At the GRAND DUTCH CAFE on the Koningsdam...

canadarocks

Wonderful, thanks! As someone who has never tried Dutch food, does anyone have any recommendations on the best foods to try at the Grand Dutch Cafe?
They have just snacks. The best known probably are the poffertjes (small, fluffy pancakes) and the bitterballen (meatballs).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poffertjes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitterballen

You can definitely eat at the Dutch Caf? without ordering a beverage even though their coffees are great and reasonable in regard to pricing. Ice water is free of charge, of course and can be ordered as well.

We loved the Dutch Caf?! Our favorites were the Poffertjes ( small pancakes ) as well as the bigger pancakes with bacon and apples ( strange selection but tastes surprisingly good), the pea soup ( excellent) and the wonderful cookies they had in the afternoons. A lot of people had breakfast there with real Dutch cheese and some typically sweet Dutch breakfast items. If you like fish: try the Matjes herrings - eaten raw (shudder) - It's a bit like Marmite I'm afraid - an acquired taste in my opinion! The fries are also good - so you'll have lots of choices - there's more on the menu!

There are some cookies and liquorice that are sold in special packages and cost money.

Enjoy!

Edited by grayjay
typo

Don't forget the Koningsbol. A chocolate covered cream puff.

There are other items available like a Dutch version of ham & eggs. We enjoyed stopping by the caf? for a quick bite or snack.

They have just snacks. The best known probably are the poffertjes (small, fluffy pancakes) and the bitterballen (meatballs).

Those both look wonderful! Thanks for the information. I will definitely be trying both! :D

The Koningsbol sound good, too!

All this talk about yummy snacks has made me hungry, only there's no Grand Dutch Cafe here in my house! ;p

• Like 1

"Koningsbol" is made up. I guess not many guests would order them if they kept the original name, Bossche Bol. :D

Thanks for enlightening me. When I asked the server what is was she called it a cream puff.

No, they also have what I would consider a meal: I had an Uitsmijter (and sandwich with ham, cheese and egg, a Broodje Kroket (a veal croquette on a bread roll) and both came with salads. Perfect for lunch.

No, they also have what I would consider a meal: I had an Uitsmijter (and sandwich with ham, cheese and egg, a Broodje Kroket (a veal croquette on a bread roll) and both came with salads. Perfect for lunch.
Somehow I had gotten the impression the sandwiches were just little tea/finger/snack things. Sorry!

Can anyone tell me the hours of operation for the Grand Dutch Cafe?
For us it was open 8:00 am until 10:00 pm, but the entire menu was not available the entire time. We tried to order the poffertjes and were told they weren't be available until later in the day.

Somehow I had gotten the impression the sandwiches were just little tea/finger/snack things. Sorry!

Oh no, it was a good sized meal! I though I had pictures but can't find any. Maybe DH has some on his iphone.

For us it was open 8:00 am until 10:00 pm, but the entire menu was not available the entire time. We tried to order the poffertjes and were told they weren't be available until later in the day.

I think it opened at 7 AM on our cruise - but not everything might not have been available that early; I know I missed out on bitterballen because I was never ready to eat when they started to serve it - or I was doing something somewhere else. Some things were only available after 4 PM.

I picked our cabin so that it would be close to our cabin as I anticipated that I would like it. Breakfast 1 often consisted of coffee and snacks from the Grand Dutch Cafe. :)

What type of containers do they use for hot beverages in the Dutch Caf?? Ceramic, glass, plastic? How large? I dislike the itty bitty mugs and cups used elsewhere on most HAL ships (and spare me a cardboard container, yuck); by the time one sits and gets comfortable, it is time for a refill.

What type of containers do they use for hot beverages in the Dutch Caf?? Ceramic, glass, plastic? How large? I dislike the itty bitty mugs and cups used elsewhere on most HAL ships (and spare me a cardboard container, yuck); by the time one sits and gets comfortable, it is time for a refill.

You will not see Ventis or Trentas there.

If you drink it there it comes is a regular sized cup; to go it is in a paper cup.

Let's say it's made up more than once :) On Kings Day (April 27), all kinds of pastry get some orange filling/frosting to celebrate (as our King is from the House of Orange), and they call them Koning-something. If it looks like these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bossche_bol then it's not a Koningsbol except on the ocean.

• 1 year later...
You can definitely eat at the Dutch Caf? without ordering a beverage even though their coffees are great and reasonable in regard to pricing. Ice water is free of charge, of course and can be ordered as well.

We loved the Dutch Caf?! Our favorites were the Poffertjes ( small pancakes ) as well as the bigger pancakes with bacon and apples ( strange selection but tastes surprisingly good), the pea soup ( excellent) and the wonderful cookies they had in the afternoons. A lot of people had breakfast there with real Dutch cheese and some typically sweet Dutch breakfast items. If you like fish: try the Matjes herrings - eaten raw (shudder) - It's a bit like Marmite I'm afraid - an acquired taste in my opinion! The fries are also good - so you'll have lots of choices - there's more on the menu!

There are some cookies and liquorice that are sold in special packages and cost money.

Enjoy!

The herring are the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums