Can anyone recommend a San Juan hotel still taking reservations in November?

Schplinky

So far, I've lost reservations at the Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites, Marriott Stellaris, and Renaissance Cocha due to FEMA charters of the hotels. The latter two hotels haven't contacted me directly yet but I am reading online of folks staying sooner than we who are getting calls, saying those hotels will now be closed through December. I know of several other hotels that FEMA has also chartered, mostly Hilton affiliates. I have one back-up reservation left but would feel more comfortable with two, based on recent experience. Flying in on the day of the cruise is not an option for us. Given that RCL and X will have two ships home porting in SJU when we're there, I imagine the sooner we find some hotel that will actually be open, the better.

It's all very confusing because from the La Cocha FB page, it appears people are able to reserve but from the rate calendar on the web-site and folks stories on CC, they are not honoring previously made reservations.

I have had two hotels cancel as well the Hyatt house as well as we just found out today that the Intercontinental is also canceling reservations until December 1. So great we have two days after our cruise that we need a hotel and we have no hotel they should cancel our cruise but they haven’t .

Casablanca Hotel in OSJ is open for business. Other posters have reported that they have successfully checked in to the Comfort Inn in Condado.

Also, try booking.com to check for availability and then call or email the hotels directly. Some of the smaller, boutique hotels use that site.

So great we have two days after our cruise that we need a hotel and we have no hotel they should cancel our cruise but they haven’t .

Are you saying that since you are unable to find a hotel after your cruise is over, they should cancel the cruise? Or are there other reasons, unrelated to the lack of hotels, that the cruise should be cancelled?

Casablanca Hotel in OSJ is open for business. Other posters have reported that they have successfully checked in to the Comfort Inn in Condado.

Also, try booking.com to check for availability and then call or email the hotels directly. Some of the smaller, boutique hotels use that site.

I was just about to recommend Casablanca. Here's their website: https://hotelcasablancapr.com/

They're suggesting you call directly to book.

Are you saying that since you are unable to find a hotel after your cruise is over, they should cancel the cruise? Or are there other reasons, unrelated to the lack of hotels, that the cruise should be cancelled?

Let’s see the cruise is ending San Juan from Boston on November 12 and I’ve already had 2 hotel cancellations and the third one can’t guarantee anything till the end of the month. Everyone scrambling to change their flights because of the lack of hotels. San Juan or Puerto Rico in general has very little electricity and drinkable water. So yes the cruise should’ve been canceled. Just got off the phone with the airline and they were absolutely no flights to change to on November 12 for JetBlue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are 2 that I know are taking reservations - Olive Boutique Hotel and Dreams Hotel. Good luck!

It’s not making the reservations that’s the problem it’s them actually being open when needed. I’ve already gotten two reservations and then they cancel after saying there are going to be open.

It’s not making the reservations that’s the problem it’s them actually being open when needed. I’ve already gotten two reservations and then they cancel after saying there are going to be open.

Part of it is the unreliability of the utilities down there. While San Juan is mostly up and running with electricity and running water, there have been short failures. The power may go out for an hour or two as they work on the grid. (I get this from some people I know who live down there and are back to work.)

The hope is that by the end of the year the majority of the island is nearly back to normal with no more issues with the power grid, etc.

Part of it is the unreliability of the utilities down there. While San Juan is mostly up and running with electricity and running water, there have been short failures. The power may go out for an hour or two as they work on the grid. (I get this from some people I know who live down there and are back to work.)

The hope is that by the end of the year the majority of the island is nearly back to normal with no more issues with the power grid, etc.

Another aspect of this is that FEMA has booked out some chain hotels (most of the hilton brands, Hyatts, etc.) to house workers and those displaced by the storm. Because their work is done on a moving target, there is ongoing uncertainty. In my opinion, they need to charter a ship and park it in the harbor for the workers. This is what they did for St. Croix with Carnival Fascination. Since PR's economy depends on tourism to a great degree, the impossibility of tourists finding a place to stay is problematic and, in turn, makes it hard for them to visit stores, restaurants and, yes, cruise ships.

Another aspect of this is that FEMA has booked out some chain hotels (most of the hilton brands, Hyatts, etc.) to house workers and those displaced by the storm. Because their work is done on a moving target, there is ongoing uncertainty. In my opinion, they need to charter a ship and park it in the harbor for the workers. This is what they did for St. Croix with Carnival Fascination. Since PR's economy depends on tourism to a great degree, the impossibility of tourists finding a place to stay is problematic and, in turn, makes it hard for them to visit stores, restaurants and, yes, cruise ships.

Correct. That is why Norwegian should’ve made other plans And sent us to Florida instead of San Juan for the repo from Boston. We are originating in Boston but we end in San Juan so just dump us there? Only a small portion of the island has electricity and the rest is running on generators, only part of the island has drinkable water and many places still need to be rebuilt. So yes dump 2000+ people there. Not everyone can fly out the same day or had plans to before the hurricanes. Now everyone scrambled to change their flights and so the flights are booked up. Where do I stay for 2 1/2 days? What about everyone else?

