Mariner Crew

Lsb58

Does anyone know what the turnover schedule is for the Mariner crew? I'd be interested in knowing how long the various crew members (servers, housekeepers, bartenders etc) have been on the ship prior to any given cruise.

There isn't a specific turnover schedule on the Mariner (or any other ship). Officers and crew board and disembark in most ports. I believe that Michael Coghlan disembarked in San Francisco yesterday and may be replaced by Andreas (fingers crossed) who should be on through the beginning of December. Paul Reynolds will be leaving but am not sure when. He is replacing Lorraine while she is on vacation. Whoever the F&B Director is I believe will not be leaving until right before we board in Miami in mid-November and will be replaced by Donald. Captain Teo will also be leaving soon - not sure who his replacement will be (rumor has it that it will be Captain Serena).

The answer to your questions isn't exactly easy. Captain's are two months on and two months off of the ship. G.M.'s are 4 months on - 2 months off but that changes dramatically. Obviously someone has to fill in during the 2 months so G.M.'s seem to change around more than other positions. I believe that C.D.'s also have 4 months on - 2 months off contracts (which means that there could be 2 month fill-ins).

Many crew members we met on board will be going on vacation between now and when we board in November but many will still be onboard (sadly, Risky will be on vacation - I believe she leaves sometime in October). I would say that the average contract for crew members is 6-8 months. Sometimes they are asked to stay longer.

Keeping track of officers and crew is almost impossible. The best way to learn is to speak with them while on the ship (or ask someone that is on to see if they can find out about a particular individual).

Thank you TC! I had a feeling you would have some info! Whenever I read posts about crew members who seem "tired" or "uninterested" I always wonder if they are at the beginning of their contract and still getting up to speed, or at the end and suffering burn out. I also know each passenger has their own criteria for good service which may or may not be reasonable. Although I've only been on the Mariner twice (Alaska, French Polynesia) and didn't really get to know any of the crew, I've had no complaints. I will take your advice on my next cruise and be more inquiring.

Lsb58 - I rarely find a crew member tired or disinterested but it does happen (and did happen with the bar staff on our just completed Mariner voyage). It is also a good idea to find a server that you really like and sit in their sections of Compass Rose. While servers in all areas of CR are good, getting to one one server (and their assistant) gives them the chance to be proactive - suggesting items that they know that you like for instance. Sitting in the same area also helped our sommelier anticipate our needs and having our preferred wine ready for us.

Wes - Paul Reynolds and Michael Coghlan switch between Mariner and Navigator. When we are onboard in November, remember me to ask who will be onboard when you will be cruising (although you will likely get the answers before we get onboard). I know that Risky will be switching to the Voyager with her husband after her vacation. It seems that many crew members prefer the Voyager because it is the ship that visits Asia and it gives them a chance to visit their hometowns.

P.S. Just thought about Donald - F&B Director extraordinaire. Since he isn't scheduled to board Mariner until November, he will likely still be there for your cruise.

Jackie, learned today that the following key Mariner leaders will begin serving per dates below. The other key crew leaders of the Mariner staff for later this year have not been "fully set" yet. (i.e., HD/CD). Tho did learn that Rose Mary will be Chief Housekeeper from early Jan thru May 2018.

Master: Captain Teo from 12/12/17 thru 2/25/18

F&B Director Donald 12/7/17 thru 3/20/18

Restaurant Mgr Alin 9/27/17 thru 2/25/18

I will on the Mariner in that timeframe - why is one F&B better than another? What is Donald going to do that makes people pleased, besides that you may already know him.

This is an easy answer and what I post also applies to Daniella.

Donald can be see on the pool deck frequently during lunch. Many times he was checking on the food (likely temperature, presentation, etc.). He seemed to frequently have a huge salad bowl in front of him (Greek Salad) that he was preparing (we did not see this beautiful salad once on our last cruise). Other times - at lunch he was behind the grills - helping to prepare food while checking on it.

