Informal Dining

PumaJack

Greetings,,

We are booked on the Coral Princess - Southbound from Anchorage.

What is the Dress Code for the Formal Dining nights? and the Non-Formal nights ? and what are my options if I want to eat dinner is Jeans and t-shirt ?

Thanks ,,,

I believe the dress code is clearly explained on the Princess website. Whether you can bend it to your taste may be up to the ship, even the sailing of that ship. If you have booked a cruise on Princess for the first time, it would be of great benefit to you to read everything on the Princess website. there are a host of questions repeatedly asked here that would be unnecessary if the website had been read. EM

but...the posts here give ACTUAL PASSENGER EXPERIENCES...which in my opinion is much more valuable than some website mumbo jumbo suggestions...

but, after reading the posts here, be very aware, that it is up to the McD on duty to set the dress code for that night..much less cruise...:cool:

On formal nights in the MDR my husband has worn a dress shirt and slacks without a jacket or tie on numerous occasions and we have not been turned away. I usually wear a nice skirt or dress.

Many formal nights we feel like being even more casual and eat either in the buffet, at the pool area (Trident Grill for hamburgers or the pizza area for pizza).

On smart casual nights when eating in the MDR you can wear nice jeans. No shorts are supposed to be worn in the MDR at dinner on any night except I believe the first night. In spite of the no shorts rule, I have seen passengers allowed in the MDR in the evening in shorts on smart casual nights.

Greetings,,

What is the Dress Code for the Formal Dining nights? and the Non-Formal nights ? and what are my options if I want to eat dinner is Jeans and t-shirt ?

Thanks ,,,

The bare minimum for formal nights is a pair of dockers and a button shirt with collar. Regular nights a pair of jeans and a shirt with collar will suffice. Beyond this it is up to the maitre'd and/or the crew member at the door to determine what is allowed and what is not. It has been my experience on AK cruises that the standard is relaxed since most in AK dress for the outdoors experiences.

I don't stand at the door to see everyone enter the three MDRs but I do people watch wherever I am. I have seen shorts, tshirts, flip flops and other clothing worn on casual night in the MDR as well as men wearing hats. Formal nights I have seen jeans, Hawaiian style shirts and even tshirts and sport coat worn. You roll the dice and take your chances. I did file a complaint one time at the PSD about what women wore on formal night and was told by a MDR supervisor that women can wear anything and claim it is formal.

Are there any 'women' McD's on Princess ships ? - what is the 'highest' position you have seen a woman in the mdr setting?:confused:

I have seen women in many high positions. From Entertainment Director (ED is different than CD), cruise Director to head of passenger services and dining room maitre d’ and Head Waiter among several other positions.

I’ve never seen Ronald McDonald though. He was fired for clowning around. (Sorry couldn’t resist).

Greetings,,

Thanks ,,,

Buffet, grill, International Cafe, room service and probably Bayou Cafe and Sabatini's.You may be able to enter the DR, depends.

If you bring none jeans and shirt with collar pretty good chance you will be allowed in the DR.

OK - I will jump in since I was on the Coral Princess Southbound Alaska June 27th - July 4th, 2018, and comment on formal nights.

I enjoy the MDR experience and didn't want to miss it. We had traditional early seating. My husband wore a dress shirt and tie, dress pants the first formal night, I wore a dress I would wear to a day wedding. On the second formal night he wore a button down dress shirt and dress pants, no tie. No jacket either night. I wore a navy blouse and skirt the second night. We were at a table of four with our friends.

I don't believe we were offensive to anyone, and fit right in. I am the type in these threads to tell you to chill, and most people don't dress up that much anymore. However, I must admit in all honesty that more people were dressed up than I expected. I am not saying more fancy dress/tuxes, but just the actual number of people who went a bit more formal than weekend wear surprised me a bit.

EDIT to comment that the buffet on the Coral was better than expected. I usually avoid the buffet, but was pleasantly surprised at breakfast and lunch. When we walked through later in the evening to grab some cookies, the dinner offerings looked good too.

Edited by ColoradoMom!!

Jeans and a T shirt have worked for me for casual nights on every Princess ship we've sailed on in the past 15 years.

A collar is not necessary.

Just curious, do you only sail Caribbean itineraries?

One more question, what is the significance of "S 645/72/826/90"? ;):D

Yes, I was just thinking about formal nights.

Yea.

I don't think they'd allow someone in the DR without a collar.

It's only lately in the past two years that they now accept Polo's & short sleeve shirts on formal nights.

Just curious, do you only sail Caribbean itineraries?

One more question, what is the significance of "S 645/72/826/90"? ;):D

Mostly Caribbean/ Panama canal. Our last Alaskan trip and Hawaiian cruises were around 10 years ago.

Combination to our safe... :D:D

OK, I'll dumb it down a little....

On which Princess ship, is there currently, a female M'D ?:confused:

If your thoughts are going where I suspect they are, and didn't catch Thrak's point,

Ms Swartz is Princess' President and has been since 2013.