

Were there official stores near where the ships dock?

Yes a couple within walking distance. 

This is does not include the one on the terminal. 

Poor quality, suspect over priced. 

Best find a official retail outlet. 

10 hours ago, jamscckmc said:

So there is one in the terminals but it's not an official state store?

It sells gifts and a small selection of cigars. 

There was a report that the cigars were suspected to be fake. 

No idea how they would get away with that in the terminal, but Cuba is an odd place.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2018 at 10:50 AM, jamscckmc said:

Can any recent cigar purchasers confirm that they will take US credit cards in the government stores? At the top of the cigar list it states using a credit card will have just 3% exchange rate. Thanks!

You cannot use a US credit card in Cuba. You must exchange USD for CUC. To exchange USD it is 10% + 3% exchange fee. If you have CAN or Euro it is only 3% fee. We're going in Feb. and plan to have our local bank exchange USD for CAN or Euro whichever has the better exchange rate.

Just got back from Viking Cruise to Cuba. All stores and most street vendors took US$. We didn't get Euros and only exchanges a small amount of US to CUCs for tips etc. Many on our tours tipped in US$. We spent the most on cigars and rum in the official stores and they took our US cash and we had the choice of change in US or CUC. Those from Canada had a worse rate than US. I believe it was .77 to 1 CUC. I would not exchange exchange your money for Canadian $.

On 11/15/2018 at 8:37 PM, jamscckmc said:

Just got back from Viking Cruise to Cuba. All stores and most street vendors took US$. We didn't get Euros and only exchanges a small amount of US to CUCs for tips etc. Many on our tours tipped in US$. We spent the most on cigars and rum in the official stores and they took our US cash and we had the choice of change in US or CUC. Those from Canada had a worse rate than US. I believe it was .77 to 1 CUC. I would not exchange exchange your money for Canadian $.

This is completely contrary to everything else I’ve read! I read on multiple sites that if we convert our money here from US to Canadian we will save the 10% fee and that absolutely no one accepts US money. Frustrating and don’t know what to go by anymore. Thanks for posting your recent experience. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:11 PM, jamscckmc said:

I can tell you two weeks ago we bought all our cigars, rum and souvenirs with US $ and many were tipping with it also. Yes you save the 10% with Canadian $ but the US is $1 to 1CUC - 13% the Canadian $ was only worth .77/CUC - 3%.

and right now you get $1.32 Canadian for $1 USD