Flying home from Dubai

shuguley

My wife and I are considering a cruise that will end in Dubai. I was looking at flights out of DXB to the east coast of the US and it appears that most leave in the early morning hours (like 12:30AM).

We have an overnight in Dubai before disembarkation. Would it be best to consider leaving the ship after dinner on the first day or does Regent arrange something for passengers to do after departing the ship while waiting many hours for a flight home.

I would be most interested to learn the experiences of others who have flown out of DXB after a Regent cruise.

We overnighted in Dubai on Voyager with the same late flight so we opted to leave the ship and fly out on the evening before the morning we were scheduled to leave. Having a glass of champagne in the lounge, then an early dinner and a quick cab drive to the airport was a great option.

We overnighted in Dubai on Voyager with the same late flight so we opted to leave the ship and fly out on the evening before the morning we were scheduled to leave. Having a glass of champagne in the lounge, then an early dinner and a quick cab drive to the airport was a great option.

Truly this is the way to do it, unless your going to spend a few nights in Dubai. Part of a day touring doesn't make any sense. So +1

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. Did you have any problem getting a cab?

Since you don't post cities or dates, it's tough to give accurate information on flight possibilities.

However, Emirates has a flight from DXB to JFK that leaves at 8:30am, along with their 2:30am departure. Those are the two non-stops, with many connecting itineraries, including a BA departure at 10:05am.

If you want other cities or options, details always help.

We have taken the DXB flight at 0230 the A380 many times to JFK. Times may vary according to season. I am assuming you are flying Emirates and If flying first or business they have a fantastic lounge if you have to layover.

Note to TC2: Offer extended for additional research and assistance. Offer not accepted.

I noticed and it really nice of you to offer. It is particularly helpful on the Regent board to have someone that knows Regent as well as airlines/flights, etc. I try to help but know less than you do about the subject and others know flights but have no recent experience with Regent.

I noticed and it really nice of you to offer. It is particularly helpful on the Regent board to have someone that knows Regent as well as airlines/flights, etc. I try to help but know less than you do about the subject and others know flights but have no recent experience with Regent.

Was (happily!!) in Dubai for a week in mid April. Emirates also has a stop over flight to Milan, if you want another day or three before going on to JFK. And first and business at DXB has a very comfortable lounge. Enjoy!!

We will be disembarking in Dubai in March. Then three nights in Dubai.

We are flying home from Abu Dahbi airport to JFK on Etihad on a 10am flight. Non stop. We have reserved a private car from our hotel to the airport - $100. About one hour drive.

We are using AA Advantage points. Only 70,000 Miles per person, business class. Just in case anyone is looking for an alternative.

Sheila

No problem getting. Cab. I think I remember that there was a cab stand outside of the cruise terminal and the airport is nearby the port. We also informed Regent that we would be debarking early.

While I don't want to be a "downer" on this thread, it is important to know the rules for Dubai and they are different than most other countries. Here is a link http://www.thatdubaisite.com/info/dos-and-donts/

I would not recommend trying to carry any alcohol in your checked suitcases. We did and found that the bottles were broken from the time they left the ship and the time we picked them up outside of the ship. While it could be a coincidence, when we reached our hotel and opened our suitcase, the bottles were smashed!

Concur with TC2 - one should be very aware of the cultural and legal issues that may arise from being in the UAE (which includes Dubai and Abu Dhabi and others).

Also, recognize that Dubai is probably the most liberal of the Emirates, and what may be tolerated there would not be in other areas.

UAE laws on drugs may trip up many foreigners. What are considered over-the-counter products or "standard" prescriptions" in many countries are banned substances in the UAE, including antihistamines and cold medications.

Research, research and research. Forewarned is forearmed.

Having been to Dubai and have a friend living there, you can buy wine or liquor in the airport. They have great duty free shops. All western hotels have bars. Strict Muslim hotels prohibit the sale of alcohol.

As far as medication is concerned either prescribed or OTC it is best you have a letter from your doctor and all scripts must be in the original container.we have checked this out with their Embassy because I have a perscribed medication that is on the list. The odd thing is you can go to a pharmacy in Dubai and get medications in a pharmacy that require a script in the US. Dubai is serious about drug trafficking.

Dubai is a very friendly and safe city to visit. Dress conservative in public places and be polite to everyone being impolite could get you into trouble.

Anyway enjoy Dubai as much as we do as there is so much to see and do and you will be welcomed by locals. Most people speak English and other languages. Enjoy!

P.S. No holding hands in public or any signs of public affection. You won’t be arrested but you might have an officer remind you if it is overt. In a western hotel, no problem.

I know that there is alcohol available at the airport in Dubai. My comment was for anyone that has purchased alcohol during their cruise, packed it securely in their luggage and whose cruise ends in Dubai. We transport one or two bottles of alcohol all of the time and Dubai was the only place where the alcohol bottles were smashed. The only place it could have happened is between the ship and the place where we picked up the luggage in the cruise terminal. As mentioned, this could be a coincidence but somehow I doubt it.

This had to be Coincidental as we have carried wine into Dubai. As long as you are within the legal limit for customs it should not be a problem.

We were leaving Dubai rather than arriving there with wine. The two bottles (in different suitcases) were smashed somewhere between the ship and the hotel. The odds of this being a coincidence is pretty slim but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Also, while prepared for the possibility of having difficulty with prescription and/or over the counter medications, no one even asked or looked for them at the airport. I would recommend keeping prescription medications in their original containers rather than dispensing a small amount just for the cruise.

We have an upcoming Oceania cruise that ends in Dubai, and this is what we intend to do as well (disembark the night before the "official" disembarkation). Our flight leaves around midnight.