They (Donald and Daniela) encourage passengers to come to them with any issues regarding food, service, the lounges, restaurants, etc. They stop at tables to make sure that everything is as it should be. This is a good time to insert a comment about Executive Chef Kelly (not to be confused with Chef Kelly in the Culinary Kitchen). He also stops by tables in all dining venues to check on the food. At this point it should also be said that I wouldn't know who the F&B Director was on our last cruise. I didn't see anyone that appeared to be overseeing the food on the Pool Deck. I mention the Pool Deck a lot because passengers are not behind the scenes in CR, P7, Chartreuse/Signatures, etc. The pool deck and La Veranda is where Donald and Daniela are most visible at lunch.

Basically, they are simply on top of things. I rarely complain but thought that it was odd that the glasses in the Observation Lounge on Explorer were quite spotted. Although there was an excuse for this, once I mentioned it to Daniela, we never saw spotted glasses again. I also mentioned a problem with the tables in the Observation Lounge on Explorer. The ship was only 4 months old and they were scratched and looked badly. If they could have sent them back to the manufacturer I'm sure they would have. Within a few days, workmen came onboard and did something to the "gold" on the tables (perhaps painted them) and they looked like new again.

Keep in mind that I didn't "know" Daniela, Donald or even Frank Galzy (when he was F&B), but met them through discussions about food (not always complaints - usually compliments about how great the food on the ship was). Now we have sailed with these lovely people for years and we are extremely happy when we know that they will be onboard because we know that they pay attention to every detail.

Invisible officers/chefs can certainly be excellent. The Executive Chef that we had on Explorer for two voyages is probably the best in the fleet and, unfortunately, I don't even know his name. However, when we did a back to back on Explorer last November, we did notice the food was not quite as perfect as it was on the previous cruises (it was a different Executive Chef).

I likely should have said something about the lukewarm food on the Mariner but didn't. I still don't know why the food in CR was hot and very good but the side dishes were lukewarm, the food in Signatures & P7 was excellent and the food in La Veranda is the worst that we have had to date.

I remember when I thought (and shared my thoughts on the questionnaires) that Franck Galzy should be training General Managers on all Regent ships so their responses to passengers would be consistent. He cares not only about passengers but about the crew (likely because he came up through the ranks which all G.M.'s did not). I don't know what ever happened with that but, for the first time since I've been sailing Regent, I think that ALL of their G.M.'s are top notch and we are thrilled to sail to any of them.

IMO, there needs to be better consistency with the food. I know they use the same recipes but my DH and I can use the same recipe and come with very different results. I"m not sure if the lukewarm food issue is the responsibility of the Executive Chef or the F&B Director. I suspect that people in both positions work together to try to insure the best food that they can present to their guests.

This is likely much longer of an answer than you wanted but I do tend to be long winded.

• 2 weeks later...
Jackie, learned today that the following key Mariner leaders will begin serving per dates below. The other key crew leaders of the Mariner staff for later this year have not been "fully set" yet. (i.e., HD/CD). Tho did learn that Rose Mary will be Chief Housekeeper from early Jan thru May 2018.

Master: Captain Teo from 12/12/17 thru 2/25/18

F&B Director Donald 12/7/17 thru 3/20/18

Restaurant Mgr Alin 9/27/17 thru 2/25/18

Wes, finally have a definitive answer about C.D. Heard from Paul Reynolds this morning -- he is leaving the Mariner tomorrow (the 27th) and Lorraine will board. So, she should be on until January 27th (approximately).

Just reread dates for the return of Donald and Capt. Teo and am bummed. Really wanted to see Donald for our November cruise.:(

Thanks very much for the Mariner crew leader follow-up Jackie.

We look forward to sailing with Lorraine again--she does such a terrific job during the Christmas Holiday season. Those Mariner holiday cruisers are in for a special treat. Am guessing Paul will be back on board o/a Jan 27 to relieve Lorraine.

Your very, very strong recommendation of Donald is also reassuring that we will enjoy very good cuisine (and hiccup cocktails/wine) when on board.

Reggie (Regent Seven Seas) thanks so much for adding even more Mariner crew manning fidelity. And will echo many other Regent cruise critics welcoming you to the Regent cruise critic board!