Whale watching

JustAGirl79

Looking for recommendations for a whale watching tour in January 2018. Lots of options available but wondering if anyone has a recommendation they would care to share.

Our ship's shore excursion is $137 CDN for a rib boat (2.5 hours) or $100 CDN for "regular" boat (3.5 hours).

• 4 weeks later...

Dominica is the only place I have actually seen whales after 5 attempts (2 in Canada, 2 in Carib). The rib boat is inflatable and bounces around quite a bit over the waves but fewer people. Our tour was on a larger boat with 2 decks and 50 people. Didn't seem that crowded. Saw 4 different whale, one dove under the boat. We did the tour through the cruise (Celebrity) for around $80 USD.

• 1 month later...

It's now post hurricane and I hope you are still able to stop on Dominica in January.

We ere there in January 2016 and did the RIB boat. The boat is fast and fun. Yes it bounces...it a large zodiac type boat. Much more exciting than the "big boat".

Only you know which you prefer, but do go whale watching. We saw several and I think that is pretty typical.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks! I've gone whale watching in San Diego and Newfoundland, and still haven't seen any! Dominica may be it.

If you want a guaranteed, money back whale watch I can only say one thing....

Juneau, Alaska

• 2 months later...
thinfool We just got back from a whale watch with Harv and Marv in Juneau. It was spectacular (which is why I am a bit hesitant to book this one). If anyone is ever in Juneau its a must do.

We have been with Harv and Marv and it was excellent. We have been in Maui and in British Columbia. So I agree that I’m a little hesitant but looking for the best thing to do in Dominica.

• 4 months later...
On 8/5/2018 at 10:37 PM, SharonK said:

We have been with Harv and Marv and it was excellent. We have been in Maui and in British Columbia. So I agree that I’m a little hesitant but looking for the best thing to do in Dominica.

We just came back from our cruise and did a whale watching tour with the cruise ship.  We also have done Harv and Marv, which was NO comparison to what we saw.  We counted about 75 people on the "cattle-maran", quite different from the 6 person boat that Harv and Marv used.  We did see a pod of dolphins, 2 sperm whales, Caribbean flying fish, and a dead body floating.  They had to stop and call the authorities.  We were told later on in the cruise that it was a local who had gone missing a few days ago, and had epilepsy.