From us, no ovation for Encore

florisdekort

It is so interesting how people can have very different opinions of the same cruise. I completely respect the OP's views, as I am sure they reflect their own experience. However, I was on the same cruise, and apart from my dubious Retreat day, I have really enjoyed the Encore. Service has been excellent, we have been addressed by name in all venues (not that it is so important to us, but it is nice), food of a very high standard and completely acceptable. The ship itself is beautiful, although the cabin is narrower as others have noted, it isn't an issue for us. Internet has been fast (for a ship), perhaps our cabin is in a good location for the signal. Sure, the public areas can get busy, but I find that on most ships. Just before arrival in port, people tend to congregate in Seabourn Square, and on hot days the pool area is congested at peak times. But I found that on the Odyssey earlier this year as well. As is usual for our Seabourn cruises, we have made some lovely new friends and they all seem to be enjoying the ship, with no complaints. I would love the Seabourn ships to have a promenade deck, but clearly that isn't the case with any of the current fleet, so I get off the ship and walk to get my much needed exercise. So overall our experience has been very good and depending on the itinerary, I would choose the Encore again.

We also spent 20 days on the Encore July/Aug and thought there are some definite improvements. More space in the Colonnade between tables being one example, the Shushi and TK Lounge, and the lower ceiling in the MDR which brings down the level of noise when one is seated with a group trying to have a conversation. We had no issues w/ service, we were offered the soap choices, our glasses were never left empty, and did not notice a lack of staffing except in the Square a few afternoons after the BCN strike was announced and lots of people were looking for help in rebooking - which incidentally turned into a non-event the day we disembarked.

That said, I totally agree with the OP and others about the Retreat and the way too small pool / pool area for the additional 150 pax. If you do not like the upsized ships, there will be plenty of competition coming on line over the next couple of years in the 200-300 pax sized ships.

For the first and only time on a Seabourn ship, the food was a problem for us - but we realise this is totally subjective. The Colonnade was as excellent as ever, but was taken over on at least 2 nights for the TK nonsense. The Patio Grill - another favourite on the 'O' class ships was dreadful on Encore - very little choice and no service. We sailed on Odyssey a couple of months later and the Patio there was excellent, so there is no excuse for the reduced menu on Encore. We didn't like the MDR - too large and we just didn't like most of the menus offered there. As a result we ended up with room service on 3 evenings. Not a big deal as we like the room service menu, but it was certainly a first for us. Thats not to say that the food on Encore wasn't of a high standard - but you can't please all of the people all of the time!

We must have sailed on a different ship, we have just returned having spent 20 days on Encore. This was our second cruise on Encore with another booked for March.

We had a great time, no problems with service etc.

Not too keen on Keller restaurant but loved the bar.

Sorry your experience was not as good as our

That’s funny...

We felt just great upon entering the Colonnade for lunch at the start of our full August 2 week Odyssey cruise after our February-ending Encore cruise of 44 days.

Why? It’s simple. It’s the space and the calm. No crowds anywhere and access to all the facilities and decks with no queues or restrictions ie the Encore’s pretentious Retreat. It seems that ships like those of the Odyssey class will not be built for Seabourn again.

That’s a new definition of luxury for us, something we had never considered was an issue for a Seabourn ship until we spent time on a full Encore.

Happy and healthy sailing!

I liked Encore enough to sail on it twice, and will again. I agree with everything that Floris wrote however. I enjoyed the Keller bar, and the extra outdoor dining space in the Collonnade.

I'm booked on the Sojourn soon, and I wonder how it will feel to be back on an Odyssey class ship after two sailings on Encore.

Despite all of its shortcomings, Encore is a really nice ship.....

Just back from 10 days on the Encore. My quick thoughts:

- the service was fantastic, not so much use of our names but we did not mind

- the food in the MDR was wonderful and the service, particularly in Alex's section was outstanding. Attentive but not stuffy.

- we grabbed one of the prime sofas on Deck 10 on a sea day at 11am. Yes the Patio Grill was mobbed at 1230 but we expected that

- the Observation Bar cocktail lady, Vicjtoria was amazing

- we never waited around anywhere for drinks for longer than a couple of minutes at the most

- our British tastes did not match the TK Grill. A very disappointing meal of an inelegant veal steak, an uncooked bone marrow croquette and an accident involving a dropped gravy boat didn't help.

- lots of comments about the point of the Retreat

Yes we noticed one or two cutbacks, but it certainly didn't spoil the cruise. We had an amazing time!

