Will we like the Koningsdam?

ASIWISH

It’s been a while since we’ve cruised, and we’re debating the 11-Day Southern Caribbean Seafarer.

I noticed that HAL changed the Promenade Deck... and we loved to walk it. Is the entire view blocked by lifeboats now?

Yes, you can still walk all the way around on the ship, although it gets a little skinny in places (darn those people who don't walk in a counter-clockwise direction!). Lifeboats do block some views, but there is still plenty of fresh ocean air to enjoy. Some big changes from previous HAL ships - the MDR looks a lot like Solstice. There is a large screen for movies by the central pool with two decks of cozy seating and a New York style pizza place on the upper deck. The venue for B.B.King blues band is now two decks high (a favorite of ours). The main theater is much more high tech with screens surrounding the seating area - don't miss the the BBC Earth performances with the live orchestra. There is much more to experience and we had a great cruise. We wish you the same!

Yes, you can still walk all the way around on the ship, although it gets a little skinny in places (darn those people who don't walk in a counter-clockwise direction!).

I hate that too! Next time I am bringing football gear and will give a lead block for my wife so she can continue on. :evilsmile:

Have you watched the walk-around video?

I like new ships and liked many of the new features of the K (Grand Dutch Cafe, Sel de Mer, main theater) but it was too non-traditional HAL for my taste. Besides the poor excuse for a promenade, there is no brass and few rich woods, lots of white/gray/black/chrome, only two Capt Card paintings hidden in a corner of the Crow's Nest, lots of weird modern art, only one antique piece that I noticed, etc. The Nieuw Amsterdam is still my favorite ship. :)

Not our favourite HAL ship, but I'd book the 11-Day Southern Caribbean Seafarer without hesitation as it has a good itinerary. Not many cruises offer Dominica and Martinique, and we enjoy all of the other ports too, although Sint Maarten is still very much in recovery mode.

A

It’s been a while since we’ve cruised, and we’re debating the 11-Day Southern Caribbean Seafarer.

I noticed that HAL changed the Promenade Deck... and we loved to walk it. Is the entire view blocked by lifeboats now?

All I can say is we liked it and are visiting KDam in March 19 for the Caribbean once again

Obviously personal preferences. We enjoyed our Feb. 2018 Caribbean trip for itinerary, staff, music variety, food - especially Tamarind and walked the promenade noting some views and seating, although definitely skinny in places! Happy enough to now book the 11day trip Feb 2019.

Obviously personal preferences. We enjoyed our Feb. 2018 Caribbean trip for itinerary, staff, music variety, food - especially Tamarind and walked the promenade noting some views and seating, although definitely skinny in places! Happy enough to now book the 11day trip Feb 2019.

Welcome Back,

How nice to see you post and read you are cruising again. I have not yet sailed K dam so cannot help with any info re: that ship

You've been missed

Welcome back, Kevin! So nice to see you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We sailed K'dam last Christmas. While the Promenade Deck was disappointing (we only walked it twice as opposed to everyday), we did like and enjoy the other areas of the ship. I did not expect to like this ship as we're so traditional HAL (love the smaller ships best), but I did enjoy the experience, especially the Music Walk area. We appreciated the schedule where two types of entertainment are not competing, so the audience can truly enjoy the performances without "noise bleed" from other venues.

The main pool area, however, can get very noisy and crowded with children during the day (during the Christmas cruise), so we never sat for very long here. If you're cruising when kids are in school, you will probably have a very different experience. Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the ship.

Welcome back, Kevin! So nice to see you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheila: I went right to my Friend List to see if you were still active! I loved talking with you and Sail!!! Glad to be back!

Welcome Back,

How nice to see you post and read you are cruising again. I have not yet sailed K dam so cannot help with any info re: that ship

You've been missed

Smiling ear to ear... I love hearing from you!

Thanks, All!!! If people here are returning, that must mean its enjoyable. Part of mine wants to just stay on the Nieuw Amsterdam forever, but I think we should branch out!
I agree you should try it once and form your own opinions! Maybe NA will be become your second choice. :)

I remember thinking Euro dam, when she first joined the fleet , would not be to my liking but I was w rong I a m happy we sailed her a n umber of cruises as I learned I reall y like that ship . :)

I loved the Kdam for many of the reasons already listed. Breakfast at the Deli on Deck 10 was a favorite. In the cabin, I loved the strong water pressure in the shower, the large glass enclosed shower, as well as the air condition in the cabin. It is the first cruise ship cabin I have ever been in that I was able to get so cold that I had to turn the thermostat higher than the lowest setting to be comfortable. I also loved all the electrical and usb ports around the cabin.

I remember thinking Euro dam, when she first joined the fleet , would not be to my liking but I was w rong I a m happy we sailed her a n umber of cruises as I learned I reall y like that ship . :)

On my first cruise 10 years ago the Eurodam was berthed right behind the ship I was on. I thought she looked so elegant with the white and what I learned later was a deep blue (I thought it was black). I sailed on her a few years later and she still was just as I had imagined. Elegant!

I only had one big complaint - it seemed as if they turned up the background music to compensate for the double deck venues. [sitting around the Lido pool - it was very intrusive.] But the New York Deli and the large showers were winners.

If I needed to trans-Atlantic and she [or one of her like-sized sisters] were going at the time I needed, I wouldn't hesitate to book her again. On a sailing, that numerous other Dam ships were doing - probably not.

I would like to know more about breakfast and other offerings at the Deli on deck 10 !

We have enjoyed the International Cafe on Princess.

We also do the MDR for breakfast quite often, but other options are always welcome!

My favorite breakfast there was the lox, bagel and cream cheese with lettuce and tomato and onion, but another favorite was the bagel breakfast which was a bagel sandwich with ham, cheese and a fried egg. There was juice and yogurt and maybe some sliced fruit. The lunch menu was more extensive with Deli type sandwiches. The pizza was good with lots of types and a build your own as well.