Healy/Denali Lodging

Tyskie

After doing an extensive search, I haven't found too much recent information/reviews on the following:

Denali Dome Home B&B

Denali Touch of Wilderness B&B

Denali Lakeview Inn

Of course there is McKinley Creekside Cafe & Cabins - very convenient for having both food & lodging - reviews seem constant.

We like when there is breakfast in the AM - possibly a bag lunch for purchase and that doesn't break the budget. Trying to stay away from the hustle & bustle ;)

You can buy sack lunches at any of the large hotels or at the restaurants in Glitter Gulch (like Subway), or even the Morino Grill by the Visitor Center inside the Park.

If you want to save money, pick up rolls and coldcuts at a grocery store in Wasilla and make your own. Or, just pick up snacks like string cheese, apple, trail mix, water, then share a sandwich from Subway.

We stayed at the Motel Nord Haven, now called the Aurora Denali Lodge I believe, located in Healy. We chose this place because we too wanted to stay away from the hustle and bustle. The rooms were very nice, they had a fantastic breakfast buffet and they prepared box lunches (for a small fee) for the shuttle ride into the Park. There is also a diner out front where we ate dinner one night. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice place to stay at a reasonable price.

For recent info on your lodging choices, uss tripadvisor. NOT the review section, but the Alaska travel forum. Use the search tool with the words 'dome' and 'lakeview'. Sort the responses by date. This will pull up trip reports and other current info.

Thank you

I have been using TA, Alaska.org and also the Denali Chamber of commerce. All have been helpful. Even the Milepost has been helpful already in locating places.

I did come across the Denali Lakeview Inn, AAA rated but nothing on TA or CC. Those that have breakfast included do not start serving until after 7-7:30 and by that time we'll be at the Park. (trying to stay away from Subway if possible)

At times I find TA Alaska confusing but I will specifically look for coalminer. Thanks AKStafford - I might get back to you about Wasilla ;)

I am hoping to book Denali Lakeview Inn for June 2018. Need to call them. They provide you w/ a continental type breakfast plate (leave it in your fridge each afternoon for the following morning - fruit, muffins, hard boiled eggs etc). We plan on bringing stuff for our own lunches, but I think Rose's Cafe does box lunches. It's not too far away. Don't know if Black Diamond Grill does them or not.

Thank you

I have been using TA, Alaska.org and also the Denali Chamber of commerce. All have been helpful. Even the Milepost has been helpful already in locating places.

I did come across the Denali Lakeview Inn, AAA rated but nothing on TA or CC. Those that have breakfast included do not start serving until after 7-7:30 and by that time we'll be at the Park. (trying to stay away from Subway if possible)

At times I find TA Alaska confusing but I will specifically look for coalminer. Thanks AKStafford - I might get back to you about Wasilla ;)

The Aurora Denali Lodge starts serving breakfast at 6:30.

I am hoping to book Denali Lakeview Inn for June 2018. Need to call them. They provide you w/ a continental type breakfast plate (leave it in your fridge each afternoon for the following morning - fruit, muffins, hard boiled eggs etc). We plan on bringing stuff for our own lunches, but I think Rose's Cafe does box lunches. It's not too far away. Don't know if Black Diamond Grill does them or not.

Thanks for the info- did more research & both Rose's & Black Diamond, will not only make box lunches but also deliver meals to the hotels & B&Bs close by[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We stayed at Denali Dome Home in 2016. We had a group of 8 and booked 3 rooms total. Would have booked 4, but we snagged the last 3 available rooms at time of booking, so our 2x teenage boys stayed in our room, too. We actually had to move to a different room on the 2nd night as our 1st night's room was pre-booked for the 2nd day. (Our 1st night room had a sauna-shower, and we guessed that the 2nd night's occupants specifically had requested that. We actually liked our 2nd night's room better, so it all worked out for the best.) They were very up-front at time of booking with us about this so no surprises, and they took care of moving all our stuff for us while we were out and about.

We all enjoyed our stay there very much. The hosts (Ann and Terry) were very warm and gracious. The house itself was extremely comfortable - all our rooms had private bathrooms in the room. The Great Room was comfy with a nice fireplace, and a beautiful yard with lots of wandering moose around. Breakfasts each morning by Terry with a variety of cereals, fruits, eggs to order, pancakes, sausage, etc. We enjoyed meeting the other guests (primarily seen at breakfast only).

I'm not sure whether they would have done box lunches for us. We ended up using the nearby Miner's Market which had a number of pre-made options as well as a sandwich counter where they'd make up sandwiches. The market had a wide variety of chips, sweets, drinks, etc. to make up a good lunch. It would take about 30m for our group of 8 to get in/out. If you are just a few people it would be like a long gas station stop. (And, yes, they are also a gas station.)

