Food experience on Seabourn gone downhill since Carnival taken over.

Mcadamia

On our 14 day Odyssey cruise earlier this year the MDR was open for lunch on only two days, and on both of these days both The Colonnade and The Patio Grill were closed for lunch, so effectively the MDR was then the only restaurant open. These two days were the beach BBQ days, but we noticed that quite a few pax stayed on board and did not attend the beach BBQ. We don't mind lunch at either Colonnade or Patio Grill but would enjoy the option of the MDR for lunch if it were made available more frequently.

• 3 months later...
Cruisr,

I was referring to the date when Carnival bought out their partners in 2001. But whether you want to use the 2001 or 1998 date (when they upped their ownership from the previous 50% with a partners to 100%) the point remains that this did not happen in the last three years as the OP suggests in their thread title.

In the last three years the only changes I have noticed food wise in terms of choice is that due to the addition of the Keller menu there are fewer choices on the regular menu. But this still is not a decrease in choice overall -- they took away some and added the Keller. Menus have always been relatively red meat centric. I don't eat much red meat at home but do enjoy the qualify beef and lamb on a Seabourn . But I easily avoid red meat on Seabourn and dine with various options.

The OP has options that they may not have explored. First of all, you can occasionally put in a special order. If you do it well in advance and they have it on board they will be happy to prepare it for you. Also another option to avoid red meat is have a couple of appetizers (which often are quite interesting and less likely to be meat centric) instead of an appetizer and a main course.

As to talking to the F&B manager about cooking food you bring on board I doubt if that will work as they can only serve food they have purchased due to health and safety protocols.

As to an Australian diet being more varied than a US one I hardly think that is the case. We not only have widely varied regional cuisine but even the smallest towns boast a wide variety of restaurants offering cuisine from many countries.

Honestly, if the OP is that unhappy they really should cancel and book another cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I remember being on a cruise and eating with a lovely gang of American ultra-foodies, some of whom were restrauters during an excursion in Morocco. They were all taken aback when the tajines were served. They had never seen such a thing and were impressed when my wife and I knew what they were. “But you’re from Australia” they cried. We then explained that Australia, like the US, has migrants from all over the world who have brought their cuisine with them.

I would like to ask a question or two of you all, if you don’t mind.

I have read a few reviews of Seabourn in recent times and it appears that what has happened is that passenger ships. From what I understand this has changed the whole dynamic of the SB experience from a true luxe offering to something more like mini cruise ship. Is that correct?

Is it also correct that SB has expanded the product but has not attracted more of the same sort of passenger it had on the small ships, so much

as attracting a lot of less discerning people?If the answer to these questions is in the affirmative, could it be that the effort to increase passenger numbers may be one of the reasons for any decline in the quality of the food?

I have been on two luxury cruise lines, Regent and Paul Gaugin. The food on the first was good but a wee bit stodgy. The PG food was slightly better. Both sound a lot like what the OP said about the SB experience.

The best food I’ve had at sea was on SeaDream, which is not a cruise ship, but a yacht. There is but one dining venue which is spread out all over the yacht, both in the formal dining room and at various places on deck. The buffet portion of lunch and dinner is only part of the fare, the rest of which is ordered a la carte. There is always an interesting special at breakfast and dinner.

As the OP stated, Australia is is home to some very spectacular fine dining establishments. One of the big things in that milieu is using Asian styles in presenting western food.

Thus rather than tryin Asian dishes per se, the chefs on SB and other cruise ships should use some “Asian flavours” in preparing western dishes.

Tory, maybe you should try SB before opining. I’ve been on Regent and Paul Gaugin as well, and I prefer Seabourn.

I can’t speak to the various opinions, or the food knowledge and tastes of those that write them. After all, there are legions of people that write good things about the food on Oceania. For each their own!

I would like to ask a question or two of you all, if you don’t mind.

I have read a few reviews of Seabourn in recent times and it appears that what has happened is that passenger ships. From what I understand this has changed the whole dynamic of the SB experience from a true luxe offering to something more like mini cruise ship. Is that correct?

