Crown Princess to Alaska - R/T from Seattle - 4 June 2016 to 11 June 2016

journeycollector

What a great review! Loved seeing your pictures as well. Do you happen to have any additional Princess Patters you can share either here or via e-mail? Am going on this ship in a few weeks with a large group, including several kids. Would like to get an idea of the onboard activities offered for this kind of itinerary.

Thanks!

Here's a link to an album of all the Patters from our cruise:

• 5 weeks later...

This is brilliant! My husband and I binged all of Twin Peaks earlier this year and instantly Google'd the hotel. This is a must on a future Seattle trip for us! Love all your pics! I bet you guys are excited for the "new" season to start in 2017. Get your coffee mugs ready. :)

Wednesday, June 1

We got up way too early...had a 5:30am flight out of Milwaukee on Southwest Airlines to Seattle, connecting at Dallas Love Field. The flight got into Seattle at 11:30am which allowed us to maximize our sightseeing starting on day 1.

Now I could say that my partner and I booked a night at Salish Lodge and Spa in Snoqualmie, Washington because it's a great hotel. Yes, it's true...it is. But it also happens to be one of the filming locations of our all-time favorite TV show "Twin Peaks" (you remember it? The now cult classic show only aired from 1990-1991).

Many of the exterior filming locations are centered just outside of Seattle in Snoqualmie and North Bend.

So after landing at Sea-Tac, we rented a car and drove the 40 minutes to Salish Lodge and Spa for our first night.

...And that's when we started geeking out. #sorrynotsorry

First up, the Salish Lodge and Spa, majestically perched at the top of Snoqualmie Falls. It functioned as the "Great Northern Hotel" on "Twin Peaks." Here's a pano shot with the hotel on the left side of the falls.

27601219191_9638c6a679_b.jpg

Here's me with a closer shot of Salish Lodge and the falls.

Then it was off to North Bend to have a "damn fine cup of coffee" and a slice of cherry pie at Twede's Cafe (on "Twin Peaks," this was the Double R diner).

Did some hiking at Snoqualmie Point Park (featured as the "picnic spot" scene on "Twin Peaks").

Found the exact spot on the road that's used in the opening credits to "Twin Peaks." For the record, my partner liked "Twin Peaks" first and then I became a convert!

Did some more hiking around the falls (smell that fresh air!) and had a great dinner and cocktails back at the Salish Lodge.

We did the "Twin Peaks" package at the hotel (of course!) and it included a map of all of the local filming locations. By the way, the show has been resurrected. Look for it on Showtime in 2017.

Save

Save

Save

Loved your trip report!! Me & my son took our 1st cruise in 2014 and went to Alaska also and we loved it!!! Let me warn you about your next cruise, I was sorta let down by our cruise we took in 2015 (not to Alaska) cause everything was just so exciting there. The ship we took was great but the scenery was different. My brother told me you started with the best cruise & that was to Alaska now every other cruise will not live up to the first and he was right!

Thank you for your trip report!!Brought back a lot of memories for me!

We can't wait to see the "new" Twin Peaks! We loved staying at the hotel and seeing the sites!

This is brilliant! My husband and I binged all of Twin Peaks earlier this year and instantly Google'd the hotel. This is a must on a future Seattle trip for us! Love all your pics! I bet you guys are excited for the "new" season to start in 2017. Get your coffee mugs ready. :)

Save

Save

Save

Thanks...I'll have to remember that! I think the next time we cruise it will be in the winter to escape the Wisconsin cold for a few days. ;)

Loved your trip report!! Me & my son took our 1st cruise in 2014 and went to Alaska also and we loved it!!! Let me warn you about your next cruise, I was sorta let down by our cruise we took in 2015 (not to Alaska) cause everything was just so exciting there. The ship we took was great but the scenery was different. My brother told me you started with the best cruise & that was to Alaska now every other cruise will not live up to the first and he was right!

Thank you for your trip report!!Brought back a lot of memories for me!

• 3 months later...
You did a great job of telling and showing your vacation adventure!

Having lived in Seattle my whole life (53 years) you were VERY lucky! it's NEVER nice here in the summer and the sun hardly ever shines. ;)

Hah! That's what everyone kept telling us! I remember getting a sunburn walking around Seattle--and I never get sunburnt! :)

Hi

Love reading your trip report and theirs are beautiful

Wanting to book a cruise for my husbands 64th birthday.

Did ypu do tours from the ship or on your own? I thought with Alaska you need to do their tours

Thanks

Thanks! We mostly arranged our own tours (whale watching in Juneau, Yukon tour in Skagway, floatplane in Ketchikan). I used the reviews here on Cruise Critic and Tripadvisor to make our decisions. So much good info here makes the job easier! You can certainly book through the ship, but I enjoyed planning our own and saving a little money. :) In the end, do what makes you the most comfortable, so you can relax and enjoy your vacation!

• 8 months later...

Loved your review. We are going on Princess Ruby in June 2018

We are flying in the day before around 1 pm. Woukd like to go to to Space Needle and Pike Market. Was wondering about crowds. If we pre purchase the ticket for Space Needle do you still have to wait online? And do you advise getting tickets for Space Needle Friday late afternoon and then going to Pike in the morning before the cruise?

Would have loved to stay 2 nights precruise but with the price of cruise etc just too much

Thanks for your help

If we pre purchase the ticket for Space Needle do you still have to wait online? And do you advise getting tickets for Space Needle Friday late afternoon and then going to Pike in the morning before the cruise?

Would have loved to stay 2 nights precruise but with the price of cruise etc just too much

Info on tickets:

https://www.spaceneedle.com/faq/

The Market gets very crowded; uncomfortable by 11am. A Sat morning visit would be ideal, plus you'll avoid the noon rush at the pier; check out of your hotel, ask them to hold your luggage, do some sightseeing, then collect your suitcases when you're ready to head to the ship. The pier is only 10-15 minutes from downtown.

After the Market walk down to the waterfront and catch a water taxi over to Alki Beach in West Seattle. Great views of the Seattle skyline for only $5 each way. http://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/water-taxi.aspx

BTW, the Space Needle isn't the only observation tower in town. The Columbia Center is much taller and has an observation deck. http://skyviewobservatory.com/#/home

Loved your review. We are going on Princess Ruby in June 2018

We are flying in the day before around 1 pm. Woukd like to go to to Space Needle and Pike Market. Was wondering about crowds. If we pre purchase the ticket for Space Needle do you still have to wait online? And do you advise getting tickets for Space Needle Friday late afternoon and then going to Pike in the morning before the cruise?

Thanks for your help

Yep, you can purchase timed tickets for the Space Needle online and then walk straight in at the appointed time. I think the nice little itinerary that mapleleaves provided above sounds great. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing the pictures and your cruise with us! I am going to Alaska for the first time in June 2019 and know if will different than what Iam used too, having cruised the Caribbean several times. I am excited to see the sites, and experience Alaska! Bring on the fleece and rain gear!

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for sharing the pictures and your cruise with us! I am going to Alaska for the first time in June 2019 and know if will different than what Iam used too, having cruised the Caribbean several times. I am excited to see the sites, and experience Alaska! Bring on the fleece and rain gear!

Awesome...now I'm doing the reverse: Alaska was my 1st cruise, now a Caribbean cruise is booked for December. Happy Alaska planning!