We also rented an 11 passenger van from them (in addition to the Dome Home they also run the "Keys to Denali" car rental business). Ann met us at arrival and later dropped us off at the train station, so that part was painless.

For a bit more info, you can see my blog at http://jumpyip.blogspot.com. The "Denali" and "Anchorage" tabs have further comments on DDH.

We stayed at Denali Dome Home in 2016. We had a group of 8 and booked 3 rooms total. Would have booked 4, but we snagged the last 3 available rooms at time of booking, so our 2x teenage boys stayed in our room, too. We actually had to move to a different room on the 2nd night as our 1st night's room was pre-booked for the 2nd day. (Our 1st night room had a sauna-shower, and we guessed that the 2nd night's occupants specifically had requested that. We actually liked our 2nd night's room better, so it all worked out for the best.) They were very up-front at time of booking with us about this so no surprises, and they took care of moving all our stuff for us while we were out and about.

We all enjoyed our stay there very much. The hosts (Ann and Terry) were very warm and gracious. The house itself was extremely comfortable - all our rooms had private bathrooms in the room. The Great Room was comfy with a nice fireplace, and a beautiful yard with lots of wandering moose around. Breakfasts each morning by Terry with a variety of cereals, fruits, eggs to order, pancakes, sausage, etc. We enjoyed meeting the other guests (primarily seen at breakfast only).

I'm not sure whether they would have done box lunches for us. We ended up using the nearby Miner's Market which had a number of pre-made options as well as a sandwich counter where they'd make up sandwiches. The market had a wide variety of chips, sweets, drinks, etc. to make up a good lunch. It would take about 30m for our group of 8 to get in/out. If you are just a few people it would be like a long gas station stop. (And, yes, they are also a gas station.)

We also rented an 11 passenger van from them (in addition to the Dome Home they also run the "Keys to Denali" car rental business). Ann met us at arrival and later dropped us off at the train station, so that part was painless.

For a bit more info, you can see my blog at http://jumpyip.blogspot.com. The "Denali" and "Anchorage" tabs have further comments on DDH.

I did remember reading your trip report. Investigated DDH & was sold! What changed my mind was our early tour at Denali & having to leave b4 breakfast. Kind of sad about that.

We have made other arrangements & hope it's the right decision.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did remember reading your trip report. Investigated DDH & was sold! What changed my mind was our early tour at Denali & having to leave b4 breakfast. Kind of sad about that.

We have made other arrangements & hope it's the right decision.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since you want to enjoy a leisurely b'fast, why not take a later bus? I think the chg fee is only $4 or $5 .

I dont know which shuttle you're taking, but Eielson leaves every 30 minutes for most of the summer.

Since you want to enjoy a leisurely b'fast, why not take a later bus? I think the chg fee is only $4 or $5 .

I dont know which shuttle you're taking, but Eielson leaves every 30 minutes for most of the summer.

Haven't made reservations yet-December (is that correct for June 2018???) Shuttle bus to Kantishna from what I can see leaves about 7:30am to get in the whole route.

As much as I want to savor all AK has to offer, I do want to see as much as we can [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After doing an extensive search, I haven't found too much recent information/reviews on the following:

Denali Dome Home B&B

Denali Touch of Wilderness B&B

Denali Lakeview Inn

Of course there is McKinley Creekside Cafe & Cabins - very convenient for having both food & lodging - reviews seem constant.

We like when there is breakfast in the AM - possibly a bag lunch for purchase and that doesn't break the budget. Trying to stay away from the hustle & bustle ;)

You must not be looking very hard or at all.. I found 11 recent reviews on TripAdvisor, 1 on Yelp, 10 on Google for your first choice. I found 14 recent reviews for the 2nd one on TripAdviser. Also 9 recent reviews for the 3d one on TripAdvisor.

How many more do you need?

DON

• 2 weeks later...
We stayed at the Motel Nord Haven, now called the Aurora Denali Lodge I believe, located in Healy. We chose this place because we too wanted to stay away from the hustle and bustle. The rooms were very nice, they had a fantastic breakfast buffet and they prepared box lunches (for a small fee) for the shuttle ride into the Park. There is also a diner out front where we ate dinner one night. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice place to stay at a reasonable price.

I recommend this place also. Best part was seeing the moose coming back from the park. Trip Advisor talked about where and timing.

We stayed at Denali Lakeview Inn quite a number of years ago, when it was a large family home. This thread prompted me to get out the photo album of the trip. The setting on Otto Lake is beautiful and very peaceful. I could see from current photos that the building has been enlarged, but the setting hasn't changed! It's just a little ways off the highway and convenient to Denali.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app