Scooter Rental or Trolley?

Banana15

This is our first time in Key West. We would like to be able to see as much of it as possible. We would like to be able to stop at a restaurant, a beach, and all of the “touristy” places. I’m inclined to rent a scooter so that we can go at our own pace and on our own schedule, but my concern is that there will not be a place to park it. I also don’t want to leave it to a risk of getting stolen, and having to worry about that. Has anyone that has rented a scooter give me some feedback? Was it worth it? If you had to do it again would you go with the scooter or would you do a trolley?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've never used a scooter in Key West preferring to walk everywhere, but If you were to us the Cityview Trolley ---> http://www.cityviewtrolleys.com/keywest/index.html

...stop #4 will put you at Higgs Beach where you will find your (doh!) beach and a restaurant, Salute. And for touristy places, stop #6 gives you the lighthouse, the Bahama village (check out the Blue Macaw) Blue Heaven restaurant, Bessame Mucho, and Hemingway's house.

Pjk

Don't use a scooter in Key West unless you're very experienced. They are dangerous and Old Town can be very congested. For a first time visitor, you might be fine walking everywhere if you skip the beach. Our beaches are not very good here anyway. Unless you want to see residential areas and typical shopping malls, most things to see are in Old Town are in about a square mile area.

Don't use a scooter in Key West unless you're very experienced. They are dangerous and Old Town can be very congested. For a first time visitor, you might be fine walking everywhere if you skip the beach. Our beaches are not very good here anyway. Unless you want to see residential areas and typical shopping malls, most things to see are in Old Town are in about a square mile area.

I don't really care to see the residential area....and I'm sure my husband would prefer NOT being near the mall. Haha.

Is the Fort Zachary Taylor beach good? If so, is it close enough to walk? TBH, I don't think we plan on swimming, so I guess we don't need to see the beach. NTM we'll be there after spending 5 days at different beaches.

I don't really care to see the residential area....and I'm sure my husband would prefer NOT being near the mall. Haha.

Is the Fort Zachary Taylor beach good? If so, is it close enough to walk? TBH, I don't think we plan on swimming, so I guess we don't need to see the beach. NTM we'll be there after spending 5 days at different beaches.

Being from North Carolina you certainly do not want to waste time going to the beach in Key West as you will be sorely disappointed.

Mike:)

I don't know when you're planning to visit, but Fort Zachary will likely be closed for a few weeks. There is a lot of cleanup needed from the hurricane. As mentioned before, the beach there is nothing special. Mostly rock and coral with a few sandy patches. It's a pretty setting, but we will have to see how much of that setting is left after the hurricane.

I don't know when you're planning to visit, but Fort Zachary will likely be closed for a few weeks.

We are actually not going until May.

I'm glad all of you have let me know that the beaches are not good. I can adjust a lot of plans since we don't have to worry about even going to see it.

We are actually not going until May.

I'm glad all of you have let me know that the beaches are not good. I can adjust a lot of plans since we don't have to worry about even going to see it.

Don't waste your time as the beaches in the keys are all man made and nothing special to say the least.

Mike:)

You can, however, take glass-bottom boat rides and other excursions on the water around Key West. And the Hemingway House and Truman Little White House are well worth seeing. It's not all shopping and drinking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...

We rented scooters our first time there and it was a lot of fun. We had a group of 8 and rented 3 scooters. Trying to find parking for all three near each other became difficult as it got more crowded later in the day but parking for one scooter would probably be fine.

My wife and I really like Zachary Taylor park. Sure it's no Ft Lauderdale Beach or Seven Mile Beach - the sand and coral rubble closer to the water is coarse - but it's nice and rustic and the fort is a nice stroll as well. Whenever we go, we always rent bikes. In my opinion it's the best way to get around if you plan to cover more than a couple miles in a day.

My wife and I really like Zachary Taylor park. Sure it's no Ft Lauderdale Beach or Seven Mile Beach - the sand and coral rubble closer to the water is coarse - but it's nice and rustic and the fort is a nice stroll as well. Whenever we go, we always rent bikes. In my opinion it's the best way to get around if you plan to cover more than a couple miles in a day.

Just FYI, as mentioned before, the park was damaged during hurricane Irma and will take some time to recover. It's not worth the trip right now in my opinion, especially for a visitor who is only here for a short time. There is also a new free circulator bus called the Duval Loop which you can view here: https://www.carfreekeywest.com/duval-loop-bus

It really eliminates the need for a scooter, electric car or bike unless you really want to ride one.