Is it also correct that SB has expanded the product but has not attracted more of the same sort of passenger it had on the small ships, so much

as attracting a lot of less discerning people?If the answer to these questions is in the affirmative, could it be that the effort to increase passenger numbers may be one of the reasons for any decline in the quality of the food?

I have been on two luxury cruise lines, Regent and Paul Gaugin. The food on the first was good but a wee bit stodgy. The PG food was slightly better. Both sound a lot like what the OP said about the SB experience.

The best food I’ve had at sea was on SeaDream, which is not a cruise ship, but a yacht. There is but one dining venue which is spread out all over the yacht, both in the formal dining room and at various places on deck. The buffet portion of lunch and dinner is only part of the fare, the rest of which is ordered a la carte. There is always an interesting special at breakfast and dinner.

As the OP stated, Australia is is home to some very spectacular fine dining establishments. One of the big things in that milieu is using Asian styles in presenting western food.

Thus rather than tryin Asian dishes per se, the chefs on SB and other cruise ships should use some “Asian flavours” in preparing western dishes.

This is simply my opinion. With all your trepidations stay away from Seabourn since it sounds like you'd be boarding and looking for things to go wrong. Why put yourself and the staff through that?

Tory, maybe you should try SB before opining. I’ve been on Regent and Paul Gaugin as well, and I prefer Seabourn.

I can’t speak to the various opinions, or the food knowledge and tastes of those that write them. After all, there are legions of people that write good things about the food on Oceania. For each their own!

I didn't opine. I am trying to determine whether SB would be a good line to try. I read a well reasoned review on CC that said that SB has diluted its product by getting rid of the small ships and doubling and trebling the number of passengers. My question was whether the experienced people here agreed with the ideas put forth in that review.

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=601783

Please keep in mind the name of this website is Cruise CRITIC. All cruise lines are changing and adapting to an ever changing industry. Is it the same as it was when there were 200 passenger ships? No but don’t be misled into thinking that there has been an overall free fall of service and quality. I would suggest the variations from cruise to cruise would play a bigger factor than overall company policies. If you get on board looking for problems you will find them. If you get on board with the mind that you are about to explore some great ports and expect great service you normally won’t be disappointed. I’ve never been on a Seabourn cruise without some glitches but choose instead to focus on the vast majority of things that have gone right.

I didn't opine. I am trying to determine whether SB would be a good line to try. I read a well reasoned review on CC that said that SB has diluted its product by getting rid of the small ships and doubling and trebling the number of passengers. My question was whether the experienced people here agreed with the ideas put forth in that review.

I have read similar things prior to all my cruises and just about everything I read, I did not experience. I am not saying the writer didn’t, but to me, the experience that counts to me is mine. If I believed everything I read I would not have cruised at all.

We have been very happy with the food on SB, perfect - no, but overall fabulous.

I have read similar things prior to all my cruises and just about everything I read, I did not experience. I am not saying the writer didn’t, but to me, the experience that counts to me is mine. If I believed everything I read I would not have cruised at all.

We have been very happy with the food on SB, perfect - no, but overall fabulous.

Thank you for that response. I will consider Seabourn as a contender in the future.

Please keep in mind the name of this website is Cruise CRITIC. All cruise lines are changing and adapting to an ever changing industry. Is it the same as it was when there were 200 passenger ships? No but don’t be misled into thinking that there has been an overall free fall of service and quality. I would suggest the variations from cruise to cruise would play a bigger factor than overall company policies. If you get on board looking for problems you will find them. If you get on board with the mind that you are about to explore some great ports and expect great service you normally won’t be disappointed. I’ve never been on a Seabourn cruise without some glitches but choose instead to focus on the vast majority of things that have gone right.

I agree that one gets great service if one is ready with a positive attitude and a smile.

I suspect that the reviewer I linked to was just a bit sad that Seabourn had moved from a yachting line to a cruise line. He may, as you say, been looking for the negative. It is also possible that he stayed on the ship too long.

Tory, I agree with others, I don't think SB is for you.

Have any of the others said that?

I have to say I really liked the picture presented of the old 200 passenger Seabourn that was painted by the review to which I linked. It sounded like a perfect up market experience, like SeaDream.

But several posters have told me that the experience is still as good with the bigger ships. Do you agree with that opinion?