We agree with the original poster. We did 10 days on the Encore, in July and found it to be grossly overpriced. The food was mediocre, service ok, and entertainment pitiful. Suites are superb with many amenities.........As we heard time and time again, there is no value on this ship.

I'm not sure what you are comparing the entertainment to. If a ship with several thousand passengers and a full stage theatre then 5 singers, 2 dancers and a house band performing in a room with 7 foot ceilings will always struggle to compete but I was mightily impressed by the feature shows. They punched well beyond their weight. The combination of technology, artist and script made for a very refreshing upgrade. I'm not into musicals and show tunes so appreciated the variety, that said the Tim Rice show was great.

In terms of value I've always struggled to find better value out there. You touched on the superb suites and I wonder if you appreciate their value? On board real estate costs money and ultimately dictates your fare. You can fit two 180 sq ft cabins into one 360 sq ft suite. Your suite on Seabourn will have been around 300 sq ft. So when comparing to other lines make sure you choose comparable accommodation. Most ships standard accommodation is circa 180 sq ft.

I often make fun of the fact Seabourn call their cabins suites but to be fair on any other ship that's what you would be paying for, a premium priced suite. Considerably more expensive than the headline rate shoe box cabin.

I'm a canny fellow when it comes to money and have struggled to better Seabourn on price. If anyone has any suggestions for 300 sq ft plus accommodation elsewhere feel free to share......

Henry :)

I'm not sure what you are comparing the entertainment to. If a ship with several thousand passengers and a full stage theatre then 5 singers, 2 dancers and a house band performing in a room with 7 foot ceilings will always struggle to compete but I was mightily impressed by the feature shows. They punched well beyond their weight. The combination of technology, artist and script made for a very refreshing upgrade. I'm not into musicals and show tunes so appreciated the variety, that said the Tim Rice show was great.

In terms of value I've always struggled to find better value out there. You touched on the superb suites and I wonder if you appreciate their value? On board real estate costs money and ultimately dictates your fare. You can fit two 180 sq ft cabins into one 360 sq ft suite. Your suite on Seabourn will have been around 300 sq ft. So when comparing to other lines make sure you choose comparable accommodation. Most ships standard accommodation is circa 180 sq ft.

I often make fun of the fact Seabourn call their cabins suites but to be fair on any other ship that's what you would be paying for, a premium priced suite. Considerably more expensive than the headline rate shoe box cabin.

I'm a canny fellow when it comes to money and have struggled to better Seabourn on price. If anyone has any suggestions for 300 sq ft plus accommodation elsewhere feel free to share......

Henry :)

Henry,

This is the comment I always make when people say Oceania is so much cheaper. it is if you're willing to sail in a tiny cabin. If you want anything comparable to Seabourn you have to book a penthouse which brings the cost, especially once you facto in drinks and tips, to the same level if not higher than Seabourn.

While Seabourn isn't perfect - who is? - it usually manages to get things right and we have yet to find anyone better. And we've tried them all, trust me. No, they're not the cheapest and don't claim to be. But we believe they represent by far the best value for money which is why we keep coming back, although we will probably avoid the Encore in future.

Oceania R class balcony cabins are small at 216 sq.ft. However their two larger ships Riviera and Marina balcony cabins are 242 sq.ft. They have nice bathrooms with a tub on the larger ships. I have cruised with Seabourn, Regent, Silver Seas, Crystal and Windstar. I found the food on the Riviera the best at sea.

I understand these larger ships ( 1250 pax. ) are not for everyone. I loved all 4 specialty restaurants and the MDR. Never felt crowded except in the buffet area at lunch.

Oceania R class balcony cabins are small at 216 sq.ft. However their two larger ships Riviera and Marina balcony cabins are 242 sq.ft. They have nice bathrooms with a tub on the larger ships. I have cruised with Seabourn, Regent, Silver Seas, Crystal and Windstar. I found the food on the Riviera the best at sea.

I understand these larger ships ( 1250 pax. ) are not for everyone. I loved all 4 specialty restaurants and the MDR. Never felt crowded except in the buffet area at lunch.

All the extra square footage in the regular cabins are in the bathrooms so it's true they are more spacious than the R ships. BUT the cabin itself is still small and crowded. They'd have to pay me to sail in one of those.

We thoroughly enjoyed afternoon tea each afternoon on Encore. I don't recall if the waiter had on gloves or not, but he did come around with a rolling case with scones and our order for tea was taken and delivered. The waiter asked me if he could bring other items to me from the buffet. I preferred to go and pick them out myself. I loved the crustless cucumber/cream cheese sandwiches and the smoked salmon on toast.