Just FYI, as mentioned before, the park was damaged during hurricane Irma and will take some time to recover. It's not worth the trip right now in my opinion, especially for a visitor who is only here for a short time. There is also a new free circulator bus called the Duval Loop which you can view here: https://www.carfreekeywest.com/duval-loop-bus

It really eliminates the need for a scooter, electric car or bike unless you really want to ride one.

The park seemed fine when I was there last Sunday. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as the only thing to do on a short stop to KW, but's it's not as "awful" as it seems to be made out by some of the responses here.

May 13th.

Ok, you'll overlap me a bit (I'll be there 8-18). Something to be aware of is the Songwriters Festival which runs through the 13th, so part of Duval near Greene will still be shut down when you get there. But, you will be able to enjoy some good music around the city that day (check http://www.keywestsongwritersfestival.com for schedule).

As far as scooters, I love having a scooter to get around. I see a number of "doom and gloom" posts here regarding scooters, but if you use common sense and exercise some caution you should have no problem. And I have never had any trouble finding scooter parking near anywhere I am heading. The free shuttle bus that has been mentioned is a good option if it is running when you need it. It only runs 7 days a week between Christmas and Easter, and only Thu-Sun the rest of the year (which would include your trip).

Ok, you'll overlap me a bit (I'll be there 8-18). Something to be aware of is the Songwriters Festival which runs through the 13th, so part of Duval near Greene will still be shut down when you get there. But, you will be able to enjoy some good music around the city that day (check http://www.keywestsongwritersfestival.com for schedule).

As far as scooters, I love having a scooter to get around. I see a number of "doom and gloom" posts here regarding scooters, but if you use common sense and exercise some caution you should have no problem. And I have never had any trouble finding scooter parking near anywhere I am heading. The free shuttle bus that has been mentioned is a good option if it is running when you need it. It only runs 7 days a week between Christmas and Easter, and only Thu-Sun the rest of the year (which would include your trip).

Wow! I NEVER would have known about the festival. Thanks for the heads up. I was considering heading to Kermit's, but I believe that is right there, so I may have to find an alternative.

We are actually motorcycle people, so mopeds definitely don't intimidate us. I am more concerned about having to park it every time we stop. I know a lot of people say to just walk everywhere, but I'd rather have a break from walking, so the trolley may be our best bet. However, do you think the trolley will be jam packed with the festival happening or will most people stick to that area?

There is a free bus you can use to get around the tourist area if you get tired of walking. https://www.carfreekeywest.com/duval-loop-bus

While some may think it's "gloom and doom" to warn tourists about scooters, there are serious injuries here every week. There was a death less than a month ago. Helmets are not required here and no one wears one. It is rarely the scooter driver's fault. Rent one if you want, but be very careful and be sure your health insurance is up to date.

Wow! I NEVER would have known about the festival. Thanks for the heads up. I was considering heading to Kermit's, but I believe that is right there, so I may have to find an alternative.

Kermits Key Lime Pie shop? I don't think you will have much of an issue getting to one of them (there are two locations). And I only knew about Songwriters because someone I work with frequents Key West several times a year and warned me. Unfortunately I didn't check the dates when I requested my time off and fell into that week without realizing it.

We are actually motorcycle people, so mopeds definitely don't intimidate us. I am more concerned about having to park it every time we stop. I know a lot of people say to just walk everywhere, but I'd rather have a break from walking, so the trolley may be our best bet. However, do you think the trolley will be jam packed with the festival happening or will most people stick to that area?

Can't speak for the impact of the festival on the trolley since I have not been there during that time. If you want to use the free Duval Loop shuttle you might want to go to that website on your phone and bookmark the Live Bus Map page. It will show you the current locations of the bus(s), as well as how full they are at the moment. https://www.kwtransit.com/

While some may think it's "gloom and doom" to warn tourists about scooters, there are serious injuries here every week. There was a death less than a month ago. Helmets are not required here and no one wears one. It is rarely the scooter driver's fault. Rent one if you want, but be very careful and be sure your health insurance is up to date.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know there are issues. I once read (and believe) that there are two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those who have crashed and those that are going to. Same is true of scooters. But some posts I've seen on this site make it seem like Key West itself is an especially bad place for scooters. While it can be crowded its really no worse than anywhere else. Just like riding motorcycles you have use extra caution for the drivers who aren't watching for you (and there are a lot of them). And I have no doubt that a good percentage of the scooter riders, and other drivers, in KW are a bit impaired from visits to Sloppy Joes etc. I would also recommend staying off Duval (use another parallel street) due to the high pedestrian traffic that may cross in front of you at any time.