But several posters have told me that the experience is still as good with the bigger ships. Do you agree with that opinion?

Yes, my experience on the Encore was fabulous, better than expected. So much so, I have an upcoming cruise booked on the Ovation.

I read the review and though I understand some of this persons concerns I would query some of their comments. Having sailed on the small ships quite a few times the comment about no formal nights is incorrect. There was always a formal night unless a very short cruise. The concept of formal optional only came about when the Odyssey class came out.

The older demographic of the cruise may have been due to the time of year. It certainly is the case on cruises I have sailed on. Definitely during the Summer in the Med the demographic is quite mixed with many younger passengers.

We have mixed feelings about Encore having sailed on her in January last year but that was on the inaugural which was very busy. However we are willing to try Encore again this July. We had a wonderful cruise on Sojourn in July last year both for food and wine so will go with an open mind.

Julie

I think it depends largely on one's expectations. I have always found the food on Seabourn to be excellent and certainly better than the one time I cruised with Regent.

But .... i am not a 'foodie'. Give me a nice steak au poivre with fries/chips and I am a happy bunny. Just so long as it is tender and cooked the way I like it which it always has been.

We sailed twice on the little sisters and once on the 'O' class Sojourn. Didn't really notice the increase in number of passengers, but did notice the increase in spaciousness and loved the Seabourn Square and Colannade. Have booked again for a cruise next year on it. Not sure about the two new ships, but for us, it is all about the itinerary so we may end up there sooner or later. :)

Food is very subjective. There are many that like large portions of heavy sauced food, and others that like smaller portions of more well prepared minimalist food.

I’ve been sailing on SB for only five years, and I sailed on Regent prior to that. I think Regent’s food used to be ( it’s been over 5 years ) more old school in its preparation, like Oceania is now. Seabourn is somewhat more modern. Of course I think restaurant two was part of that more modern theme, and now it’s been replaced with TK Grill which is IMO a really good version of that old school style. Seabourn is evolving, and some will like the evolution and others will miss what was.

I think it’s certain that it’s more difficult to cook for 400, or with Encore 600...there’s going to be more mistakes, and service issues, but given the modernity of the ships, I can live with that.

Having bounced between Seabourn and Silversea numerous times over the past 10 years, IMHO, all aspects of the luxury experience is cyclical. Two good years on one line, then standards slip and off you go to the opposition until the same occurs there. In most cases when returning to the previous line standards have returned to the original high standard.

The positive in being able to quiz other cruisers on cruise critic, is being able to make a more judgmental decision based on fact.

If you cruise on a regular basis the only way to truly know if the grass is greener is to jump ship and post your experiences here. The luxury cruise industry will be awash with new players during 2018-19, which makes it even more difficult choosing your next cruise without some friendly advice.

Having bounced between Seabourn and Silversea numerous times over the past 10 years, IMHO, all aspects of the luxury experience is cyclical. Two good years on one line, then standards slip and off you go to the opposition until the same occurs there. In most cases when returning to the previous line standards have returned to the original high standard.

The positive in being able to quiz other cruisers on cruise critic, is being able to make a more judgmental decision based on fact.

If you cruise on a regular basis the only way to truly know if the grass is greener is to jump ship and post your experiences here. The luxury cruise industry will be awash with new players during 2018-19, which makes it even more difficult choosing your next cruise without some friendly advice.

Well said.

Toryhere - we have cruised at least three times with Regent, Seadream, Silversea and Seabourn.

What makes us come back to Seabourn and not any of the others is probably that when we decide who our next cruise is to be with, it is always Seabourn nowadays.

As to why, this is completely personal, but I think it is mainly the staff on board - personable, intelligent, friendly and helpful. Obviously we also think that the overall standard of food etc. is at least as good as any of the other lines.

You may have different priorities.

Sometimes you can get a cruise where the food just doesn't seem to work for you. Personally, I think Seabourn have excellent food and menus - especially in The Restaurant. I sailed on Odyssey last year and every night in The Restaurant was a delight (I think the head chef was a young Australian).

However, I've sailed Encore too and having now eaten in Tom's Grill a bunch of times (on Odyssey + Encore), the menu is getting tiresome. That said, the quality is very good.