Taxis in Fuerte Amador

judyjudy56

We will be on a cruise in January with a one day stop at Fuerte Amador. I lived in the Canal Zone back in the 60's as a kid. Does anyone know if there are taxis available at the port? I would really like a taxi to take us to the base I lived on which is actually part of Fuerte Amador. I would also like to see my old school in Diablo Heights and the area known as Balboa when I lived there. I realize the school is no longer a school but understand the building is still there. I am also wondering if it would be safe to hire a taxi to do this for us.

So did you live in the 15th ND? I feel sure that taxis at the port won't be an issue. Which Diablo school are you referring to? There was the newer 1 story school (newer... really don't remember when it was built??) up by the the Diablo Clubhouse or the old multi story wooden building down by the tennis courts, which was where I attended. Anyway they were both there when I was last there in 2014.

Although I lot has changed in Balboa and Diablo for that matter, I'm sure you will recognize a great deal as many things have not really changed that much. The only way to get to Diablo is to go through Balboa and take the old Gaillard Highway which runs parallel along the old Albrook Air Force Base. Now that area has really changed! As in a commercial airport, large bus terminal and the Albrook Mall.

While the former Balboa High School is not longer a high school it is part of Panama's maritime college. The main building was open to the public as well as the library on the second floor. I walked in there and all of a sudden I felt the need to be quiet and pretend to start studying!! Also on the second floor was a real nice display of old Canal Zone memorabilia. That was really nice and quite unexpected as often times the Canal Zone era is not one that Panama cherishes. or portray is a favorable light.

Nothing inherently unsafe about engaging a cab... just make sure your cabby is proficient in English for your needs and agree on a price before you take off.

You will really like the ride down the causeway... great view of the city and some neat places to grab a bite, they really have spiffed it up a lot.

Yes I lived at 15ND. We were there from 66 to 68. My elementary school was Diablo Heights. My brother went 1 year to Curundu. I know the house we lived in is gone but the other 2 on our little street are still there. My Dad worked in the Administration building. I'm sure a lot has changed but I would love to see what is left. I have heard that the causeway is completely different. Did you live in the Canal Zone? Thanks for the info on the taxi.

Yes, I was a Zonie... while a lot has changed there is still plenty that you will recognize. The causeway is real nice, although it can be a bit congested from where the Ft. Amador Beach pavillion is/was and all the way out to Flamenco Island... lots to see!