I was just about to recommend Casablanca. Here's their website: https://hotelcasablancapr.com/

They're suggesting you call directly to book.

Thank you but I just took a look online and it’s not my kind of place. I’m not going to just settle I’ll just rather spend time sitting in the airport then waste money at a place that I’m not going to like. Thank you for the suggestion!

Let’s see the cruise is ending San Juan from Boston on November 12 and I’ve already had 2 hotel cancellations and the third one can’t guarantee anything till the end of the month. Everyone scrambling to change their flights because of the lack of hotels. San Juan or Puerto Rico in general has very little electricity and drinkable water. So yes the cruise should’ve been canceled. Just got off the phone with the airline and they were absolutely no flights to change to on November 12 for JetBlue.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but wouldn't cancelling the cruise be very unfair to those who were able to get flights or hotels or to those who did not need them? Seems a bit selfish to cancel an entire cruise for a small percentage of passengers who are unable to find a hotel post cruise and are unwilling to settle. That is akin to saying they should close Disneyland because LAX is closed and I won't be able to fly home when my vacation is over.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but wouldn't cancelling the cruise be very unfair to those who were able to get flights or hotels or to those who did not need them? Seems a bit selfish to cancel an entire cruise for a small percentage of passengers who are unable to find a hotel post cruise and are unwilling to settle. That is akin to saying they should close Disneyland because LAX is closed and I won't be able to fly home when my vacation is over.

Not everyone leaves for home the day a cruise disembarks. Puerto Rico is lacking electricity and water and things to do outside of certain areas. They needed to evaluate for all their customers not just some.

Can you please tell us if you heard from the Intercontinental directly regarding a cancellation? We are booked there for Sunday Nov 26 after a cruise on NCL Dawn and we spoke to them directly to book and confirm and they assured they will be open...

Can you please tell us if you heard from the Intercontinental directly regarding a cancellation? We are booked there for Sunday Nov 26 after a cruise on NCL Dawn and we spoke to them directly to book and confirm and they assured they will be open...

Yes I got a phone call from them today after they re-confirmed with me 2 days ago that they were going to be open. Today they called and canceled. But my reservation was from November 12 to November 14. They do not know when they’re going to reopen supposedly. I would call them for your date but don’t be surprised that they’re going to be closed.

thanks we are going to call them back tonight to see what the deal is. My wife just called Holiday Inn Express Condado and while they say available online when you call they say they are not currently accepting reservations. Checked Comfort Suites and says sold out - this is ridiculous!!!

thanks we are going to call them back tonight to see what the deal is. My wife just called Holiday Inn Express Condado and while they say available online when you call they say they are not currently accepting reservations. Checked Comfort Suites and says sold out - this is ridiculous!!!

I know I’ve been stressing all day I just don’t know what to do. We leave two weeks from Friday. I haven’t started packing I have so much stuff to do at my house and all I’m doing now is making phone calls and researching. I did take a small break and made some muffins to use up some bananas and I’ve already eaten four of them! Now I’m going to need to go shopping to get more clothes UGh

Not everyone leaves for home the day a cruise disembarks. Puerto Rico is lacking electricity and water and things to do outside of certain areas. They needed to evaluate for all their customers not just some.

EXACTLY. So why anyone would advocate for them to cancel an entire cruise because some passengers are going to stay for a few more days after disembarkation is beyond me. It is even more confusing when the supposed reasons to cancel have nothing to do with the ability of the cruise line to deliver the promised cruise and is outside of anything they can help to resolve. Cancelling a cruise and impacting the majority of the passengers who are not going to remain in the port would be grossly unfair.

EXACTLY. So why anyone would advocate for them to cancel an entire cruise because some passengers are going to stay for a few more days after disembarkation is beyond me. It is even more confusing when the supposed reasons to cancel have nothing to do with the ability of the cruise line to deliver the promised cruise and is outside of anything they can help to resolve. Cancelling a cruise and impacting the majority of the passengers who are not going to remain in the port would be grossly unfair.

OK your opinion.. A cruiselines needs to evaluate the whole picture. So what are people supposed to do? If there are no hotels and people‘s flights are days later where are they supposed to stay?

Veggie,

I am on your sailing and had the same thing happen to me. Switch your flight to Nov 12th and fly to Florida for a couple of days. It is alot easier to fly home from Florida and you can enjoy a few nights post cruise. We are flying to Fort Lauderdale. We are staying for three nights in a hilton property on the water and then flying home to Chicago. Cost us less than our Hilton in Puerto Rico and the trees in FL will have leaves on them and we will have clean water and electricity!

For Karma's sake, let's just hope your flight is not cancelled because there is no wiggle room in PR right now, it seems.